The Student Room Group

Do you think plastic surgery is okay? what age?

Scroll to see replies

things like pinning your ears back, reshaping your nose so that you can breathe properly are valid reasons to have surgery

However, "my nose is so stubby I hate it, why can't it be thin and sexy like Kim K's" is just a no no :nope:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
May I ask are you a lady or a gentleman :colondollar:

No I'm not against it, I suppose if it makes you feel better then so what!

Is it something you would definitely do later in life
?

Haha, I'm a gentleman. I would definitely do it if I could afford it and not necessarily later -- I'd do it now if I could afford it. In my case, it has both a functional and cosmetic aspect but, even if I didn't have the functional problem, I really wouldn't give a damn. I'd have it done regardless.
This is something I feel very strongly about.

I am all for cosmetic surgery as long as it's done legally and in professional clinics by surgeons who know what they're doing.

As for the age side of it, I think it depends. For example.... If the size of someone's nose is getting them down to the point where they no longer want to look in the mirror anymore, then why shouldn't they be able to do something about it?

I don't think it should be called 'plastic surgery' either, because it's not plastic. Just cosmetic. For all you people saying you're totally against it, maybe when you're in your late 40's you will have a change of heart.

I know people who have had image issues and since cosmetic surgery they have become happier and love waking up in the mornings, why is that something that should be shamed?

If something is going to benefit you and your life, then you should do it. Nobody has to hate looking in the mirror.

And no I'm not talking about the odd "urgh I look awful today" I'm talking about people who can't face themselves due to a part of their body or face getting them down. Cosmetic surgery isn't done to impress others, it's done to boost confidence.

Some of you need to stop being so closed minded because one day it might be you booking an appointment!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
If your face looks like a babybel that's melted, then solidified, then been used as target practice by a drunk man with an AK.

(Seriously though, something like a large birthmark, partially formed nose, harelip etc)

Why stop at a partially formed nose, though? Why not just an exceptionally twisted, S-shaped nose? It's impossible to argue that certain cosmetic defects are okay for plastic surgery but certain others aren't.
Original post by Hydeman
Haha, I'm a gentleman. I would definitely do it if I could afford it and not necessarily later -- I'd do it now if I could afford it. In my case, it has both a functional and cosmetic aspect but, even if I didn't have the functional problem, I really wouldn't give a damn. I'd have it done regardless.

Can I ask how old you are? What is it that you don't like about your nose?

I'm asking because you're the only person that has actually said yes you would. :tongue:

As I'm writing this I'm thinking, surely his nose can't be as bad as he thinks, he shouldn't change it, lol and then I think back to my original post and talking about my mouth...we really are our own worst critics though as someone said above.
I have always hated my mouth because my lips are big and positioned oddly (at least it seems that way to me:redface:), I probably don't have the guts to go under the knife because I would be terrified it might come out looking 100X worse. I honestly doubt I would ever do it! nor would I pay £2500 for it, that's a bit ridiculous.

But it seems like so many people do it, that's why I asked. So many women have breast augmentation and lip fillers, those things are slowly seeming 'normal'. Lots of men and women get nose jobs, it just seems like something that is starting to become the norm if you know what I mean. Again I definitely agree with the above, it is a side effect to our ever growing superficial society.But I don't think it's wrong.

You said "at least it seems that way to me", which means you personally hate your lips no one has ever made any kind of rude remark about the size or positioning of your lips?

And there are cases of those that go under the knife, and it can turn into an unhealthy addiction for them, and they become victims, as a lot of people end up being unhappy with there results and just return again and again causing further damage to their facial features. Which should be a major concern considering we have this perfect image in our heads of what we want to look like, but sometimes it's the imperfections that make us who we are and beautiful. Rather than altering them to fit societies agenda on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of physical beauty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's an example: I often go on about how I want my lips done, and I've been saying it for a couple years now. My lips aren't small but I would like to have them more plumped, but I think do I REALLY need that? Is it getting me down to the point I can't stop thinking about it? No. It's not.

If it ever got to the stage where it was making me depressed then I would do something about it.
Original post by elliemayxo
This is something I feel very strongly about.

I am all for cosmetic surgery as long as it's done legally and in professional clinics by surgeons who know what they're doing.

As for the age side of it, I think it depends. For example.... If the size of someone's nose is getting them down to the point where they no longer want to look in the mirror anymore, then why shouldn't they be able to do something about i?

I don't think it should be called 'plastic surgery' either, because it's not plastic. Just cosmetic. For all you people saying you're totally against it, maybe when you're in your late 40's you will have a change of heart.

I know people who have had image issues and since cosmetic surgery they have become happier and love waking up in the mornings, why is that something that should be shamed?

If something is going to benefit you and your life, then you should do it. Nobody has to hate looking in the mirror.

And no I'm not talking about the odd "urgh I look awful today" I'm talking about people who can't face themselves due to a part of their body or face getting them down. Cosmetic surgery isn't done to impress others, it's done to boost confidence.

Some of you need to stop being so closed minded because one day it might be you booking an appointment!

I agree with everything you said but do you think you should only get it done if your at the point of not being able to look in the mirror, or do you think it's okay to have it done just to enhance your features, make you feel more beautiful (for yourself)?

I'm asking because you're the only person that has actually said yes you would. :tongue:

As I'm writing this I'm thinking, surely his nose can't be as bad as he thinks, he shouldn't change it, lol and then I think back to my original post and talking about my mouth...we really are our own worst critics though as someone said above.

A million people could say to someone "there's nothing wrong with your nose" but that person would still feel insecure. It's not about how others see you, it's about how you see yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bill_Gates
You play with the hand you're dealt with. You don't deliberately try to change the cards. Since the player will always remain the same.

I like your analogy.:lol:
No I don't think it's bad, what I think is bad is other people having the audacity to demand that someone never gets plastic surgery and stays absolutely unhappy with their current appearance.

Quite frankly if someone wants to have it, then by all means let them. Any age they f**** want over 18.
I agree with everything you said but do you think you should only get it done if your at the point of not being able to look in the mirror, or do you think it's okay to have it done just to enhance your features, make you feel more beautiful (for yourself)?

I think it's ok to have it done in order to enhance your features, as long as you don't get addicted. You hear about women and men who become addicted to cosmetic surgery all the time, and that's not healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inexorably
No I don't think it's bad, what I think is bad is other people having the audacity to demand that someone never gets plastic surgery and stays absolutely unhappy with their current appearance.

Quite frankly if someone wants to have it, then by all means let them. Any age they f**** want over 18.

^ exactly that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That's so mean:(
You said "at least it seems that way to me", which means you personally hate your lips no one has ever made any kind of rude remark about the size or positioning of your lips?

And there are cases of those that go under the knife, and it can turn into an unhealthy addiction for them, and they become victims, as a lot of people end up being unhappy with there results and just return again and again causing further damage to their facial features. Which should be a major concern considering we have this perfect image in our heads of what we want to we want to look like, but sometimes it's the imperfections that make us who we are and beautiful. Rather than altering them to fit societies agenda on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of physical beauty.

I got called blow job lips in school when I was younger by these horrible girls, then I got over it and realised it wasn't exactly a huge issue. I stopped caring tbh.

That's true, there are people who do it over and over again, that makes me sad. I like your paragraph :smile:
I got called blow job lips in school when I was younger by these horrible girls, then I got over it and realised it wasn't exactly a huge issue. I stopped caring tbh.

That's true, there are people who do it over and over again, that makes me sad. I like your paragraph :smile:

When I was in school, 'blow job lips' was a compliment. But I guess that was just the kind of girls I went to school with😂. But I always found that in school, everyone would bully the sweet pretty girl who's always quiet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 18. :smile: It's rather difficult to explain in words but basically: it's both large, horribly shaped and extremely deviated to one side -- it's very visible on the outside and it does look like one of those boxing injuries where the nose has basically turned to one side (even though I don't recall such a serious injury).

I've had various ENT doctors look at it because I have significant breathing problems because of it and I've been told that the visible deviation is actually only one part of it and that it deviates the opposite way near the top so it's subtly S-shaped.

Personally, I hate seeing this in pictures and I was frequently bullied for this in school, quite often by those self-righteous bastards who like to appease their conscience by calling themselves 'non-judgemental' in other circumstances. Point out the contradiction to them and you find out that it's okay because it's just 'banter' or 'ethnic banter.'

There's really no aspect of 'we're our own worst critics' to this. It really is that bad. :/ This is one of those topics where I consider most people to be prone to switching off their brains. I suspect it's the natural consequence of never having to think about these things oneself as most people (on this thread) don't.
(edited 8 years ago)
When I was in school, 'blow job lips' was a compliment. But I guess that was just the kind of girls I went to school with😂. But I always found that in school, everyone would bully the sweet pretty girl who's always quiet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no it definitely wasn't a compliment, it was just a way to assert their superiority if you know what I mean. They aren't even that big, they are definitely not 'blow job lip' material, they just made me feel worse about them.I got over it because one of them used to be orange so I thought "well what does she know about appearances?" made me feel better :redface:
oh no it definitely wasn't a compliment, it was just a way to assert their superiority if you know what I mean. They aren't even that big, they are definitely not 'blow job lip' material, they just made me feel worse about them.I got over it because one of them used to be orange so I thought "well what does she know about appearances?" made me feel better :redface:

Well you should of never felt bad about your appearance, you're attractive on the inside and out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
I'm 18. :smile: It's rather difficult to explain in words but basically: it's both large, horribly shaped and extremely deviated to one side -- it's very visible on the outside and it does look like one of those boxing injuries where the nose has basically turned to one side (even though I don't recall such a serious injury).

I've had various ENT doctors look at it because I have significant breathing problems because of it and I've been told that the visible deviation is actually only one part of it and that it deviates the opposite way near the top so it's subtly S-shaped.

Personally, I hate seeing this in pictures and I was frequently bullied for this in school, quite often by those self-righteous bastards who like to appease their conscience by calling themselves 'non-judgemental' in other circumstances. Point out the contradiction to them and you find out that it's okay because it's just 'banter' or 'ethnic banter.'

There's really no aspect of 'we're our own worst critics' to this. It really is that bad. :/ This is one of those topics where I consider most people to be prone to switching off their brains. I suspect it's the natural consequence of never having to think about these things oneself as most people (on this thread) don't.

I understand that 'banter' thing. I also get the boxing injury thing because it's the same with my cousins nose, it's turned into an 'S' but it really doesn't look bad at all imo. It is a shame your insecure about it, but I definitely don't think it's wrong to have cosmetic surgery, I hope you feel better about your nose though, with or without surgery. You seem like a lovely person anyway! :tongue:
Well you should of never felt bad about your appearance, you're attractive on the inside and out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you that's very kind of you to say. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest