The Student Room Group

If a friend of your friend messaged you on Facebook, how would you respond?

I would like to find other people to go out with.

I have 9 friends. I 'm thinking of messaging friends of them to befriend them.

I'm thinking of saying:

"Hello, I am x, I am a friend of y. I like a, b, c, d and e. Do we have anything in common?"

How would you react if someone messaged you with that?

Should I state that I am messaging them to befriend them?
I find that a bit weird. Have you interacted with them before on Facebook?
Original post by Tiger Rag
I find that a bit weird. Have you interacted with them before on Facebook?

No, that's why I am messaging them, to try to befriend them.
Reply 3
I don't think there is anything wrong with the act of messaging them, but your message does sound awfully robotic! I'd try and make it sound a bit more friendly and less serious, as you don't want to spook them off already! Maybe something like this:

"Hi there X, I'm a friend of Y. I'm interested in meeting new people so I just thought I'd say hello. I'm a fan of D and E, what are you interested in? :smile: "
(edited 8 years ago)
Meh... unless you go and look through their Facebook page, like what music/films/Tv shows they like or have alook at what pages they liked and you can see that you have stuff in common that you can bring up to them, I wouldnt just message people randomly, just because they are friends or your friend doesnt mean you have anything in common with them and most people go on FB to converse with their friends, not to get to know new people, its not a chat site. Chances are if you message them they really wont give a crap about you, sorry.
I'd be careful about how you come across because if the friends of your current (9) friends tell your actual friends you might end up reducing the number of your current friends to 0.
Reply 6
I would be creeped out if someone mailed me like that, even if we had mutual friends in common. Its better to strike up a convo with them in person first and then add them on FB. Talking to them on FB first without having met or spoke to them in real life just comes across as a bit stalker like and creepy in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
It's weird, sorry
I'd ignore messages like these. I once had someone message me and we'd talked a few minutes before (on a friends status) which was fine. But I would not add someone who sent me a message like that.
No I wouldn't.
Reply 10
Original post by Ostrich
I don't think there is anything wrong with the act of messaging them, but your message does sound awfully robotic! I'd try and make it sound a bit more friendly and less serious, as you don't want to spook them off already! Maybe something like this:

"Hi there X, I'm a friend of Y. I'm interested in meeting new people so I just thought I'd say hello. I'm a fan of D and E, what are you interested in? :smile: "

That's still really weird.
Original post by Sae.HH
That's still really weird.

It really is.

Hi though, I'm James.
I'd think that's really weird and mention it to my friend
Reply 13
just message simply 'hey'
Original post by mkap
just message simply 'hey'

that's a 100% certain strategy if you want to be ignored...:smile:
Reply 15
Big no , you will probably also lose your friend after they find out you are a creep. Chatting on a group post started by your friend and mentioning something sure that's fine, directly messaging them I think that's weird.

I think you are also forgetting that social interaction is not just about words on a screen, people really have to know you face to face and once you get on with someone face to face you can say that you have entered their lives through their permission, their is a mutual acceptance. A message on Facebook is like barging in to someone's private space, potentially scarying them.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending