The Student Room Group

Do you think plastic surgery is okay? what age?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I understand that 'banter' thing. I also get the boxing injury thing because it's the same with my cousins nose, it's turned into an 'S' but it really doesn't look bad at all imo. It is a shame your insecure about it, but I definitely don't think it's wrong to have cosmetic surgery, I hope you feel better about your nose though, with or without surgery. You seem like a lovely person anyway! :tongue:

Thanks! I can be if I want to. :colone: I'm on a gap year currently so if I can save up something ridiculous like £4 500 hopefully I'll get it before I go to university, where nobody will know what it looked like before.
On a personal level, I don't especially like the general aesthetic of it. However, it's not my job to tell people what they can and can't do with their bodies, and I'm certainly not "against" it. People are more than welcome to go and do what they want, and I'd much rather people do what makes them happy rather than stay unhappy with themselves.
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks! I can be if I want to. :colone: I'm on a gap year currently so if I can save up something ridiculous like £4 500 hopefully I'll get it before I go to university, where nobody will know what it looked like before.

I actually get what you mean by that, I would change my lips if I could before uni, it's not like anyone even knows what you looked like before where as it's different in other moments of your life.
No, I don't think it's okay as such nor do I think that 18 is a suitable enough age to decide whether you'd like to go through with a process like that, 21 would be better. However, if someone is feeling insecure about themselves + they want to do it so they can feel happier and be more confident then they should totally go for it since I guess its their body + all that jazz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
So I have never been for or against it, I think if it makes you feel better and you can pay for it then fair enough.

I have always wanted lip lift procedure because I have always been a bit insecure about my lips. I'm 17 and obviously can't pay for it myself(you have to be 18 for anything), my parents would obviously never let me do anything to my face voluntarily, so I suppose I will have to wait till I'm actually earning...:redface: probably won't want it then anyway...

but that made me think...would you ever get it done on something you have always been insecure about? and what age do you think is appropriate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some guys wouldn't mind big lips :wink::biggrin:.
Ladies, no matter how much you try your insecurities are there to stay. A lips plastic surgery is constantly flinging to remind that you had a meaningless surgery to enhance your appearance and that will be your new insecurity

Also you'll never stand a chance against a 100% natural girl. I mean adulation are not for everyone you know.
Reply 46
If someone has something about his or her body that causes a lot of suffering for that person and if that thing can be fixed by having plastic surgery then I don't see any problem whatsoever.

People will usually point out that it's better to overcome the problem by being happy with your body instead. But obviously, that's oftrn like telling a depressed person to cheer up.

Another point that's usually raised is that changing your body won't make you feel different about it. Which I think is bullsh**, seeing how people regularly report about feeling better about their body after bulking up or losing weight.So I think surgery is a valid method of dealing with your problems. Not guaranteed to be succesful, the results may not be everyones preference, but valid nontheless.
I am not against people having it if they want it - that's their decision. But I am totally against plastic surgery in itself, if we are talking about vanity. It is just so unnecessary, a waste of money, and often causes problems down the line. The fact that younger and younger people are having it these days really highlights what a problem self-image is becoming.
Original post by connieiscrazy
I am not against people having it if they want it - that's their decision. But I am totally against plastic surgery in itself, if we are talking about vanity. It is just so unnecessary, a waste of money, and often causes problems down the line. The fact that younger and younger people are having it these days really highlights what a problem self-image is becoming.

nostalgic avatar... almost shed a tear...
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
nostalgic avatar... almost shed a tear...

Literally me
In 95% of cases, it is completely unnecessary and makes the person look far weirder, far uglier and far older. Of course, most people are too polite to say this to people 's faces, but its 100% true.

Quick Reply

Latest