The Student Room Group

How important is it your partner be ambitious?

For me it's very important as I am myself very career-driven and motivated to provide as good as I can for myself, my current girlfriend and any potential family in the future. Intelligence is something I need in a partner but I could not be with somebody that just wasted away their potential.

What about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

I agree, don't want someone who isn't going anywhere.
Extremely important. I want him to be intelligent and as passionate about something as I am and strive to achieve his goals. It's one of the most attractive qualities a person can have in my opinion.
Well I need someone who has a passion or a goal and wants to achieve something in life. You want someone who brings out the best in you, I couldn't go out with someone who had no goals and wanted to live on the dole.
Reply 4
Not important, I am the ambitious one, I am the one who wants her to be my First Lady.
Yeah I'd say that ambition is important. I find that it's an attractive trait for someone to want better for themselves - and want to create a sound future for themselves and their family, and make a difference in the world. People who are laid back and don't plan to do much with their lives are generally less attractive, in my opinion anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Intelligence is obviously subjective, but I'd be very happy as long as they were passionate about doing something in life! :biggrin:
Fairly important. I wished I'd realised that sooner.
The guy has to be career driven and ambitious. Its crucial.
Original post by yasaminO_o
Extremely important. I want him to be intelligent and as passionate about something as I am and strive to achieve his goals. It's one of the most attractive qualities a person can have in my opinion.

definitely this

if they're not ambitious they're probably stupid and i can't be dealing with stupid people
In theory I would like someone to be ambitious, however in reality their ability to love, care & be loyal greatly out way their ambition.
I was actually going to ask this question today lol. I am happy with someone that is somewhat ambitious since I am currently in this boat. I wish I was more ambitious, but sadly this isn't the case for me.

I've met quite a few ambitious men lately that have great jobs, mortgages etc and sometimes I don't even want to mention my line of work. I tend to worry they might be put off or think less of me because of it. In other situations I don't mind telling people where I work because it is a job and I am working towards something better. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Do guys even care so much about their partners job title?
Original post by phunky_fresh
I was actually going to ask this question today lol. I am happy with someone that is somewhat ambitious since I am currently in this boat. I wish I was more ambitious, but sadly this isn't the case for me.

I've met quite a few ambitious men lately that have great jobs, mortgages etc and sometimes I don't even want to mention my line of work. I tend to worry they might be put off or think less of me because of it. In other situations I don't mind telling people where I work because it is a job and I am working towards something better. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

There is more to ambition than a job title. Ambition is all about trying to better yourself, it doesn't necessarily have to apply to jobs.
Reply 13

Dw darling lots of guys actually prefer the woman to have a job slightly below them, it's the whole 'women marry upwards' thing. The more competitive guys might like a challenge and go for the extreme ones, but these guys are seriously crazy so it's best to avoid them.

Personally, I think while having a girlfriend who is competitive and intelligent is important, i'm more concerned that she's classy and supportive of my ambitions :tongue: I like the whole idea of having a woman who's ambition is to help me rocket to No 10
Reply 14
It's one of the most important things to me. Just no more ambitious than myself otherwise it would make me look bad.
A balance. Too high strung would be a nightmare, but no drive would would result in you not getting the most out of life or having enough to talk about.
Drive doesn't matter too much to me, as long at that person is reasonably intelligent as to be able to discuss things and have things to talk about, and understand ones needs.
Ultimately I think that too much drive can be misguided - much more important things in life than arbitrary success.

What do you do?

If you're happy with what you're doing then that would be fine, but if you don't like it but just can't be bothered to try and improve your life then that would be really off putting.

I'm a support worker, and although its poor pay etc., I still enjoy it as a part time job whilst studying. I don't think anyone should ever view something as below them. A job is what you make of it.
Reply 17
one of the most important traits
I'd want him to be ambitious but I'm not too worried at this age about whether he's 100% clued up (he has to have an idea, though) on how he'll get from A to B because we all have our doubts, right?
Ambition is fine as long as she's not Lex Luthor psychopathic ambitious smh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending