The Student Room Group

ChiefKwens' Road to 4As and OCRE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ok managed to go through four c2 papers yesterday scoring an average of 75% - 80%, the main thing that seems to be letting me down is this final question on every sequences question which ends with the sigma "sum of" symbol. I understand how to find the sum of these natural numbers but struggle on this question, my plan for tomorrow is to attack this head on in specific questions rather than broader papers.

An 81 % in a biology paper unit 1 I did yesterday as well, disappointing, but seem to be mainly messing up on the data/ graph reading table, it seems I head gotten to grips to answering correctly these type of questions but not being able to understand the concept. Meaning when the question asked about a flavenoids experiment, I used other question answers I had wrote as a template for answering the data question, this lost me a few marks.

Then today I went through 2 essays in the morning, 10 minutes of reading before hand( in order to maximise time spent of the essay), it seems like with most of the 25 mark questions in Religious studies, the best way to gain many marks is to tick all of what is on the syllabus, whilst also presenting extra curricular information, which is hinted at but not necessarily taught in class.

02/04/2016
More MM1B papers, my strong suits seem to be momentum, forces, resolving, kinematics( besides vectors) and pulleys, whilst my weakness are primarily found in vector questions and projectiles.

I need a more structured time table so that I do not feel guilty about not doing certain subjects in a day:

As follows for tomorrow/today:

Chemistry

1. Complete chemistry past papers while revising for the haloalkanes and energetics test.
Use the alevelchemistry.com website for questions and answer them whilst also using moodle for the lesson power-points and presentation. - 2 hours
Maths M1
-Cement the knowledge I have on projectiles, mainly completing homework projectile questions and extra questions on physicsandmaths tutor, and the move on to doing the same for vectors - 3 hours 30 minutes max
-Then a few m1 past papers, then record my score(s) here - 2hours
Maths MPC2:
-Likewise visit nrich, physicsandmaths tutor, and examsolutions for difficult questions in sequences and series, and more advanced binomial expansion questions.
-Focus is directed to Sigma symbol questions
Aim: To have a solid knowledge on how to approach the sequences and binomial expansion questions in the exams.
All in all - 2 hours 30 minutes maximum
- Then finally go on to finish a C2 paper, 90% + will be a satisfactory mark. Any less and I need to post my mistakes and show that I understand the question- 1 hour 30 minutes

Biology Unit 2:
-Go through my biology work log, 22 pages must be completed, if able more can be done, but minimum is 22 pages in my question booklet which is currently on plants, an leads onto haemoglobin, then the circulatory system - 2 hours

Super Curricular:
Write 2 logs for the OCRE group:
-One being on the topic of heating tension in Somalia, and how the safety of physicians in the country is constantly under threat, which impairs their ability to perform there:

Aim of OCRE log is to present the core values of the healthcare system that I respect, to present the issue in primary healthcare system in countries where there are high tensions/ wars, and to offer input and ideas.
My other log will be on a more scientific topic, -
- Research more on the zika virus for a presentation and complex eyes -

And the I should be done for the day.

This day will start between 6:45am to 7:00am. If the first phase is successful I will comment here between these times :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Beginning phase one
Reply 42
Original post by ChiefKwen
Beginning phase one

Chemistry Revision complete, went through a 23 may 2011 CHEM1 paper, scoring 61/70 which is 87% and an A, then went on to do some another past paper which I have yet to mark. Next up is cementing the mechanics 1, projectiles and vectors.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
More MM1B papers complete, and I am feeling more confident on the projectiles and vectors section of m1, my next task will be to begin the C2 work. But first I think i should try a c1 paper then record my score here to make sure I am well and truly fine with everything on c1.
Reply 44
phase 3 done. I tried the MPC1 paper may 2010 24, 55 minutes 1 second, I gain 71/75 marks roughly 95% which I am ok with, I lost marks due to not being able to prove an equation has no roots, and another 2 marks for messing up when trying to find the gradient, I did (-2-5) rather than (-2--5) which would be (-2+5).

Then I went on to do some c2 work, clearing up my confusion with the sigma signs thanks to an examsolutions tutorial. I understood the way he taught it. I think this is a good way to revise, I may end the night early at 11pm latest. And plot my timetable for revision within the exam period.

-ChiefKwen
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Phase number 4 ready to be launched will report back once I have finished my set biology task
Reply 46
Managed to complete my biology past paper question challenge today. Then I created a few revision notes which included memorising mark scheme answers which I struggled on so for today's timetable I plan on doing:

Biology:

-22 pages of biology past paper questions
- 2 unit 1 past papers under timed conditions then a unit 2 paper
-write up my scores on here

Maths:
- complete 3 c2 past papers under timed conditions while recording score here
-Complete an m1 paper then record score on here
-And also go through a c1 paper then record my score on here
For all the modules I plan on assess where I keep losing marks the most and focus on those questions

Religious Studies:

-Complete 3 full essays two on the teleological argument
-Finally complete a work booklet given on Kant then complete 2 essays on him under timed conditions

Finally before bed : complete a unit 1 and 2 past paper for chemistry. I want to start sleeping around 10:30pm and waking up earlier so this schedule may shift into early tomorrow if not all completed today.
Reply 47
Maths M1: MM1B, - June 2006, I took 1 hour 29 minutes and got 64/75 85% A which was pretty painful, for an A that year you needed 61/75, I lost my first mark for not mentioning that a fault in the velocity time graph was "Acceleration is unlikely to change so abruptly or velocity is unlikely to be constant" a phrase I have now memorised. I lost 2 further marks for being careless and not resolving properly due to a sign error. Another 2 marks on 6 b) for not reading the question and using the previous speed as initial velocity rather than the one given in the question, the mistake was also carried onto ii) of the question costing me a further two marks.
Then I did C1 paper of the same year (2006) receiving 65/75 87% for an A that year I think you needed 56 marks.
Love this thread bro. Keep grinding, let's hope we succeed.
Reply 49
Finished 2 religious studies, ethics essay questions and unit 1 chemistry which I recieved 63/70 on roughly 90% which is an A, whihc I am actually happy about, main task for improvement now is UNIT 2, then brushing up on my shapes and molecules questions. Same for biology my main focus now should be unit 2's for biology and chemistry. I'm neglecting a paper today so that I can get up earlier in mornings, good night tsr

-Note: I should really look and read the question sometimes; information given may be the difference between two grades.
Reply 50
Original post by richpanda
Love this thread bro. Keep grinding, let's hope we succeed.

Thank you alot man, lets hope we do. :biggrin: , do you know what you want to do in uni ?
Original post by ChiefKwen
Thank you alot man, lets hope we do. :biggrin: , do you know what you want to do in uni ?

Probably one of mechanical, chemical or aeronautical engineering, not sure if I'd want to do it as a job all my life though.
Reply 52
Yesterday I managed to finish a MPC1 paper 20 may 2009, gaining 69/75 marks = 90%, now I think I need to focus more on my confidence around the topic and m1 and c2. I practised some m1 questions on projectiles and am really starting to understand it, and vectors. My biggest confusion with vectors was a question which would arise asking you to determine the speed when a particle is travelling in a north west position. I understood that this meant both i and j vectors were positive, but did not understand that you had to equate them.

Today's work 08/04/2016
I managed to go through a few essays on the teleological arguement and cement my knowledge on it, my main fear with writing essays was sounding like I had no clue, but this was resolved by looking at exemplar answers and some stuf outside the spec e.g (enchiridon xi) - (objection 2 for the fifth way ) for Augustine and Calvinism for natural law.

Then went through a biology paper -2014 june unit 1, I gained 48/60, around 80% which wasn't my target my main marks were lost on a section on immunity which I think I need to clear up any uncertainties on.

Yesterday
I also managed to go to a debate club session which was quite interesting, our topic for research is the panama papers, however we mainly focused on court room cases and the power of "yes and no" questions in public speaking. On a side note, how are people revising for the biology and chemistry practical papers, are you doing empa questions or working from the book?
Reply 53
09/04/2016

I managed to complete a mechanics past paper, which I am slowly gaining more confidence on. 63/75 in 1 hour 21 minutes which is 84%. My next plan for today is to go over DNA and meiosis whist creating notes on the topic for our task before half term ends. then do a unit 1 biology paper.
For chemistry: unit 1 and 2 papers
For Maths: 2 MPC1 papers, go over logarithms in MPC2
For Religious studies: To confidently finish Judeo Christian bible quotes.

Finally finish zika virus presentation notes and script.
Reply 54
Ok managed to do some reading around binomial expansion and chemistry unit 2, for further understanding, we have three test that I know of (Chemistry unit 2, Religious Studies - Teleological argument and A biology test on the circulatory system, and most likely an M1 mock or C2 mock). For today I plan on finishing a c1 paper, c2 paper, mm1b paper, chemistry unit 1 paper, biology unit 1 paper and the reading over my biology unit 2 notes on DNA. I will post scores here then go through what I feel went wrong in the papers. Starting with c1
Reply 55
Finished a june 2008 core 1 paper. My aim was full marks, but ended up getting 67/75 :s .
my first mark lost was on question 1). a). I didn't write down the (1/3, 0) intercept of the line which lost me one mark.
3) d) ii). The final question asked for the maximum value of v, I didn't realise at first that you need to sub in the found maximum value into the original equation.
4(c). Lost one mark for the translation vector, I put the vertical movement as four instead of 7/4 even though I had found it in the previous question.
5). b). This time I lost 2 marks on the integration question for not halving the area of a triangle and ultimately getting the wrong answer.
7(b)(ii) I correctly figured out the gradient of a tangent but did not carry forward the sign, resulting in a different answer.
8(b) Then finally losing a mark for not correctly expressing the range of values which k could be.

My next paper will be the Mechanics 1 paper of the same year
Reply 56
Recently finished my chemistry unit 1 paper and got 60/70 86% and in my maths mechanics 1 paper I got 67/75 89%. My plan for today is maybe do some DNA biology notes, finish a unit 1 biology paper then work on my script for a presentation I need to do. I started getting a little down, coming to the end of the easter holidays , I haven't been hitting the target I wanted to 90%+. I completed my five papers per subject challenge and went over which I am slightly happy with. But still feel as though it wasn't enough, just one little push is what I need to give, I made a promise to myself that I would not rest until I finally got into medical school. So I need to just keep going, until I leap over the edge. Thank you TSR.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 57
24/04/2016 :

Realised I haven't updated, I went through with the ocre zika virus presentation which went well, I'll be holding off extra curricular activities until exam season is over, but also look for some work experience in the mean time. I have an M1 test this following wednesday and managed to complete three m1 papers for it, average at about 83%, My plan for today is to continue doing M1 revision (2hours 30 mins), go through biology unit 2 genetic diversity and create a mind map on what we learned.(2 hours 30 mins), Do some chemistry practical questions (2hours), the Religious studies mind map for homework.(1 hour 30 mins )

My main focus on m1 after a past paper will be pulleys and connected particles(tow bars) as I seem to be losing marks on those questions the most.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Ok I seem to have gotten to grips with the tow bar tension questions, but still need confirmation on the tan(a) questions. Finished the two m1 papers, scoring 62/75 for the 2008 January, after this mock I planned to get familiar with c2 papers and questions. Next step is to finish my biology unit 2 genetic diversity notes and finish the exam questions for homework.

Should be able to place in practical chemistry questions and reading some of "the alchemist" book. Then waking up early tomorrow around 6:00am ish for the morning run, if successful will post here at 6:00am exactly.
Reply 59
Ok, received two rejections, one from Sutton trust and another from uniq now hoping for a Birmingham summer school despite, shaky GCSEs. Also managed to complete two chemistry unit 1 papers for class home works, scoring 60/70 for the 2014 may and 54/70 for the 2013 January edition. We completed a mechanics test on Wednesday and I was told I got an A 60/75 = 80% which I was sort of happy with. Then managed to complete two c2 papers scoring 60/75 on one and 54/75 on another, my main focus being on series and transformations. Then finally tried the C1 may 2015 exam and scored 68/75 ,losing marks on the cylinder question for not being able to recall the formula for the area of the cylinder. Then finally got my R.S papers back scoring 61/70 combined.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending