The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Who's gonna do the new United thread?
It'll be a biggie - new manager, new signings, new season.

I vote myself.
Original post by Lúcio
Who's gonna do the new United thread?
It'll be a biggie - new manager, new signings, new season.

I vote myself.

Let me do it again :smile: @sr90
Original post by Dirtybit
Let me do it again :smile: @sr90

Actually I change my vote to SAF or swarley.
Either way it would be hilarious...
Original post by Lúcio
Actually I change my vote to SAF or swarley.
Either way it would be hilarious...

You don't have a vote fool
Original post by sr90
Both clubs with a blank cheque and in dire need of a squad rebuild. Very interested to see what happens to both of us.

Fire sale of average players across Europe.

Gunna be mad.

Even West Ham are getting 30million bids rejected.
Mata will presumably go as Jose didn't like him at Chelsea despite being player of the year I think twice in a row before Jose came back.

I'm expecting Ibrahimovic to come. He's BFFs with Mourinho and United only have Rashford and Martial up front, presuming they continue to do well. Would've been nice to still have Hernandez...and Kagawa...and Di Maria...sigh...
(edited 7 years ago)
Would be a good week if Jose was announced and then Ibra.
Dirty needs to get out more. :biggrin:
lol @ Lucio
Original post by Rk2k14
Dirty needs to get out more. :biggrin:
lol @ Lucio

Rk total posts: 8,239

Dirtybit total posts: 7,888

Ermm ok
Rk total posts: 8,239

Dirtybit total posts: 7,888

Ermm ok

How many of yours are gifs tho?
Original post by Rk2k14
How many of yours are gifs tho?

------- When you get rekt and you start talking about irrelevant stuff
------- When you get rekt and you start talking about irrelevant stuff

Majority of my posts are gifs tho. Hence why I have a lot of posts.

Strong comprehension.
Original post by Rk2k14
Majority of my posts are gifs tho. Hence why I have a lot of posts.

Strong comprehension.

Are you high or just plain stupid?

You STILL have more posts than me so you can't talk about me needing to get out more
Are you high or just plain stupid?

You STILL have more posts than me so you can't talk about me needing to get out more

You've also got more 500 posts than me in this thread alone.

If I'm going out you're coming with me:wink:
stop being mean to each other ffs:frown:
Reply 9656
I vote SAF
LVG is such a mong these stories that are coming out are so embarrassing
Reply 9659
Original post by Fizzel
He was surplus to requirements, you have no idea as to his status with a new manager coming in. Being surplus under Pep does't mean he's not going to be central under Carlo.

The two Mourinho camps are both taking it too far, he's not going to change who he is but then the caricature that is being painted is extreme. I think this last spell at Chelsea is being to heavily used. Many of those narratives being levelled a his Chelsea side as being part of his style of football are clearly now deeper than just Jose's mark on the team. In many ways a parallel to Moyes' United, the question is not so much about the team its how the team was able to fool everyone so convincingly the previous season.

Well it wasn't that weak of a team, the issues are our fullback situation(which was exacerbated by selling Filipe Luis but can easily be solved by using Azpilicueta at RB) , the lack of a box to box midfielder(which prevents us from playing freeflowing attacking football) and I guess a lack of a Diego Costa replacement who can also play alongside him. The team however was underperforming due to poor individual performances and as you can see from Dortmund, one or two tactical tweaks and avoiding any key departures can get the team back to the previous level.

I think he'll be a much better position at United than he was at either Chelsea or Real, as we have a very weak board and a distant ownership. He won't be facing the internal issues like he did with Grant or Valdano. There simply isn't anyone active enough with enough power at United to do that, other than the class of 92' and their influence is mainly external via the media. Within the team, he really only has an issue with Rooney potentially, but even then Rooney isn't what he once was. DDG for example is a Mendes client so I'd think that will be private as far as any issues go. No one else at United carries the clout to ignite a Casillas type war. The real issue with Jose's time at the club will be with regard to the media (Manchester derby and Jose/Pep is journalism gold) and potentially Woodward but that will come so time down the line possibly transfer related, with United not having the draw we once did if we cannot match the squad City assemble.

While I think its foolish to expect a free flowing attacking style under Jose I think his time as Madrid and his record there mean he's not Pulis either. The defence will come first but once he can balance attack and defence as he would like, we could see some counter attacking football which United fans will love. Team is obviously going to need an overhaul but without the budgetary restrictions he had at Chelsea, I think its clear that could very easily be achieved in 1-2 windows. LVG has already given the youth a run so I think Jose will be clear as to whether he sticks with them or not, no need to hope he gives them games to prove themselves. Of the established youth players, I would think only Lingard is a surefire casualty. Shaw will be fine, Depay could go either way, Martial will be fine, and Rashford I think will slip to second choice but he'll stick around. Will be interested to see the fate of many of our midfielders would think Morgan is the only one who is safe under Jose.

Yeah Mourinho will have less internal issues which I guess could affect him(like there is a lot of pressure at Madrid and Chelsea in that regard) while he also found a way to play good football(although I guess that's dependent on the players he has and the board). You can see that in the first half of 14/15 José was able to play attacking football but his lack of rotation/faith in the backup players meant that he was unable to play that football for the entire season.

John Terry is another issue in the squad as well, you can't really play a high line which affects our ability to play more free flowing football and the lack of a box to box player also affects our ability to transition defence to attack and vice versa.

I reckon he could get Schweinsteiger working well. I think Mata is going to go and you'll likely be using Depay/another winger and Martial.

I also wonder Rooney's future but I reckon he'll still play.

One thing I disagree with is that there draws parallels to Moyes United, if anything it draws parallels to Dortmund. The season was over so quickly, our star player wasn't even fit for half the season and the managers were playing nonsense tactics that involved using a snail midfield expecting that to protect the already snail defence and making our striker run the channel on the left wing instead of playing where a striker is supposed to play. Hopefully the new manager stops the pass to Hazard tactic and our creative players actually step up to be game winners.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest