The Student Room Group

ChiefKwens' Road to 4As and OCRE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
13/03/2016

Today I woke up in the morning for a 15 minute sprint then prepared for a biology test on lungs and fish for tuesday. I attempted a list of past paper questions I got from this website: alevelbiology.com, I mainly revised from a book today, even though I know this is not good with a limited amount of time, knowing the whole section I will be tested on gives me more confidence when doing the past paper question, I found that I understood processes such as inspiration and expiration, the muscles involved and the collagen and elastic fibres between the alveoli which help with elastic recoil, springing back in order to expel carbon dioxide rich air and maintain a concentration gradient. Reading the whole gas exchange section helped with the understanding now I think tackling the application questions stems from exam technique which I practised by doing a biology AS paper (2011 16 may), I got 50/60 83 % or an A, which is okay but not really Ideal, I am hoping with more past papers my grade will increase. I was harsh
on question
1(a) (ii) I wrote simply "glucose" instead for "alpha glucose" when mentioning the monosaccharide that was produced during the hydrolysis of lactose. Which lost me the mark
questions 4 (6/8) marks:
I lost a mark on part B for not being able to work out the rate at which person A breathed air out of their lungs between 0 to 3 seconds.
Question 5 (4/6) marks
5(b)(ii)Failing to mention that the control group should have the drug administrated in tablet form, similarly to the group with is being tested.
5(c) And not being able to use he graph to explain that taking the drug reduces acid secretion for 3 hours or 1 to 4 hours.
Question 6(4/5) marks
6(b) The question asked why the pressure in the ventricle is higher than in the atrium, I accurately stated that this is due to thicker muscle in ventricular walls, but lost a mark for not saying that this results in stronger contractions.
Question 8 (8/10) marks
7(b)(I) was asking about the meaning of the word antigen, which I wrote was" a protein molecule found on the cell surface membrane of a substance,organism, or more usually a pathogen, which the body recognises as non self, and stimulates an immune response. This response was to general and the question required more an answer more specific to the example of chlamydia given.
7(c) This was an evaluation question. on whether people should be vaccinated to prevent infection by chlamydia. lost one mark for not mentioning how vaccination would reduce heart attacks, how the vaccine was costly and how it was cheaper to vaccinate than actively try to treat heart disease
Question 8 (8/10) marks
8(b) asked about how the epithelial cells that line the small intestine are adapted for the absorption of glucose, i took this to mean "explain co transport", which it did not, but managed to pick up marks for mentioning, Microvilli increasing the surface area for absorption, facilitated diffusion and active transport requiring external ATP energy. Lost two marks for neglecting
+carrier proteins for active transport
+Membrane - bound enzymes digesting dissacharides and producing glucose.
Reply 21
Note to self,

Recently in philosophy I've been practising questions,and I felt strange, when evaluating (the 10 mark question ) and the 25 mark essay questions, I felt as though I couldn't really explain myself too well. So I asked my teacher how to bring up my results and he said I need to really grapple and tackle the question, and stick with a specific but very strong point to show that I have fully thought of the question and then read ahead, this is my plan:

Religious Studies:
Monday- produce an A3 poster with all possible exam questions on platos analogy of the cave and possibly ethics on abortion
Tuesday-Produce an A3 poster on Aristotle with all exam questions that could come up on him whilst also completing a euthanasia poster.
Wednesday - Produce an A3 poster on Juedeo Christian beliefs on could with all exam questions and exam structures, then a poster on Bentham, Mill and Singer's utilitarianism
-Thursday - Produce an A3 poster on Cosmological Argument and Teleological Argument then on Kant
Friday - Problem of evil A3 poster along with Science vs Religion poster questions with quotes.

Maths:
Complete one c1 paper per day whilst also practising c2 and M1 questions.
- Memorise all the formulas need for each module.
-Complete a c2 paper
-If need be read ahead in m1 and c2
- Last c1 paper score 65/76 = 86 % not ideal but getting there
-Attend a minimum of 3 workshops on c2

Chemistry:
-Finish up on hess' law booklet
-Thoroughly go through practical/ EMPA style questions so I am prepared for exam practical questions
-Go over inorganic chemistry
-Complete a past paper on unit 1 per day
-Show teacher my work log in blue chemistry book.
-More bitesize notes for extra revision
Biology:
-Do the Fish and lungs test
-After read and finish the plant topic then move onto the next one, read ahead slightly to get a better grip on subjects, learn it at home , revise it in school.
- Do a series of questions or complete a past paper a per day.
-Make more bitesize notes to revise when walking or just eating.
Very organised, I like it! :borat: well done on your C1 grade too.
Reply 23
Original post by SeanFM
Very organised, I like it! :borat: well done on your C1 grade too.

Thank you for the support :biggrin:
Reply 24
16/03/2016

- In the past few days I've managed to complete two essays for religious studies on the moral issues surrounding euthanasia, completed 1 biology paper, 2 Maths papers (c1 and m1) and am now focussing on practising my C2. My most recent c1 grade was 90% 68/75 which I am fairly happy with, now my target is consistency. The fish and lungs test has been completed however I don't know when the grades will be coming out all I know is that there will be a test on digestion in the following week.

I managed to get a good grip of M1 maths momentum and recently started projectiles in the classroom, meaning that projectiles should be the last topic that I am unfamiliar with.

Chemistry:

Today consisted of going over halogenoalkanes and different mechanisms such as: free radical substitution, nucleophilic elimination and substitution and being able to recognise when the question is asking for each of these different mechanisms. I can recall that conditions which favour the nucleophilic substitution include, the base being dissolved in ethanol, very high temperatures and more methyl groups. For example in when 2-bromopropane is reacted with hydroxide ions dissolved in ethanol( usually in the form of a reagent, for example ethanolic potassium hydroxide) the hydroxide nucleophile acts as a base or proton acceptor, it removes the Hydrogen ion (H+), from the carbon atom on the left, this cause the carbon atom to have an extra electron which it uses to form a double bond with the middle carbon atom. In this case using curly arrows to show the mechanism, the delta negative bromine must leave the middle delta positive carbon in order for the carbon atom to have only four bonds, the re arrangement of electrons results in the expulsion of the bromine.; this forms a bromide ion which forms potassium bromide with the potassium cation which was part of the reagent carrying the hydroxide nucleophile. The hydrogen removed forms water with the hydroxide base. The other product formed will be an alkene named propene.

- Tomorrow's plans:

Complete biology digestion revision and paper
-Complete chemistry paper
Reply 25
Recieved a mechanics paper back, recieved 38/50 which resulted in a B. I drop four marks before the final seven mark question which was on vectors pointing in the north westerly direction, I missed out three easy marks that would have launched me into 41/50 which is the necessary A grade territory, the question was asking me to find the angle at which the resultant force was acting at. My teacher advised me that with the AQA board the main focus is on vectors so I must push hard to make sure I understand them as they are the main focus of the board.
My confidence in specific mechanics topics from low to high:
-vectors
-Projectiles
-RUVAT, r= r0+vt
-Tension
-SUVAT
-Resolving forces on a slope/in equilibrium
-Resolving forces
-Momentum
-Speed time - graphs

Last week I managed to complete 2 c1 papers scoring 64 on both which is an A but I am unhappy with because they are so close to the B grade. Then I went through some MPC2 questions and created a poster in order to memorise the c2 formulas as I felt that was my biggest hindrance. My plans this holiday are to finish the C2 topic and Biology unit 2 before I return to school after the easter holidays. with my grades currently resting at ABBC, it is really worrying, My c1 exam is less than one month away, and I am more concerned about my C2 though. Today I managed to complete another Biology test on digestion after receiving 70% on my previous gas exchange paper.

Yesterday I managed to complete two essays on Kant ethical theory, in preparation for the test we had today. Hopefully both tests went well. Tomorrow I should be sitting a haloalkanes and energetics test paper which I practised for through use of chemrevise and past paper questions.
Reply 26
25/03/2016
Today managed to compete a solid two hours of chemistry revision mainly various past papers on halogenoalkanes, on the topics of free radical substitution, nucleophilic substitution, and base elimination aswell as going through the mark scheme, in short I made sure I prepared for the up and coming test including the energetics part; unfortunately, the papers were lost, meaning our test had been postponed until after the easter holidays 1 month before our actual exam. My heart is racing. I grasped the concept of half equations and am also filling out a chemistry work log in order to track my progress and work.

I also managed to do work on projectiles for the M1 topic, however still need some work, but comfortable with the fact that the class has completely finished the topic. Now I understand that it takes me sometime to fully understand an Idea so starting tomorrow( technically today), I plan on finishing the whole of Biology( on the final section now), the whole of C2( only have integration, differentiation, trapezium rule and logarithms left) and possibly chemistry.
Reply 27

***Easter Holiday Revision Plan***

Mathematics ( MPC1, MPC2 and M1)

Complete the M1 homework given and also the c2 questions,

MPC1 goal: 5 complete past papers with an average score of 90% or above, if my overall score over the five is less than 90% I must do it again

MPC2 goal: To compete the topic of Differentiation by 27/03/2016 and integration and trapezium rule by 29/03/2016 and finally logarithms by 31/03/2016

M1 Goal: Go over the topic of projectiles and vectors, fully understand them, then commence in same challenge as with M1 papers, an average score of 90% +

Biology ( Unit 1 and Unit 2)

complete the biology homework which was to read over DNA handouts and work through revision questions booklet. If I do eleven pages a day I can finish roughly before the new school term.

Unit 1 goal: 5 past papers with an average of 90 % +

Unit 2 goal: Finish the topic then begin past papers under same conditions as unit 1.

Chemistry (Unit 1 and Unit 2)

Go over the alkenes topic and inorganic chemistry booklet whilst filling out work log.

Unit 1 goal: Complete 5 past papers with an average of 90%, if any less must be done again, 88% can also be accepted.

Unit 2 Goal: To revise any previous material learned before Easter break up.

Religious Studies( Philosophy and Ethics)

Finish the problem of evil booklet and Kant theory booklet for Easter holiday.

Ethics Goal: 5 complete past paper question essays complete for marking.

Philosophy: 5 complete past paper question essays complete for marking.

Read more around the subject in order to start hitting the highest marks.

Revise the teleological argument

Super curricular Goals:
To being volunteering ( received a response from a volunteering organisation)
Write OCRE logs on interesting scientific news
Read more into summer camps( applied for Sutton Trust, Rejected by UNIQ, I think my statement was not focussed enough on academics, more so on extracurricular.
Visiting leeds university and checking their year 12 activities/ workshops

Finalising choices for university as the clock is ticking and im sitting on a shaking fence now.

Reply 28
Managed to finish all the C2 homework and M1 homework questions for easter break today, meaning my main focus will now be on papers and finishing the rest of this module. I found the C2 and M1 questions slightly challenging and will look for more online. I only struggled with an indices questions and a integration questions( final mark lost due to improper addition). For the rest of today I plan on completing (in this order) :

Biology: 11 pages easter homework, then read through the dna handouts
Chemistry: 2 unit 1 past papers then update my score here
Religious studies: Complete the problem of evil booklet, then go on to complete a problem of evil essay (25 mark and 10 mark).
Reply 29
Finished a unit 1 chemistry paper and graded harshly receiving (58/70) = 83 % in roughly 1 hour and 10 minutes, this is the first out of my 90 % + chemistry paper challenge, so not a good start, but is beneficial in highlighting my weakness, my main focus is to move as far away from the grade borderline as I can, and secure a strong A/ A*.
This is how I will structure my revision to tackle this problem, more revision in that specific area and learning mark scheme phrases.
Reply 30
Ok Finished January MPC1 2011 maths paper, the first of the five papers, that I must complete and get a 90% + average over. In this one I managed to get 66/75 88%, . in the 1 hour 20 minute timeframe, I took off 2 benefit of the doubt marks I had given, better to be safe than sorry and harsh now . a weakness I spotted was my inability to complete the square with negative numbers involved, and needing more work on the earlier inequality stuff done at the start of the year.
Reply 31
Completed a 25 mark essay on the teleological arguments made by Aquinas and William Paley then went on to do a 10 mark questions on how mills argument may be fatal to the design argument. I spent so much time finishing the rest of M1 that I neglected my biology 11 pages task , luckily I did a few extra pages yesterday to make up for it, and will do the same tomorrow( technically today).

I attempted my first m1 paper of the challenge, achieving 60/75 which is just 80%, and I checked the grade boundaries of the M1B January 2011 paper I did, the grade boundaries wanted 61/75 for an A, need more work. My flaws lay in tension questions vectors (which I will also focus on) and certain questions involving resolving the forces on a particle on a light extensible string. With one particle hanging over a peg and the other one at rest on the ground.

Tomorrow I shall complete:
3 more C1 papers
another unit 1 chemistry paper
my biology questions and more papers
and finally a general studies exam paper.

For super curricular I will get in touch with a Doctor I previously did work experience with and also a volunteering organisation.
Reply 32
Keep pushing forward, coming up to the final weeks now, all I can do is hope that all i've done is sufficient to achieve my dream,
Finished a MPC1 paper 1 hour 10 mins another 60/75 , just keep pushing forward.
I lost marks on the translation, and Ive done so over and over again, I need to revise this
just keep pushing forward

Next today I'll be completing a biology past paper
Reply 33
Finished my 11 pages on biology now time for a chemistry unit1 paper with the score that will be recorded for the 90+% revision task. Unrelated, found former peers that were two years my senior from my high-school both going to different top ranking universities, which was really inspirational :biggrin:
Reply 34
Managed to finish my first unit 1 biology paper which was the May 2011 one I think scoring 47/55 ,( I knocked of 5 marks as we are not doing them in this years spec) this roughly about 85%, on the paper, Again my weaknesses lie in application questions for example the imatnib question, which I didn't realise was pointing towards the fact that proteins are used in carrying the drug. However I luckily did go over a similar question with a biology teacher before the term ended which means I managed to do the questions. My knowledge on immunity is weak, I managed to score 4/5 marks for the question on how specific cells could be used/ utilised in vaccination, whihc was a question which cam up in my mock exam. I didn't understand whether the questions was asking if the specific cells themselves were given to the person or if an attenuated vaccine was, so I wrote about the latter which turned out to be correct.

Tried the method of writing down a mark scheme answer from the paper for each question I got wrong.

My plan was to focus more of my time on exam style questions so for biology I restricted myself to only 2 hours reading in the morning and forbade myself from any more in order to answer more past papers.
Tuesday Plan

complete 3 MPC1 papers update score[x]
complete 2 chemistry unit 1 papers update score [x]
complete 3 M1B papers then update my score here[x]
Reply 35
TSR.JPG
Completed the C1 past papers:
MPC1 22 May 2006: 88% 66/75
MPC1- 16 May 2012 85% 64/75
MPC! 24 May 2010: 89% 67/75
MPC! 18 may 2011: 80% 60/75

Aveerage: 86% which is ok. Not my aim though.
Then I finished a unit chemistry past paper harsh marking: 62/70 89%
hoping to managed to smash out some c2 and m1 throughout the rest of this week whilst also doing biology, chemistry, religious studies and general studies
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChiefKwen
Completed the tC1 past papers:
MPC1 22 May 2006: 88% 66/75
MPC1- 16 May 2012 85% 64/75
MPC! 24 May 2010: 89% 67/75
MPC! 18 may 2011: 80% 60/75

Aveerage: 86% which is ok. Not my aim though.
Then I finished a unit chemistry past paper harsh marking: 62/70 89%
hoping to managed to smash out some c2 and m1 throughout the rest of this week whilst also doing biology, chemistry, religious studies and general studies

Well done :h: your grades seem to be getting higher slowly but surely.
Reply 37
31/03/2016

Managed to go through a biology and disease paper unit 1 BIO1, scoring 54/60 90% 55 minutes 28 seconds which is one of my first 90's, hopefully I can move further forwards now f, this was biology and disease may 2012, I did well one the first few sections then lost a mark on question,
3(b), which asked for the movement of the diaphragm during inspiration, I began by talking about the rib action and intercostal muscles, which the mark scheme specifically said to ignore meaning I received no marks, however I managed to save it by writing about the drop in pulmonary pressure and increase in the thoracic volume to draw air in from a higher to lower pressure.
The next mark I lost at question
4). I read the graph wrong which was asking for the rate at which sodium ions were being taken up; resulting in me getting the wrong answer (0.13) as I divided 4 by 30 instead of 6 by 30
4(b) In this question I did not use the necessary amount of information from the graph, I neglected to mention that the cyanide decreases sodium uptake to 8.4 units after around 20-22 minutes.
7(a) I put down condensation reaction instead of hydrolysis reaction due to me trying to race against time
7(b) This question asked about why the peptides mention in the question could not be diffused through the small intestine. I lost one mark for not mention how the peptides may not be able to pass through the membrane through a carrier protein or channel protein.
8(a)
I attempted the a question which won't be on this years syllabus, but I didn't like deducing marks from the maximum amount of marks that could be gained, so I used my knowledge from previous similar questions to answer the involvement of sinoatrial nodes and AVN nodes in regulating the contraction of the heart. I lost one mark for not saying the ventricles contract from the apex upwards.
8(b) Another question not on the syllabus asking about coronary heart disease and how diet may cause higher risks of it, I did not mention the increase risk of a clot or how less oxygen/glucose moves to the heart.

Then I attempted a Biology unit 2 past paper (May 2012), I was a little bit hesitant as we haven't yet finished the second unit, but I decided to go through it anyway, most of the questions I could answer, meaning that we are close to the end of unit two. my overall grade was slightly disappointing 65/85 which was 76%, and an A in that specific year according to the grade boundaries. My overall grade would have been 82% that year. why won't you grooooooooooow grades ???! :s-smilie:

Then I finished the day off with a Chemistry unit 1 Paper, I received 61/70 marks which is a 87 %.
Reply 38
On super curricular activities I contacted a doctor for some work experience and asked if I could also help in a research project which should be really exciting.
Reply 39
Finished two M1 MM1B papers yesterday receiving 60/75( June 2010 paper) and 65/75(Jan 2009 paper ) , 80% and 86% respectively, this unit remains my weakest one;
I plan on completing four c2 papers today as I feel I have been neglecting it slightly then moving on to more;
biology unit 1 and 2 papers
then finishing off with a chemistry unit 2 questions paper
and final two essays(Religious studies) by the end of today( which may span on past 12am).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending