The Student Room Group

gender stereotype in children's book

I need to do a powerpoint in class about gender stereotype in childern's books.I don't know how to start ,can anyone give me examples :smile:
How old is this "child" supposed to be?

I.e. hungry caterpillar kind of book or The Hobbit kind of book?
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
How old is this "child" supposed to be?

I.e. hungry caterpillar kind of book or The Hobbit kind of book?

Hungry caterpillar
I've always thought an interesting one was with the Chronicles of Narnia, the one the first film is based on. Somebody mentioned it to me, I didn't really even notice until they said it. The two Pevensie sisters' role in the war is the care for those wounded and stand back whilst their brothers do the fighting. Also, it is mentioned that whilst the prophecy says the siblings will all be royalty, the older ones Kings and Queens and the younger ones Princes and Princesses, it is said that the eldest male sibling will lead the kingdom regardless. Making no mention of whether he deserves that title due to his skill or intelligence, just that it will be so.

Can't think of any others off the top my head, hope that helps :smile:
In a dress (I don't see many girls in dresses now, they're either in trousers, miniskirts or shorts)
Long hair
Playing with dolls
Princesses

Things like that?
Reply 5
Original post by Scienceisgood
In a dress (I don't see many girls in dresses now, they're either in trousers, miniskirts or shorts)
Long hair
Playing with dolls
Princesses

Things like that?

yeah :smile:
Original post by sorakibo
yeah :smile:

In that case then, I'd recommend looking at classic Disney films for inspiration. =P
Kinda what all girls that age look at and what they think girls are like.

I.e. Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc...
Reply 7
thank you ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest