The Student Room Group

I wish I'd taken a gap year

Hey guys, sorry this might be a long post.

I've been a Uni for just over a week now, and just started lectures today. The start of Freshers Week was fine but towards the end of the week I started to feel very miserable. At first I thought it was just homesickness and decided that there was no way I would drop out due to this as many people experience it. However when I returned home at the weekend I began to really think about the decisions I had made.

I feel like I have made a big mistake coming to Uni this year. I decided to study Psychology, mainly because it's something I'm reasonably good at and do have a interest in. However I am not sure that Psychology is my passion in life and feel that I rushed into applying to Uni as I didn't know what else to do. I attended a few lectures today and while I wouldn't hate to study Psychology, I don't think its a subject that I am really enthusiastic about and don't see myself looking forward to attending the lectures.

Now I don't want to make any crazy, quick reactions so I am going to give it a few more weeks. However I feel like I would have benefited from a gap year so I could have decided what I really wanted to do. At the moment I just don't feel motivated to study my course and wish I had taken more time to really think about what I want out of life.

Any advice guys?
Reply 1
Original post by jemmaa01
Hey guys, sorry this might be a long post.

I've been a Uni for just over a week now, and just started lectures today. The start of Freshers Week was fine but towards the end of the week I started to feel very miserable. At first I thought it was just homesickness and decided that there was no way I would drop out due to this as many people experience it. However when I returned home at the weekend I began to really think about the decisions I had made.

I feel like I have made a big mistake coming to Uni this year. I decided to study Psychology, mainly because it's something I'm reasonably good at and do have a interest in. However I am not sure that Psychology is my passion in life and feel that I rushed into applying to Uni as I didn't know what else to do. I attended a few lectures today and while I wouldn't hate to study Psychology, I don't think its a subject that I am really enthusiastic about and don't see myself looking forward to attending the lectures.

Now I don't want to make any crazy, quick reactions so I am going to give it a few more weeks. However I feel like I would have benefited from a gap year so I could have decided what I really wanted to do. At the moment I just don't feel motivated to study my course and wish I had taken more time to really think about what I want out of life.

Any advice guys?

SF will fund you for the length of your degree + 1 year, so if you quit at the end of first year you could still go on to do another degree. Obviously, quitting sooner will save you money.

If you're already having doubts, perhaps research what kind of jobs you think you would like to work towards. Try and get placements/work experience if possible to help you decide. A lot of people are rushed into going to uni immediately, and it will suck if later in life you can't do what you want due to already having a first degree in a subject you were rushed into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending