The Student Room Group

Does having an MSc boost your changes of acceptance into another MSc program?

Quick question, and it probably has been answered somewhere here before, but I've got more important things to do (re:too lazy,lol).

I've got a somewhat high 2.1 (Mid-Tier Uni) in Electrical Engineering and I've just finished an MSc in Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. I just missed getting a distinction and would have easily gotten it easily if I didn't choose some pretty intense(for me) Machine Learning courses (my marks were around 50 each). My final percent ended up being 68%, with a distinction (75%) in my dissertation.

Now does my MSc in anyway help me gain acceptance into Oxbridge for another Masters (STEM)?

I loved my informatics degree, but now I want to get away from too much theory and do a more applied MSc.

For programs I'm considering, Oxford/Cambridge state the entry requirements as a high 2.1, or a First.....I've got a decent 2.1 (~67%).

However, does the MSc boosts my chances? I've read somewhere before, that it does, but unfortunately I've emailed both Oxford/Cambridge recently and haven't gotten a reply.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thejupiter

Now does my MSc in anyway help me gain acceptance into Oxbridge for another Masters (STEM)?

Depends entirely on the specific department and admissions team. I know my subject area at Cam were very suspicious of people who just seemed to be 'collecting' degrees and who never actually worked. They would rather offer their limited places to people who were more actively on a route somewhere, either into academia or into practice.
No. It gives you no advantage at all.

If anything, any sensible Uni will be wondering why you think doing multiple Masters courses is a good idea and why you don't just go and get a job.
Reply 3
Well, I think that suspicion is justified (I know a couple people who fit that profile).

However, in my case (I've worked for 11 years prior), it's an extension of theory I already know. I did the MSc in Informatics do get a theoretical grounding in Data Science.

I'm using this an entire career shift (from EE to a proper data scientist).

I broadly said STEM, however, I new focus is on getting another MSc to get a proper background in real world applications of data science/statistics. I'm considering Applied Statistics or some sort of Business Analytics (not at Oxbridge), even Economics. MBA's are tempting but doesn't seem as quantitative as I'd like.

However, given that I now have a pretty descent MSc, is that used into their admission formula?
You'll just have to wait for their replies. To stand a good chance you need to have a very good explanation of why you want to do the MSc and what it'll do for your career in your PS.
Potentially, but you will need to convince them that it's good for both you and them.

On my MSc course at Oxford lots of people have already gotten a master's somewhere: one from Cambridge, one from Edinburgh, one from HKIED (Top 15 world-wide in its field), and one with a PhD from London. Almost all had already gotten a postgraduate qualification. I was told in the past there was even a full professor from Japan. This is a cohort of around 20 so just for these people I know who definitely have gotten a master's already that's at least 20% of everyone. Where I work there's a colleague with a DPhil and an MSc from Oxford; before these he's already gotten an MSc somewhere, though I don't remember where. Then there are a couple of people who went on to a master's after an integrated master's.
gotten?

HAVE. DONE. ACHIEVED.

This is not America.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Potentially, but you will need to convince them that it's good for both you and them.

On my MSc course at Oxford lots of people have already gotten a master's somewhere: one from Cambridge, one from Edinburgh, one from HKIED (Top 15 world-wide in its field), and one with a PhD from London. Almost all had already gotten a postgraduate qualification. I was told in the past there was even a full professor from Japan. This is a cohort of around 20 so just for these people I know who definitely have gotten a master's already that's at least 20% of everyone. Where I work there's a colleague with a DPhil and an MSc from Oxford; before these he's already gotten an MSc somewhere, though I don't remember where. Then there are a couple of people who went on to a master's after an integrated master's.

Thanks, this is actually what I expected. It was very similar during my MSc in Edinburgh, lots of people had previous Software Engineering MSc or Engineering Masters etc.

I just wanted to know if they're factored in at Oxbridge admissions. It seems like it was at Edinburgh since a couple of my classmates had a 2.2 from universities in India, then got an MSc in the UK, then applied for another at Edinburgh.

I also, once saw a thread here that for post grad admissions the ranking is as follows:

MSc (distinc) + 2.1 = High First Class
MSc (Merit) + 2.1 = First Class
MSc (Pass) + 2.1 = ....almost first, or very high 2.1

I also, once saw a thread here that for post grad admissions the ranking is as follows:

Do NOT assume this applies to all Unis, if any at all.
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
Do NOT assume this applies to all Unis, if any at all.

I know, i doubt this sort of methodology is ever really used for more than a vague rule of thumb;

However, the questioning I should be asking is whether Oxbridge, given two equal candidates, will choose the one with the MSc as opposed to the other?

FYI

Oxford replied stating earlier, with an encouraging but perhaps vague statement of...and I quote directly:

"Entry into the Applied Statistics MSc program is indeed very competitive, that said we evaluate each application on it's own merit. If your MSc relates or provides background (particularly quantitative) then it will be considered an asset. We highly encourage you to apply as we have admitted many students of similar background."
Thanks, this is actually what I expected. It was very similar during my MSc in Edinburgh, lots of people had previous Software Engineering MSc or Engineering Masters etc.

I just wanted to know if they're factored in at Oxbridge admissions. It seems like it was at Edinburgh since a couple of my classmates had a 2.2 from universities in India, then got an MSc in the UK, then applied for another at Edinburgh.

A few things:
1. I definitely think they take that into consideration, otherwise why else would they be asking about it?
2. I don't think the ranking you posted is representative of anything. Where did you even get that from? I don't think it's as precise as you think it is.
3. A 2:2 in India can actually get you into Oxbridge. It's not crap.

I think with master's applications the quality of the dissertation probably matters more.
I know, i doubt this sort of methodology is ever really used for more than a vague rule of thumb;

However, the questioning I should be asking is whether Oxbridge, given two equal candidates, will choose the one with the MSc as opposed to the other?

FYI

Oxford replied stating earlier, with an encouraging but perhaps vague statement of...and I quote directly:

"Entry into the Applied Statistics MSc program is indeed very competitive, that said we evaluate each application on it's own merit. If your MSc relates or provides background (particularly quantitative) then it will be considered an asset. We highly encourage you to apply as we have admitted many students of similar background."

I don't see why having a master's already would be a disadvantage (as many above seem to think), but it's just that you shouldn't see that as a guarantee to getting into it just because not every successful candidate has it.
Original post by returnmigrant
gotten?

HAVE. DONE. ACHIEVED.

This is not America.

I'm in America and I can say whatever I want. Who are you to even say Britons don't say 'have gotten'? In colloquial American English it would be 'have got' if anything.

Also, 'all had already achieved a postgraduate qualification'?
Reply 13
I don't see why having a master's already would be a disadvantage (as many above seem to think), but it's just that you shouldn't see that as a guarantee to getting into it just because not every successful candidate has it.

Agreed. I was just trying to clarify to see how it's treated at Oxbridge.

As I suspected (based on Oxford's response), it would be on a case by case scenario.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that a 2.2 from India was crap. I should have expanded as what I meant to say was that he was initially declined by Edinburgh some years prior, then he did his MSc at Newcastle, didn't work for a year. Then reapplied to Edinburgh and was accepted. He didn't get a distinction at his MSc in Newcastle either.

So as you can see, I can only assume Edinburgh considered his BSc (2.2) + MSc (Pass) = 2.1

As for the "have gotten", I've heard that phrase some many times here in Edinburgh I had assumed it was proper English (Note: I'm not a native English speaker).
Agreed. I was just trying to clarify to see how it's treated at Oxbridge.

As I suspected (based on Oxford's response), it would be on a case by case scenario.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that a 2.2 from India was crap. I should have expanded as what I meant to say was that he was initially declined by Edinburgh some years prior, then he did his MSc at Newcastle, didn't work for a year. Then reapplied to Edinburgh and was accepted. He didn't get a distinction at his MSc in Newcastle either.

So as you can see, I can only assume Edinburgh considered his BSc (2.2) + MSc (Pass) = 2.1

Well it still doesn't mean that...They may have disregarded his BSc after he's gotten a higher qualification for all we know...AAA in a-levels + 1 in BA doesn't = A*A*A* in a-levels.

Regardless with postgraduate applications they consider a lot of things and having a good degree is only one of them.
Reply 15
A few things:
1. I definitely think they take that into consideration, otherwise why else would they be asking about it?
2. I don't think the ranking you posted is representative of anything. Where did you even get that from? I don't think it's as precise as you think it is.
3. A 2:2 in India can actually get you into Oxbridge. It's not crap.

I think with master's applications the quality of the dissertation probably matters more.

Hey guys, I have a similar problem.

I did my BSc (Hons) Economics from University of London (LSE External) - 2011 - got 2:2 with 68% in final yearThen, pursued MSc Economic Policy from the same university (SOAS program) - got 65% in first 4 subjects. Just finished the rest four exams - likely to get a Merit. Have 4 years of work experience in policy consulting working with governments and multilaterals in India and Rwanda. Any inputs if such profiles will be considered for Mphil Econs at Cambridge. GRE is a must for me as I have London Uni external degrees. The challenge is with not getting a high first in undergrad. But that being compensated for, by postgrad and work exp. Has anyone come across such cases?

I also plan to apply for MPP @ Oxford
Reply 16
Original post by sks7890

I did my BSc (Hons) Economics from University of London (LSE External) - 2011 - got 2:2 with 68% in final yearThen, pursued MSc Economic Policy from the same university (SOAS program) - got 65% in first 4 subjects. Just finished the rest four exams - likely to get a Merit. Have 4 years of work experience in policy consulting working with governments and multilaterals in India and Rwanda. Any inputs if such profiles will be considered for Mphil Econs at Cambridge. GRE is a must for me as I have London Uni external degrees. The challenge is with not getting a high first in undergrad. But that being compensated for, by postgrad and work exp. Has anyone come across such cases?

Well I'm in the same boat, but I'm guessing in your case, with the Merit in the MSc, you should be considered roughly on the level of a 2.1 candidate.

Which means, it probably then comes down to your GRE score, letters of recommendation (not sure who this is weighted), work experience and personal statement.

I think you have a reasonable chance, but your 2.2 lowers your chances somewhat.

Given the feedback I got from Oxford (Cambridge hasn't replied and it's been 4 days), I'd still apply.
Original post by sks7890

LSE and SOAS are considered two different universities, not the same one. Technically yes they are both 'colleges' in the University of London, but they see themselves as independent universities and people consider them independent universities. And for all intents and purposes they really are.

I don't think you can really know whether that's good enough without ever applying. I can just tell you I do personally know people with a 2:2, either from the UK or an equivalent elsewhere, who got into Oxford without additional qualifications, in courses that ask for a 2:1.
Reply 18
Well I'm in the same boat, but I'm guessing in your case, with the Merit in the MSc, you should be considered roughly on the level of a 2.1 candidate.

Which means, it probably then comes down to your GRE score, letters of recommendation (not sure who this is weighted), work experience and personal statement.

I think you have a reasonable chance, but your 2.2 lowers your chances somewhat.

Given the feedback I got from Oxford (Cambridge hasn't replied and it's been 4 days), I'd still apply.

I do have strong reco letters from the industry but not from the academia as these are external degrees. I would be giving my GRE next month (shouldnt be a problem). My positioning would be to strengthen my academic knowledge by doing MPhil and then pursue a PhD. My work experience has been good in policy consulting and to continue in this field and excel - would require getting the concepts right, esp with ecotrix (considering data science driving policy decisions).

How was your feedback from Oxford (if you could share)?
Dude, what is wrong with you? A BSc, then a Masters and now another Masters. Have you ever actually put your degree to work? A Masters ain't cheap these days nor are they held as highly anymore. Unless this is career related(i.e an employer told you they want you to have it and they're paying for it), don't do it. Why do you want to do it anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending