The Student Room Group

Why are BTEC students underestimated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Both my friend and I are BTEC students, currently doing level 3 extended diploma in health and social care.
That question is something I always ask myself. But now it's gotten to the point where I just don't care. People always assume that BTEC student are dumb and not academically strong enough to do A-levels. However that's not the truth. My friend and I did alright with our GCSEs meaning we were able to do A-levels, we just chose not to. In fact a lot of the girls in my class are pretty bright. It's just with the career we wanted to go into we felt that BTEC was more beneficial, not forgetting the fact that it allows us to do more work experience than the A-level health and social care.
At the end of the day why should it matter what we're doing in college. I'm doing something I enjoy, I can still get into uni and find a good job.
There's really no need to look down on BTEC because there are no exams/difficulty in getting in Oxbridge etc etc etc
I can write a long essay for this if I wanted to but I'm not gonna

I chose a BTEC for the same reason you did, I felt like this thread was something I needed to get off my chest. Most of the kids on my course did extremely well and are bright kids, so it's not like we are stupid. Thank you for agreeing with me! I don't really care anymore about the cheek I get for being a BTEC student because I am passionate about art and a BTEC opens opportunities for both HE progression and going into the world of work.
Original post by SmartyPants115
are you for real?

---
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ckfeister
Ok so, go to Cambridge > Undergraduate > Courses > Education then on the side there is... Education (with Physics) thats a straight route into teaching you gain QTS while studying for the Master degree in Physics while sciencitific content ready for top quality teaching for Britain.

You could've made life a lot easier if you just said you wanted to teach physics.
Ok so, go to Cambridge > Undergraduate > Courses > Education then on the side there is... Education (with Physics) thats a straight route into teaching you gain QTS while studying for the Master degree in Physics while sciencitific content ready for top quality teaching for Britain.

ok so stop trying to convince everyone that you're better with you spurts of bull****
I'm pretty sure that she knows what she's on about you know? Being a BTEC student after all... You? You haven't even done your GCSE's -;- so wow.....
Maybe if you actually study and stop arguing with someone who has asked a simple question about a BTEC which.. You aren't even interested in then maybe you would get those A grades you wanted?
By the way it's more or less impossible to get A's in everything... Don't get ahead of yourself :smile:
1) Exam pressure is real on A-Level students, there a difference in A-Level and BTE students... A-Level students have high stress in early life, but relaxed when around 40 years old. BTEC have relaxed early life, but stressful when around 40 years old on money wise and keeping up with work even though they are getting older.
2) When you say alright GCSEs what were the grades?

1. I completely understand that A-level students have pressure with mock exams and revision too. BTEC students work hard as well, we have constant deadlines for assignments.
2. My friend and I got a mixture of Bs and Cs (not amazeballs but we passed)

My friend and I actually just had this convo last week. Money isn't everything. As long as we have a decent job and can earn enough then we're fine
1) Exam pressure is real on A-Level students, there a difference in A-Level and BTE students... A-Level students have high stress in early life, but relaxed when around 40 years old. BTEC have relaxed early life, but stressful when around 40 years old on money wise and keeping up with work even though they are getting older.
2) When you say alright GCSEs what were the grades?

But you haven't even sat your GCSE's yet... And how doe you know that BTEC's aren't stressful?

A* in Art, B in English, B in Product Design, B in Spanish, C in Core Science, C in Additional Science, C in Maths and C in RE.
How did you know I was an alien!?

Because you seem to know nothing about the real world.
ok so stop trying to convince everyone that you're better with you spurts of bull****
I'm pretty sure that she knows what she's on about you know? Being a BTEC student after all... You? You haven't even done your GCSE's -;- so wow.....
Maybe if you actually study and stop arguing with someone who has asked a simple question about a BTEC which.. You aren't even interested in then maybe you would get those A grades you wanted?
By the way it's more or less impossible to get A's in everything... Don't get ahead of yourself :smile:

----
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
1. I completely understand that A-level students have pressure with mock exams and revision too. BTEC students work hard as well, we have constant deadlines for assignments.
2. My friend and I got a mixture of Bs and Cs (not amazeballs but we passed)

My friend and I actually just had this convo last week. Money isn't everything. As long as we have a decent job and can earn enough then we're fine

----
(edited 5 years ago)
Because you seem to know nothing about the real world.

----
(edited 5 years ago)
It sickens me how you BTEC students think of GCSE/A-Level so I came here and said for and against than you all hammered on me, so think twice before we think we're superior.

1) I've done both BTEC and GCSE and I can tell you GCSE people are less chavy all together.
2) To do A-Levels you need A/A*s I'm personally aiming for 5A*s but 2A*3A I'd still be happy as its just to enter A-Level.
3) A-Levels requirements for Cambridge is A*A*A so I need to aim very high and prepare for heavyload while understanding the 3 topics I have to do. Yea.. thats correct... THREE not just one with assignments from the internet or memory of pratical. :smile:

*Practical (learn to spell)
I do A-levels not BTEC
We have done our GCSE's and oh..
I thought you hadn't done your GCSE's yet? So how could you have done BTEC and GCSE? Make up your mind mate
And yeah you probably need to get some work done if you're aiming high! You'd probably want to get off the internet if you wanna get those grades!
Oh dear... Kids these days
*Practical (learn to spell)
I do A-levels not BTEC
We have done our GCSE's and oh..
I thought you hadn't done your GCSE's yet? So how could you have done BTEC and GCSE? Make up your mind mate
And yeah you probably need to get some work done if you're aiming high! You'd probably want to get off the internet if you wanna get those grades!
Oh dear... Kids these days

----
(edited 5 years ago)
Oh really? What don't I know? Say.

How to get a masters degree
How to actually apply to a uni
How crap Cambridge is...
How mortgages work
etc
I did BTEC route and not GCSE, ended up doing the wrong route and now doing self-study at a homeschool due to terrible area, getting A/A*s in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and English. Search up a failed school called " Isle of Sheppey Academy " and here a BTEC student I'd respect.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3785815&page=3&p=61408895#post61408895

Kids these days... and in academic route you don't study 24/7.

Funny lad I don't need to study :smile:

Homeschool? Terrible area? Are you brought up by snobs?
Lets see.. Homeschool... Cambridge uni... Up your own arse!
Wow!
Can I ask... do you have a job?
You're definitely not going to get anywhere if you're homeschooled because you wont have any experiences with real life people :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
How to get a masters degree
How to actually apply to a uni
How crap Cambridge is...
How mortgages work
etc

-----
(edited 5 years ago)
Q.1 How to get a masters degree
A: Go to a university, but I want to go to a university that makes people go " wow! " so I can compete against others in the career I want to go into, I want pride and be proud about it.

Q.2 How to actually apply to a university.
A: You need 3 references from people such as ex-teachers or current. All of your qualifications, work experience and interest.

Q.3 How crap Cambridge is...
A: Cambridge is a 3rd world-class university and #1 in United Kingdom.

Q.4 How mortgages work
A: You can get a first-time buyer discount on home and 5% deposit, or do the normal one at 10% deposit. However I'm going to be smart and go for modern decent flats with under 20% of wage for mortgage. I will then save up probably until the mortgage meets under 20% and the savings for the house to put the price down could take 10 years but worth it as I'll have more money to myself.

Mind the grammar issues, due to its night time and dyslexic kicks in as I can't be asked about grammar issues. Anymore questions I should know reply. Ta.

Awww thanks google :smile: :3
tl;dr
I too am dsylexic but i dont brag about it and use it as an excuse :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Funny lad I don't need to study :smile:

Homeschool? Terrible area? Are you brought up by snobs?
Lets see.. Homeschool... Cambridge uni... Up your own arse!
Wow!
Can I ask... do you have a job?
You're definitely not going to get anywhere if you're homeschooled because you wont have any experiences with real life people :redface:

----
(edited 5 years ago)
Awww thanks google :smile: :3
tl;dr
I too am dsylexic but i dont brag about it and use it as an excuse :smile:

---
(edited 5 years ago)
I went to a school in year 11, I wasn't the greatest child I was confused who I was etc, my past is a very.. unique background that I bet everyone be like, wow I didn't realise that. Such as I had sub-teachers in English ALL is KS3.
I don't have a job curretly, however when I begin A-Levels at a college this September coming I'd be stablized, found out who I am, what I want to be I will get a part-time job due to the fact that I lack in work experience and references. I've gone to volunteering centres however all they want is social carers for free! My nan said to keep away from that stuff of ill old people while I'm trying to switch myself within a 2 year span with NO ONE help. I could try my story but I don't think you really want to know.

Awwww I really feel for you
Wake up
I go to sleep for 9-10 hours so it doesn't affect me till past 8pm, I meant to have apple coloured paper over when typing/reading but I don't on TSR. I can't see the mistakes. I can write like.. and instead of them.

Go to bed then child
shhhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending