The Student Room Group

How do you actually revise for University?

So, I have just sat down to start my revision for my January exams, and honestly, I just do not know where to start.
I have broken down my lecture titles and revising topics according to that but I don't know how to actually revise for them.

For GCSE and A Levels I simply just learnt out of books and used specifications but now I am LOST. I don't have specific books for what I need to know or a specification.

I don't know what I need to know. I'm so stuck and need to do well in these exams.

Do I just learn everything from lectures, surely it's not all relevant. How do you revise for uni exams???????

:smile:
Can you get access to past papers? They would help you understand what question type will come up.

Also, if you just learn the lecture notes, you will pass but it won't give you a very good grade. For top marks you need to do wider reading.

It's normal at uni to not have any specifications. Remember, there is no exam board as there were at A levels.

Your lecture notes will tell you the topic, and from there you will have to search for more resources and read around the topic. No one knows what lectures will be relevant and which won't. In the end, the point is that you should be able to answer questions on ALL the material.
Good job with breaking it down into topics. Now you need to read around the topics and ensure that you have relevant examples or sources that you can bring into your answers.

For actually revising things, I write study guides and then narrow them down into flashcards and then I talk out loud to myself to test myself. I come across as a crazy person when I'm revising, but it works well!
I usually get together with a few friends. We'll each take a few topics each, write/type up detailed mind-maps, share our mind maps with each other then test each other, learning everything we need to know in the process. It has worked and got us all A's and B's.

I would also suggest taking your favourite songs and changing the lyrics to whatever you're revising. We can always remember our favourite song lyrics so here's a way revise and we sure that you'll remember.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending