The Student Room Group

RAF medical hearing test

I recently had my hearing test test and failed but I wasn't in a sound proof booth and there was a lot of background noise from a near by road(major road about 10m away), I was sat in the same room as the person administering test and at one point his phone rang causing distraction and a lot of noise. The conditions I did my test in don't seem very standard. I just wondered if my experience is normal? Thanks.
Reply 1
From what you have said it seems to me that this isn't the norm as I've heard most people say it was a soundproof booth they sat theirs in, it certainly was when I sat mine. I would try and appeal it and see if you can have it either retaken or done at a local doctors. Good luck.
Reply 2
Your experience sounds fairly similar to mine, I could hear other patients in the waiting room, people opening and closing doors and cars outside, it was done in a separate room to the rest of the examination but certainly wasn't a soundproof booth. I have read on here and other forums people who have also experienced this so your not alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 08pynna
I recently had my hearing test test and failed but I wasn't in a sound proof booth and there was a lot of background noise from a near by road(major road about 10m away), I was sat in the same room as the person administering test and at one point his phone rang causing distraction and a lot of noise. The conditions I did my test in don't seem very standard. I just wondered if my experience is normal? Thanks.

Definitely appeal. I had a very similar experience to you. I failed initially but then complained about the conditions of the test. They took me to a soundproof room.

I went from failing the test in both ears to reaching well above the pass mark
Reply 4
Brilliant thanks for your help!
Reply 5
I also recently had my medical and the hearing test wasn't in a sound proof room, all I had was noise cancelling headphones that weren't so noise cancelling..

I was sat right next to the desk of the doctor and she even said if the background noise is too loud to let her know (not sure what would have happened if I did say something) luckily it was fairly quiet.

If you have failed it I would definitely appeal as all hearing tests I have done in the past (non RAF related) have been in sound proof rooms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my hearig test in the same conditions as yours, it was very distracting and very hard to hear the bleeps!
Luckily i passed but i definatly think you could appeal as it was nearly impossible to hear the beeps when things are going on around you!!
Reply 7
Mine was in a room, equidistant between the door to the busy reception and the single pane window that overlooked a road. The doctor went in and out of the room several times. No idea how I passed but I'm not going to ask! I have a couple of friends who had similar conditions for their tests. Worth an appeal, but I never even knew it could be done in a soundproof booth until reading this thread.
I'd definitely appeal it, especially if his phone was calling because some of the beeps were so difficult to hear when I did mine (16th February). Although I did mine in a non-soundproof room, I was quite fortunate to have no background noise apart from some people chatting I could hear in another room. Luckily I still passed my medical with no problems, how long does it take the for them to get in touch about organising a fitness test date?

Quick Reply

Latest