The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

interphase: i wrote about dna replication and gaining energy because mitosis is an active process.
Reply 21
Just looked it up.

Should be:
First growth phase when the proteinsfrom which cell orgalles are synthesised are produced.
Synthesis hase, when DNA is replicated.
Second gowth phase, when organelles grow and divide and energy stores are increased.

I also wrote something like cromatin replicate to make chromosome, think that might count.
Ruti
Hi! I did all 3 this morning. Foundation was good, HHD too vague, too much graph interpretation and the long answer question on T lymphocytes was horrific and transport was mostly alright.

At my school we had to start the exams in semi darkness as some prat had cut the electricity cable to the school. I had the added problem that my reading glasses have lenses which are yellow (to stop me getting migraines from the flourescent light) and when there is no light it makes it a bit difficult to see. The lights went on and off a couple of times before finally staying on about 10 minutes in to HHD!!

Hope everyone elses went ok. :biggrin:

did they give u extra time because the lights went off?
Reply 23
No-our teachers are so evil! They said they looked into whether to postpone until the power was back on, but since it was a "nice sunny morning" we would do the exam with the light from the windows.

The windows are about 30cm x 15cm and right up at the top of the gym walls. Not exactly much light!!! :biggrin:
Reply 24
I really wish I re-took Foundation, everyone keeps telling me that it was really easy.

I also found in HH&D it was difficult to get in 'biological' knowledge on some of the questions. And I think some of the graphs were diffcult to describe - there were so many increases and decreases.

I don't know what the weathers like elsewhere in the country - but it's like 29 degrees here, I really couldn't wait to get out the exam hall.
Reply 25
what do u think were the grade bundaries for the paper out of 165marks in total, for the exam only?
LS.
I really wish I re-took Foundation, everyone keeps telling me that it was really easy.

I also found in HH&D it was difficult to get in 'biological' knowledge on some of the questions. And I think some of the graphs were diffcult to describe - there were so many increases and decreases.

I don't know what the weathers like elsewhere in the country - but it's like 29 degrees here, I really couldn't wait to get out the exam hall.

you must not have done that badly the first time u did foundation?
Reply 27
blackzombies
you must not have done that badly the first time u did foundation?

1 lousy mark of a B :frown: - I was totally unprepaired for the exam though, so I think I was lucky to get what I did.
Da-Dapper
what do u think were the grade bundaries for the paper out of 165marks in total, for the exam only?

it wouldnt be like that because each of the different exams is worth a different percentage overall.

transport = mark you think you got/45 x 0.2 x 100

HHD = mark you think you got/60 x 0.3 x 100

foundation= mark you think you got/60 x 0.3 x 100

and then add them all up and thats the percentage you got out of 80%. it depends on how your coursework or practical went for that extra 20%
LS.
1 lousy mark of a B :frown: - I was totally unprepaired for the exam though, so I think I was lucky to get what I did.

thats not too bad for no revision but with revision this paper was pretty easy
well, i did all 3 exam

foundation- a lot easier than expected

hh + d - harder than expected. in the T lymphocyte Q i think i ended up writing entirely about B lympocytes :rolleyes:

transport- think i've done quite well.
Reply 31
hi, done all 3 this morning

i rinsed foundation; found it really easy
also rinsed transport; found it really easy
not 2 much rinsage on HH&D, a few annoying questions, but i rekon i got all full marks on all the long questions in all papers, mite hav dropped 1 mark in each.
quite confident about my result...until i remembered that damn practical is 20%! no way i can get an A with a practical like that!

i cant remember the annoying Qs for the HH&D...ne1 remember them?
Reply 32
Questions I can remember for HH&D (not word for word, not in order or even probably accurate):

- 3 components of a diet that provide energy

- Tick sheet of Essential Amino Acids/ properties ect

- Long term effects of starvation other than growth

- Two disease described in paragraph

- How CO & NO increase clots and atherosclerosis

- Clotting and CHD

- Percentage question on graph

- describing graph of TV & max capacity

- The ambiguous question on mucus/decreased surface area

- 3 ways HIV transmitted (other than sexual contact)

- Lots of questions on describing graphs (AIDS)

- How health statistics are helpful

- 'Fill the gap' Exercise on Immunity

- Essay question on T-cells

All I can remember. If anyone wants the Transport questions up that I can remember, just ask.
The two questions on Zimbabwe and the UK i swear I end up putting the same answer for both! Those questions were annoying. And for the stuff about homosexual men, why is it on the increase? Gosh I was such an idiot I was frantically searching for something to say- I put about increased sexual freedom and onset of immunity to drugs whcih I think is completely wrong, I also wrote about drug development and AIDS awareness for other questions which I dont think is what they were looking for.

For Foundation, the first page, what energy is needed for chemical reactions to take place and what is the DNA strand thingy about?

ANd for 3 ways in which AIDS is contracted I could only remember 2 :-/
Reply 34
could u put up the answers and the transport 1s with the answers?
cheers
Reply 35
Da-Dapper
could u put up the answers and the transport 1s with the answers?
cheers

Erm....Since I don't exactly remember all the questions I can't really answer them + I don't see the point in putting up the answers. I'm just putting up questions to jog peoples memory so they can comment on what they found easy/hard.

young_free - I felt exactly the same way for those questions. It felt like soemthing you'd find on a General studies paper - not a bio one!
Reply 36
ok! good point!
Reply 37
- 3 components of a diet that provide energy
protein, carbohydrates, fats
- Tick sheet of Essential Amino Acids| E. Fatty Acids | Vit A | Vit D
Can be synthesised in bodies. N, N , Y(not sure) , Y
Prevent that bone disease (osteomalacia?) N, N, N, Y
Nightblindness (provide rhodopsin or summat) N, N, Y, N

- Long term effects of starvation other than growth
Muscle + organ development.
Weakened immune system.
Muscle wasting to provide energy.

- Two disease described in paragraph
Emphysema and (can't remember other coronary heart disease maybe?)

- How CO & NO increase clots and atherosclerosis
NO - increase likelyhood of atheroma developing, increase blood pressure + heart rate.
CO - reduce carrying capacity blood so heart rate goes up .'. more risk of atheroma bursting, also contributes to plaques forming...

- Clotting and CHD
don't remember :|

- Percentage question on graph
I got 68% I think ?

- describing graph of TV & max capacity
Hmm would need to resee graph.

- The ambiguous question on mucus/decreased surface area
could have been anything tbh. Put some stuff about irritation .'. more mucus secreted and cilia unable to beat faster than it's produce .'. build up. Also smooth muscles contract .'. lumen size goes down.

- 3 ways HIV transmitted (other than sexual contact)
Transfusions
Intravenous drug users
Mother -> Baby via breast milk/placenta

- Lots of questions on describing graphs (AIDS)
Decreasing over, use some stats. Could have written a lot but not very many marks.

- How health statistics are helpful
Work out method of transmission of disease. See high risk + allocate funding, screening... money which needs finance.

- 'Fill the gap' Exercise on Immunity
Hmm I don't remember this one?

- Essay question on T-cells
Thought this said "Easy" question :| Was hard, check books coz i don't have much time.

Those were pretty much my answers if you spot any errors then please let me know - there probably are lots :frown: .
Regards,

P.S. the Vit A can't be synthesised in body. :frown:
Reply 38
cheers!

did any1 do the pratical? do u think they will lower the grade boundaries?
Reply 39
jessica_h
I said that x was the vena cava, and that y was the bicuspid valve. and the valves in p and q were to prevent the backflow of blood.
I didn't really like the HHD paper, I didn't have that much time to check and the graph questions were really strange. I found foundation really easy,with half an hour at the end to check and transport wasn't bad either.
I didn't manage to fill the spaces for the 6/7 mark questions, I didn't feel that there was that much to write, especially for transport. however,they'll probably give marks for avn,san etc. which makes it better.
for malnutrition.. I just used the examples of symptoms of both kwashiokor (??) and marasmus and said some stuff about losing weight,immune system..

i got similar answers to them

Latest

Trending

Trending