The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Coventry for second year Nutrition?

I'm currently a student at the University of Westminster and have just completed my first year. They have been done me well, but having stayed there for a year I felt like I could get onto a better programme at a university that is more organised and where my future prospects could be better.

Anyway having contacted a few universities, Coventry have said that I can join them in the second year of Food and Nutrition, and Newcastle have (surprisingly) said the same.

I'm sure most on here will say it's a bit of a no-brainer, but I disagree. Newcastle is the Russell Group uni, but according to The Complete University Guide (2016 table), Coventry are superior in the food sciences this year. It is also constantly improving according to pretty much every source, and students seem to be far, far happier with their nutrition course compared to at Newcastle (Unistats + The Complete University Guide). It also has a strong coursework emphasis, which is where my strength lies compared to exams (although I do ok with those too)

On the flipside, Newcastle is the better regarded uni overall, and even with food sciences, it is usually above Coventry in the rankings. I'm also assuming it has more caché with future employers, although as I plan to go postgrad I'm equally concerned about how other universities see the institution. I'm assuming Newcastle just had a poor year, and that it's not the start of a slump that would only end when I leave!

Other things for me to consider are living costs (I am all kinds of broke, so I will need to work as well as study), Also, I am 30, so I hope that there is a decent mature student population wherever I am.

Anyway, advice please?
Help, please? :smile:
Original post by Drunken_Panda
Help, please? :smile:

Not to completely repeat your point but it should be a no brainer! Newcastle is an amazing all round reputation and it'll have better prospects and you'll have a great student experience here! Whereas I haven't really heard anything good about Coventry, it may be better for your specific subject but league tables fluctuate year on year and you're guaranteed Newcastle will stay steady whereas believe me Coventry could drop, I had a similar decision between Newcastle and Essex for Linguistics as Essex was ranked really highly when I was applying ( 5th if I remember correctly) whereas Newcastle was like 10th, now this year Essex are like 18th and Newcastle are 7th.

I genuinely think Newcastle will serve you a lot better
Original post by JordanC55
Not to completely repeat your point but it should be a no brainer! Newcastle is an amazing all round reputation and it'll have better prospects and you'll have a great student experience here! Whereas I haven't really heard anything good about Coventry, it may be better for your specific subject but league tables fluctuate year on year and you're guaranteed Newcastle will stay steady whereas believe me Coventry could drop, I had a similar decision between Newcastle and Essex for Linguistics as Essex was ranked really highly when I was applying ( 5th if I remember correctly) whereas Newcastle was like 10th, now this year Essex are like 18th and Newcastle are 7th.

I genuinely think Newcastle will serve you a lot better

I take it you are a Newcastle student? Could you tell me what you like about the uni, and what you feel could be improved? After ending up in Westminster I never thought I'd get the chance to get into a traditional uni, even if it is not the be all and end all. I'm pretty chuffed :smile:
Original post by Drunken_Panda
I take it you are a Newcastle student? Could you tell me what you like about the uni, and what you feel could be improved? After ending up in Westminster I never thought I'd get the chance to get into a traditional uni, even if it is not the be all and end all. I'm pretty chuffed :smile:

Hahaha so you should be! It's a great uni!

Erm I love the campus, it's really pretty and has a nice feel to it! It's also in the middle of the city so two step off and you're in the middle of Newcastle - which as a city it is well designed for students. You're a mature student and there's a big mature society here so you'll get as much of the 'student experience' as you want. The library is great and you're taught by the best so academically it's pretty sound!

However every uni has their downsides, I think the main one for Newcastle is you can find quite a few pretentious rich kids but ultimately they're harmless - if a little annoying. You'd have a great time here.

To go from Westminster to Newcastle you should be well impressed with yourself ngl.
Newcastle, league tables are a joke.
Also doesnt look like Coventry even submitted a food science RES, Newcastle did ok.
I don't think Newcastle and Coventry switching places in the most recent food table is much of a reason to go to Coventry, I really do think it is a bit of a no brainer, unless you really dislike Newcastle or really want to live in Coventry.

I shared some of my 2nd year modules with some of the nutrition students: immunology (fascinating but let down by a crappy lecturer), molecular genetics and biochemistry (great module) and food microbiology (dull, but I believe they are replacing the module leader this year). The nutrition students, although there are not many of them, seem to be a decent bunch.

I'm also a mature student. Newcastle does not have a huge number of mature students, but I haven't had a problem fitting in with the younger students. There is a semi-active mature students society. Newcastle is a fairly cheap place to live. Accommodation isn't too pricey particularly if you look in areas like Fenham or Heaton.

Quick Reply

Latest