The Student Room Group

Met a girl whilst on holiday in Australia....

I went out Australia for a month a few months back and whilst I was out there I met this girl... So we were like chatting and stuff, but as I was leaving to come home I think we both kinda realised that we loved each other were pretty in to one another, like really... Literally everyday we've been facetiming at silly times because of time difference.

I've been close to girls before but she just feels different and right and we care for each other a lot. Problem is, she's in Australia and I'm in Scotland and I don't have a clue how I can make this work.

I'd looked at going there for 2 years on a "Working Holiday" Visa and then applying for a "De Facto" partner visa, but obviously i don't want to be struggling to get a decent job out there if i do stay there, whereas i might be about to start a decent job here.

She said that she would come here, but the visas for her coming here unbelievably confusing and strict.

Just really lost, frustrated that because of where we are in the world we can't be together. Anybody else been here or know somebody that has and what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Hate to tell you, but it probably will never work.

Yes you can get a working holiday visa... it will take about 48 hours to come through and you can go. BUT... you will need money, a place to stay, you will need to find a job and that is just the start of it.

if you do really like her though and have money in place I would say just go for it... life is too short and you would never want any regrets
Reply 2
This is it though, i do have the money to go there. Our plan is i'd go out in June/July when i really had a lot of money saved up so i wasn't struggling and i'd get a job just to keep some money coming in, and we'd looked at houses too ect. So we have looked at it quite a bit

And regrets.....i know 10000000% i'd regret not going and at least trying to make it work. I guess its what makes me happier, her or a steady job here....

I mean if i went there and it worked out then it would be a dream, but its such a big risk
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JordieDAFC
This is it though, i do have the money to go there. Our plan is i'd go out in June/July when i really had a lot of money saved up so i wasn't struggling and i'd get a job just to keep some money coming in, and we'd looked at houses too ect. So we have looked at it quite a bit

And regrets.....i know 10000000% i'd regret not going and at least trying to make it work. I guess its what makes me happier, her or a steady job here....

I mean if i went there and it worked out then it would be a dream, but its such a big risk

Living in Australia is a dream for a lot of people anyway... Just go for it.. If it doesn't work out then you tried. Take it from someone who regrets alot. It's not nice
Reply 4
Its just getting a job out there if it does work out and i stay there. I don't want something that doesn't pay well, but its getting to the point where i might have to accept it'll be like that.....Unless i study when i go out there but its not cheap
Are you young? Guessing so...
No kids? Guessing so...
Just into work (ie not in a high powered job with contracts signed etc) guessing so...

If you don't go now (or soon ie June/July as you plan to) then you won't ever do it.

'It won't work out' is probably the worst advice in the world. You could meet 80 girls in Dumfermline (going by your DP mate) and none could work. She could be the one... Make sure you don't lose her in the meantime

You might have to accept a worse job for a bit...

Scotland will still be standing when you come back if it doesn't workout :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by JordieDAFC
Its just getting a job out there if it does work out and i stay there. I don't want something that doesn't pay well, but its getting to the point where i might have to accept it'll be like that.....Unless i study when i go out there but its not cheap

It's not an alien civilisation. You'll find the same jobs out there in Australia as we have here in the UK.
Gona need a pic of the wee lass before i can advise
Reply 8
Original post by Unistudent77
Are you young? Guessing so...
No kids? Guessing so...
Just into work (ie not in a high powered job with contracts signed etc) guessing so...

If you don't go now (or soon ie June/July as you plan to) then you won't ever do it.

'It won't work out' is probably the worst advice in the world. You could meet 80 girls in Dumfermline (going by your DP mate) and none could work. She could be the one... Make sure you don't lose her in the meantime

You might have to accept a worse job for a bit...

Scotland will still be standing when you come back if it doesn't workout :tongue:

I'm only 19 just now, so yeah im still free-ish
Thats it, i don't want to leave her and then never meet somebody as good as her, Dunfermline isn't a good place for talent so i'll pass on searching here ahah. I'm not gonna lose her in the meantime, that i'm almost certain of.

Original post by Alexion
It's not an alien civilisation. You'll find the same jobs out there in Australia as we have here in the UK.

Oh aye, i know that. From what i've seen/heard from my mate i was visiting its pretty easy to come by a job. Just over there i can't do an apprenticeship like i was planning to do here and i have to pay for further education if i did that. But yeah, not worried about getting a job, just one that will be secure.
[QUOTE=JordieDAFC;61741391]I'm only 19 just now, so yeah im still free-ish
Thats it, i don't want to leave her and then never meet somebody as good as her, Dunfermline isn't a good place for talent so i'll pass on searching here ahah. I'm not gonna lose her in the meantime, that i'm almost certain of.

Oh aye, i know that. From what i've seen/heard from my mate i was visiting its pretty easy to come by a job. Just over there i can't do an apprenticeship like i was planning to do here and i have to pay for further education if i did that. But yeah, not worried about getting a job, just one that will be secure.

You are completely free. I've just turned 20, if it were me... I'd go for it buddy.

I left your reply to the other guy as it seems to provide you with your answer. You already know the answer. You'll go over there in june/july (prepare fam et al in the mean-time) and go for it.
Good luck!
Reply 10
You are completely free. I've just turned 20, if it were me... I'd go for it buddy.

I left your reply to the other guy as it seems to provide you with your answer. You already know the answer. You'll go over there in june/july (prepare fam et al in the mean-time) and go for it.
Good luck!

Aye well, there's the next problem eh, getting the father on board! aha
[QUOTE=JordieDAFC;61742205]Aye well, there's the next problem eh, getting the father on board! aha

Yeah....
Well point 1:
F**k what anyone else thinks.

Point 2: Don't let anyone emotionally blackmail you

Point 3: probs should tell your friends too.

Obviously it will be hard for them to accept, that's ok.
My sister left to go to Australia (admittedly at 25/6 and for the lifestyle as opposed to a boy) and mum was very supportive. She made sure her opinion didn't effect my sister and stand in her way so to speak.
She loves it out there (5 years later)
Reply 12
Yeah....
Well point 1:
F**k what anyone else thinks.

Point 2: Don't let anyone emotionally blackmail you

Point 3: probs should tell your friends too.

Obviously it will be hard for them to accept, that's ok.
My sister left to go to Australia (admittedly at 25/6 and for the lifestyle as opposed to a boy) and mum was very supportive. She made sure her opinion didn't effect my sister and stand in her way so to speak.
She loves it out there (5 years later)

I mentioned it to my dad on Saturday that i had met somebody there and that was why i had said i wanted to go back. Said it wasn't something he thought i should do but if i wanted to he'd help but yeah. Different when it actually happens aha

The lifestyle out there is brilliant, the 1 month i was there was amazing. How did your sister go about moving there?
How long have you known her? Moving to the other side of the world is a pretty big deal
awww :love:
[QUOTE=JordieDAFC;61743525]I mentioned it to my dad on Saturday that i had met somebody there and that was why i had said i wanted to go back. Said it wasn't something he thought i should do but if i wanted to he'd help but yeah. Different when it actually happens aha

The lifestyle out there is brilliant, the 1 month i was there was amazing. How did your sister go about moving there?

Not a bad reaction from him tbh :smile:
He's allowed to be skeptical, i mean if i were a parent i'd be like wtf if my child thought they'd found 'the one' on the other side of the globe... But i'd eventually come round and support them 100%.

She just applied for a visa i think. My nana is Australian so that helped her get in i think initially. Not much though.

She applied for residency once she had her work sponser her. Unless your doing a job on Australia's 'wanted list' then you need to be sponsored by your work.

She has residency now and should get citizenship in 1/2 years. Takes 5 from when you apply i think...
LDR? Nah,I'm cool without one
Reply 17
Not a bad reaction from him tbh :smile:
He's allowed to be skeptical, i mean if i were a parent i'd be like wtf if my child thought they'd found 'the one' on the other side of the globe... But i'd eventually come round and support them 100%.

She just applied for a visa i think. My nana is Australian so that helped her get in i think initially. Not much though.

She applied for residency once she had her work sponser her. Unless your doing a job on Australia's 'wanted list' then you need to be sponsored by your work.

She has residency now and should get citizenship in 1/2 years. Takes 5 from when you apply i think...

Yeah, reckon that's what my dad would be like. Not agree with it but help make it happen.

Ah right, think it's waaaaay easier if you have a company sponsor you! Try and use my Scottish charm to get a company to sponsor me aha
[QUOTE=JordieDAFC;61747995]Yeah, reckon that's what my dad would be like. Not agree with it but help make it happen.

Ah right, think it's waaaaay easier if you have a company sponsor you! Try and use my Scottish charm to get a company to sponsor me aha

Yeah, well that's good enough. If you last 3, 6, 9, 12 months out there with her he'll come round to the idea more, he'll take you seriously. Tbh, you are an adult but without being patronising you're very young so he has very right to be skeptical. However, since i'm your age, i see it from your point of view and you must seize this oppourtunity. You'll only live in regret if you don't.

I wonder what your friends will think? Haha. They'll think you're mad.

Well, they didn't initially but once she got employed by them they had to sponser her if they wanted to keep her.
Aye, she used her Scottish charm to... Well my family is quite ballsy and bullish so she got herself in and (tbf, she tried to get the government to like let her stay given she was in employment but they said the company must pay) then after a few months explained the situation. So she was tactful how she played the game...
Reply 19
Yeah, well that's good enough. If you last 3, 6, 9, 12 months out there with her he'll come round to the idea more, he'll take you seriously. Tbh, you are an adult but without being patronising you're very young so he has very right to be skeptical. However, since i'm your age, i see it from your point of view and you must seize this oppourtunity. You'll only live in regret if you don't.

I wonder what your friends will think? Haha. They'll think you're mad.

Well, they didn't initially but once she got employed by them they had to sponser her if they wanted to keep her.
Aye, she used her Scottish charm to... Well my family is quite ballsy and bullish so she got herself in and (tbf, she tried to get the government to like let her stay given she was in employment but they said the company must pay) then after a few months explained the situation. So she was tactful how she played the game...

Not sure how my friends would see it, probably think it's a bit mad but hey, gotta do what you gotta do I guess :smile:

That's what I'd like to happen but it's probably a bit harder for me seeing as I've not gone to uni or anything. I suppose it's sometimes who you know if you go down that route. But nah, that's good for her like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending