The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Poica
Oh, if you can define middle and working classes nowadays, then you're doing a lot better than most social commentators.

Agreed. However, the Times Good University Guide, 2004 gives it a go and has this to say:

York
Students from state sector schools - 80%
From working class homes - 17%

In comparison:

Warwick
Students from state sector schools - 76%
From working class homes - 15%

Oxford
Students from state sector schools - 53%
From working class homes - 10%

Sheffield
Students from state sector schools - 83%
From working class homes - 19%

Of course, this may have changed since 2004 and, as has already been pointed out, definitions of social classes and snobbery are very much open to debate.
University of York
York
Reply 21
Sallykins
Or if, indeed, York is full of snobs you've just asked a group of snobs whether or not they think they are snobs. Of course they're going to deny it! :P

I don't know, most pseudo-snobs (attention seeking people acting as snobs/ acting as someone of a class 'higher' than theirs) are usually all too pleased for others to think of them as being snobs- probably makes them feel powerful. :rolleyes:
But most really 'wealthy/ powerful' people like Prince William/ Harry/ Earl.Percy (with the exception of Princess Anne!) are [probably] down to earth, polite and would hate to be thought of as being a snob and see no reason to look down on anyone.

There was a quote somewhere i remember from somwehere, something along the lines of "if you have to tell someone you are something, you are nothing at all" and I agree with it- If someone has to look down on others to make them selves seem lofty then pity them and move on. :smile:
Reply 22
ah but "everybody needs somebody to look at them"- Milan Kundera. you cannot deny human nature in that sense Mr. Donne. and if everybody needs somebody to look at them, its better in somebody's eyes to be looked up to, than down. Therefore the hierarchy, and then the snobbery.
Reply 23
Very true my facebook friend :wink:
Snobbery is nothing at York compared to Durham, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, most university of London colleges and Oxbridge.

York folk are pretty easy going and, how can you be a snob if you choose to live in a concrete environment for 3 years.

couple of years old but take a look http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3972893.stm but 80% state school educated. not that "elite" really. The lowest of all those on the list.
Reply 25
It depends what you'd class as a snob, really. I'd say York had a fair few when I was there.
Reply 26
Leeds is only 35 minutes and £6 on the train, no big deal.

yeah i think i will be visiting leeds a bit cos i'm used to tons of clubs in brighton! and if it;s anything like the manchester nightlife it will be ace.
Reply 27
I don't see that much of a need to go to leeds for a night out. I have been several times and loved it but in retrospect it was due to the people I was with more than the environment. York may not have a raving nightlife like manchester or london but with the right group of friends it can be much better. The whole issue of york being full of snobs in rubbish. I come from a working background in south wales and have had no problem with the people here. They accept you for who you are, on the whole everyone in york is very intelligent and you can realise that fairly quickly. This does not mean they are snobs it just means you miss out the knuckle dragging idiots you can encounter in other cities. If you go in thinking everyone is a snob then it is likely people will find you snobbish due to your reaction towards them.

Latest

Trending

Trending