The Student Room Group

resources used in primary schools

i have a university interview for a primary teaching course, and for one of the tasks i have to do a presentation for a resource and explain why i chose the resource, what the age range for it is, and how it can be used in the classroom to support children's learning.

However, i have no idea what resource to use. Any ideas?

this is the information the university gave to me about the task

"Group TaskThis task is designed to evaluate your creativity, time keeping and ability to remain calm and enthusiastic. Please bring an interesting resource that could be used in the classroom to support learning.In a group setting you will have 2 minutes to explain:

Why you chose the resource

Your chosen age range

How your resource could be used to engaged children and support learning

You can be as creative as you like with the resource but we do ask that it doesn’t take too much time to set up, does not require water and/or electricity and is easily transportable.Following your explanation, the other candidates in your group will be encouraged to discuss the resource with you so be prepared to answer further questions. Perhaps you could prepare for this by anticipating the kinds of questions they might ask."
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there - I came across this post thanks to a link from the 'unanswered threads' by the community team. I hope I can provide some info for you, which is purely from a personal standpoint (I work for a University which doesn't offer Education so I am not aware of the interview process etc.)
I do, however, have friends currently studying Primary Education so I know a little about the work they have been doing. You can find a wealth of resources, lesson plans etc. by doing a quick google search, but the ultimate question here is what do YOU want to choose? What age range are you most comfortable with firstly, and that will give you a bracket for the resources you should look at. Then think about what you want to teach them about - this can cover lots of topics and may be a question you are asked so worthwhile to think about. For younger children, the Elmer series is often used (because it covers topics like personality, diversity, acceptance etc.), or are you more comfortable with Geography, Science, Maths...? Pick what you want to teach them about, as you are likely going to be more confident with your reasons for choosing it if you really understand the topic. For the resources themselves, the stipulation is clear to keep it simple (pen and paper type things) so keep to that brief. Whilst there's lots of technologies out there, try to keep it simple and transportable like books or paper versions of materials rather than having fancy gadgets. Teachers have limited budgets for materials, so keep that in mind when selecting.
I hope this helps - as I said, I'm not aware of the interview process personally but this is my interpretation of the brief given. Best of luck!
Charlotte

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending