Scuttle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I want to resit A level maths this summer in its entirety, and I will be a private candidate and need somewhere that will allow me to sit my exams without requiring me to enrole on a college programme of lessons (I already know it, having taken maths A level previously and being on an engineering course at university).
SO - where do I find a place like this? Anyone know of a system available for getting private candidates in to sit exams without them being tied to an institution (who are reluctant to take me since they dont know if I will just fail and mess up their stats).???
paula.paw
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, there is.
I am a private candidate and I am going to take my exams with ExamsTogether - www.examstogether.com
But if you wish to resit your A-levels in Summer session this year DEADLINE for registration is 21st of March and the prices now are horrible -I mean, the earlier you enrol, the less you pay

If you want their current fees pm me, they send me on email /they haven't got it at the website/

I also know that some colleges let you take your exams as a private candidate eg Campbell Harris, but they don't do all of the subject, just a few - sorry but don't remember which exactly, but kind of 'scientific' ones.

Hope I helped.
Scuttle
Rep:
?
(Original post by paula.paw)
Yes, there is.
I am a private candidate and I am going to take my exams with ExamsTogether - www.examstogether.com
But if you wish to resit your A-levels in Summer session this year DEADLINE for registration is 21st of March and the prices now are horrible -I mean, the earlier you enrol, the less you pay

If you want their current fees pm me, they send me on email /they haven't got it at the website/

I also know that some colleges let you take your exams as a private candidate eg Campbell Harris, but they don't do all of the subject, just a few - sorry but don't remember which exactly, but kind of 'scientific' ones.

Hope I helped.
Yes you did, thanks.
I suppose if it was too expensive I could just do it next january, but I will scout around to see if I can get it done cheap(ish) this summer.

I am currently speaking to my previous college about doing it there. Already got told I would have to enrole if I wanted to sit them at the College which is local to my university.
paula.paw
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmmm... that isn't that expensive.
You pay now about 45GBP per unit plus Exam board fEes, for Edexcel it is between 13-25 GBP.
It is good if you wish to resit just one unit or a few but if you want to take whole A level or even more that could be though.
Mensan1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Neilan)
Yes you did, thanks.
I suppose if it was too expensive I could just do it next january, but I will scout around to see if I can get it done cheap(ish) this summer.

I am currently speaking to my previous college about doing it there. Already got told I would have to enrole if I wanted to sit them at the College which is local to my university.
Just thought I'd say that it may be hugely unwise to put a few hundred pounds (at most!) infront of your A-level grades and may be a decision that you may come to regret gravely afterwards, in hindsight. I would go ahead with the investment because the chances are that it'll easily pay it's way back through a better paid job in the future.
NKS
Report 12 years ago
If you live in London there is a place called Campbell Harris is High Street Kensington which will allow you to do so at around 40 pounds per unit therefore 240 pounds in total. They have a site look it up on google. They do Maths im sure of it
Scuttle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mensan1)
Just thought I'd say that it may be hugely unwise to put a few hundred pounds (at most!) infront of your A-level grades and may be a decision that you may come to regret gravely afterwards, in hindsight. I would go ahead with the investment because the chances are that it'll easily pay it's way back through a better paid job in the future.
I don't think I fully understand you. You say I might regret spending the money on the resits? But then you say you would go ahead because I might get a better job?

Anyway I'm pretty sure that improving my A level grades isn't going to matter much now Im taking a tough course at university, and it makes everything I've done before relatively negligable. However if I wanted to go into Investment Banking where that kind of snobbery is commonplace, then it might help - but that is one of few places.
So I'm not really doing this for job prospects, its for my own self satisfaction. If I can put it right, I will.
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How much do campbell harris charge per module say for maths, as a private candidate.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
How much do campbell harris charge per module say for maths, as a private candidate.
AS/A2 (6 unit qualifications e.g Maths) ~ £49-£55 per unit; late fee ~ £65-£75 per unit; very late fee ~ £85-£100 per unit;
AS/A2 (4 unit qualifications) ~ £70-£75 per unit; late fee ~ £85-95 per unit; very late fee ~ £105-£115 per unit.
AS/A2 (2 unit qualifications) fee ~ £120 per unit.
Additional fees apply for AS & A2 practical assessment courses (Edexcel only) in Chemistry or Physics.
ORAL Exams ~ £75 supplement per AS/A2 unit;

http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/Content.asp?ID=54

North London College are usually cheaper
Da_hopeful_1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
AS/A2 (6 unit qualifications e.g Maths) ~ £49-£55 per unit; late fee ~ £65-£75 per unit; very late fee ~ £85-£100 per unit;
AS/A2 (4 unit qualifications) ~ £70-£75 per unit; late fee ~ £85-95 per unit; very late fee ~ £105-£115 per unit.
AS/A2 (2 unit qualifications) fee ~ £120 per unit.
Additional fees apply for AS & A2 practical assessment courses (Edexcel only) in Chemistry or Physics.
ORAL Exams ~ £75 supplement per AS/A2 unit;

http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/Content.asp?ID=54

North London College are usually cheaper

Is it really that expensive. I don't want to do the whole Alevel.

For maths i want to do 4 out of the 6

and for chemistry i want to do 4 out of the 6
and for psychology i want to do 1 out of the 4
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
Is it really that expensive. I don't want to do the whole Alevel.

For maths i want to do 4 out of the 6

and for chemistry i want to do 4 out of the 6
and for psychology i want to do 1 out of the 4
those prices are from their website so yes, those are the prices per exam!
check north london college who aren't as expensive
you'll get the cheapest prices from local schools/colleges who tend to only charge the exam fee plus a small admin fee, phone exams officers and ask
Sunala
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi Im trying to resit for Edexcel Advanced subsidiary, Business studies Unit 1 in this May 2011 exams. and Im trying to find a centre to sit for the exam. Please can anyone help me with it.
please help me. Because the dead line very close,
Thank you
mya369
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm also trying to find a centre to sit maths A level (edexcel) and have had no luck so far.. I would also really appreciate any help has anyone managed to do this before??
Sunala
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Please some one tell me about a centre that I can resit for Business studies Unit 1 for the coming May Exam.
harry.shak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1568526

Have a look here is the answer to all your questions!
Good luck!
hissyfit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can get you alist of colleges that you can sit your exams at if you tell me where you would be able to travel to sit your exams... + the Exam board
Tw1x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hissyfit)
I can get you alist of colleges that you can sit your exams at if you tell me where you would be able to travel to sit your exams... + the Exam board
Ar you just going to show us a list off the examining body website? Because I've got the AQA list and all of the ones I can get to have rejected me.
LiberiFatali
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Campbell Harris are crazy expensive if you don't book early though. A week after I got my January results through the post I emailed them and was told that I was already late.

6 Maths Units (Edexcel C1-4+S1&2) and 4 Economics units (AQA unit 1-4) came to just under £800.

Needless to say, I should be getting back to revision
Mujeriego
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tw1x)
Ar you just going to show us a list off the examining body website? Because I've got the AQA list and all of the ones I can get to have rejected me.

It's a bit late for exam entries, don't you think? Public season has started already.

Meh. If you still urgently need a exam centre then I can give you the names of some schools in my area that are willing to take external applicants. Though I can't guarantee acceptance since the deadline went sometime in February.

EDIT:

By "my" area, I mean London.
Cappuccinoes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've been using 3A Tutors in Bristol for the last few years, largely because their exam centre is a short walking distance away from my house . They're quite expensive but I'd recommend them without any hesitation .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads