The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Today I received news on conditional offer(PhD Engineering) on the website, seeking college membership.

Please not Slytherin, not Slytherin.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Young Oldman

Please not Slytherin, not Slytherin.

Don't worry, the Sorting Hat is always right, and everyone loves their House when they get there :wink:
Original post by Jankenstein
Called the Trust from an internal university line on Monday. My application, and it seems like everyone else's, is still being considered, but they said the results may come anytime between now and July. They also said that given that I have other offers I need to decide on in 4-6 weeks, I should call them again as something might've changed in that time - so there's hope that we will hear before July.

Hey, sorry I mistyped - in the ostensibly automatically generated email, they told me June was when most MPhil students find out (not July). I can't shake the hope that I will get funding, but I know the odds are not great. Based on previous years it looks like only 10% (20% tops) of the 500 Trust awards when to MPhil's despite 1000's of offers made to MPhil's.

6 weeks seems to put you right at the beginning of June though so I can see how things might be different that close to expected notification date. It's good to know for myself too.

I'm going to attempt to become a paid research assistant in the lab (at $15-20/hr that would pay for tuition in full), but I don't know how likely that will be. I'm hoping my professor has a sizeable research grant to where that might be a possibility. I hope not to piss him off by asking though -- I really not sure if it's proper ettiquete.
Original post by Farchitect
MPhil.

There seems to a lot of guidance out there and YouTube reconstructions etc. of undergraduate Cambridge interviews, which for the most part seem pretty intense, are MPhil interviews likely to be a similar affair?

I wish I could help, my "interview" was nonconventional. I met with the prospective PI at a conference and he ticked "interview complete" in my GRADSAF application.

Oxford's interview was similar to videos I found online, so that might be a good proxy for the real thing I suspect.
Anyone know what they mean by finance documents to upload? I don't really understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mhd14
M.Phil in Bioscience Enterprise

Original post by slb12
I also applied for this course (but late feb) and haven't heard anything yet, do you think they've assigned all the spots?

Have either of you heard back yet?
Anyone have any idea what the "Grad College Decision" status means? Has a grad college made a decision? My college membership is still stuck on "Seeking college membership".
Reply 2607
accepted at magdalene college today. just saw this on CAMSIS, no official offer letter yet
Original post by ready
accepted at magdalene college today. just saw this on CAMSIS, no official offer letter yet

Do we get official letters? I got an acceptance email but not a letter
Reply 2609
Original post by MastersGirl
Do we get official letters? I got an acceptance email but not a letter

yes, u will get an official letter by post.

is this a nice college? no idea about it... got rejected by gonville and caius and ended up there.
Original post by ready

is this a nice college? no idea about it... got rejected by gonville and caius and ended up there.

Really? I received an offer months ago and never got anything in the post...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tedward
Really? I received an offer months ago and never got anything in the post...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't necessarily get something by post, although the college will send you a formal offer letter by email (though this might be several months delayed, as the college is considering applicants till quite late)
Original post by ready

The letter should arrive by post shortly, yes - just some financial undertaking forms etc.

I've got an offer from Magdalene for my MPhil for September and I finished my undergrad there last year. It's both a pretty and a friendly college. It spans the longest stretch of river of any of the colleges, and though it's on the smaller end of the spectrum, it has a decently-sized Fellow's garden which you can access at any time - one where you can freely walk on the grass. Magdalene's one of the old colleges, but it has a mix of old and new buildings. It's also close to the center of town - about 5-7min on foot - but it's reasonably private, with very few tourists. Formal halls take place every night during term, fully candlelit and decently priced (around £6 for 3 courses) - and it's next biannual May Ball, one of the most lavish and the only one where white tie is compulsory, will be in 2017. Great atmosphere, not too many people, and staff including porters are all friendly.
On Monday I was rejected by LSE so thinks don't look great in regards to my Cambridge application. I am currently still under consideration by the department :frown:
Reply 2614
I didn't know this is possible, and it might be interesting for some of you as well (or for future applicants): the EPSRC allows the Research Organisations to award up to 10% of their awards with open eligibility, i.e. no restrictions on nationality or residence. I don't know whether other Research Councils allow this too, though.
Reply 2615
Original post by emmaross
Anyone know what they mean by finance documents to upload? I don't really understand

If you receive a studentship/financial award of any kind, you're supposed to upload a letter of the awarding body confirming the award and the amount. Additionally, you'll have to fill in upload the financial undertaking form.
If you're self-funded, the only thing you have to upload is the financial undertaking form.
Reply 2616
I was accepted at Trinity Hall in February and I'd like to know a bit more about it. I see it's very pretty and smaller, but I'd like to know more about social life, support, funding, accomodations, etc. The college won't influence my decision (which is dependant on funding), but any information to help me better prepare would be grealty appreciated.

I'm an overseas international student going for a one-year MPhil in Development Studies.

Thanks!
Does anybody know if it would be worth applying for the MPhil Econ course with a first in a BA Economics and philosophy degree from the University of Nottingham?
The PGCE college allocation system is terrible. Since January I've had my college application passed between 3 colleges and still not heard anything, it seems to get 'stuck' at colleges when they forget.
Reply 2619
Original post by ARSHKFW
Does anybody know if it would be worth applying for the MPhil Econ course with a first in a BA Economics and philosophy degree from the University of Nottingham?

It's always worth applying :wink: You meet the minimum academic requirements with a first in a BA, but of course you need to make sure that your references (preferably both academic) and statement of interest are of the best possible quality as well. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending