The Student Room Group

Friendship breakups :(

So I (18f) am on a gap year at the moment, mostly self-studying at home whilst the vast majority of my close friends are living out at uni. This means that I'm still in my home town whilst my friends are all over the country, so obviously we don't see each other much anymore since we're no longer at school/sixth form together everyday and most of them only come back to our hometown for the holidays every few months. As well as this, I'm no longer on any social media platforms - I strictly use text/WhatsApp to communicate with people now so understandably the frequency with which many of my friends talk to me has reduced. Having said that, whilst I do talk to many of my friends a lot less than before, it's still a reasonable amount and I don't feel as if our friendship is breaking down or that we're drifting apart - we'll send each other random things when something reminds us of the other person, or videocall for a couple hours when we both have the time, or even just send a quick text to let the other person know we're thinking of them and ask them how they're doing, etc.

However, there is one friend of mine who is honestly making almost no effort whatsoever to maintain our friendship, which strikes me as quite odd since (at the risk of sounding like a 5yo), we were literally best friends before. We were friends during GCSEs and got even closer in sixth form, to the point where in Yr13 we had no lessons or frees together yet we would both still make a HUGE effort to see and spend time with each other as much as possible. We were so close that everyone in our friendship circles knew that most Thursday lunches were reserved for us to go out for lunch and spend time solely with each other (which we would jokingly call our 'weekly dates') and a few of my friends even seemed mildly jealous of my friendship with her. We were also quite similar in personalities and had matching tastes/interests and we were both very physically affectionate as well so our friendship was really something special, at least in my eyes. But now everything seems to have changed and I'm not sure what caused it or how to move on. We tried to make plans to see each other a couple times last year but none of them ever worked out so I haven't actually seen her since we left sixth form - but I've seen almost all my other close friends, multiple times. Since then, she has also stopped responding to my messages except for once a month and the last time she messaged me a while ago she made a comment about how her lack of replies was completely her fault and that she wouldn't let our friendship end and asked if we could meet up over Easter to which I of course replied yes, but since then I haven't heard from her once in months, and I've messaged her many times since. Whenever I tried to call her, she never picked up or called me back - not even a text. It just feels so weird because I don't understand what went wrong between us. And if there's nothing wrong, how busy does someone get where they don't have time to text their best friend even once in months? Not even to tell me that she's busy and can't reply properly for a while? She even made a playlist for the two of us last summer which I've been listening to on repeat these last few days because I just miss her so much, but I'm also annoyed with her for just forgetting about me, like our friendship meant nothing to her.

If you read this far, I apologise that this was so long and rambley lol, I think I just needed to vent tbh but if anyone has any tips to get over a best friend breakup, or any words of advice at all really, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.
Reply 1
similar situation with me and my old best friend, but i'm the one who hardly responds. like you said, we used to be very close from year 8 to year 11 and moved schools for sixth form. im in year 13 rn and we've met up like 3 times over the past two years and the thing is, its not that i want to ignore but she constantly calls me like every other day and i've explained to her multiple times that i don't have time to call and that its just easier if she texts me instead but she doesnt really get it. i'm sure your friend doesn't have bad intentions but just needs to figure out a suitable time to meet/call
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I (18f) am on a gap year at the moment, mostly self-studying at home whilst the vast majority of my close friends are living out at uni. This means that I'm still in my home town whilst my friends are all over the country, so obviously we don't see each other much anymore since we're no longer at school/sixth form together everyday and most of them only come back to our hometown for the holidays every few months. As well as this, I'm no longer on any social media platforms - I strictly use text/WhatsApp to communicate with people now so understandably the frequency with which many of my friends talk to me has reduced. Having said that, whilst I do talk to many of my friends a lot less than before, it's still a reasonable amount and I don't feel as if our friendship is breaking down or that we're drifting apart - we'll send each other random things when something reminds us of the other person, or videocall for a couple hours when we both have the time, or even just send a quick text to let the other person know we're thinking of them and ask them how they're doing, etc.

However, there is one friend of mine who is honestly making almost no effort whatsoever to maintain our friendship, which strikes me as quite odd since (at the risk of sounding like a 5yo), we were literally best friends before. We were friends during GCSEs and got even closer in sixth form, to the point where in Yr13 we had no lessons or frees together yet we would both still make a HUGE effort to see and spend time with each other as much as possible. We were so close that everyone in our friendship circles knew that most Thursday lunches were reserved for us to go out for lunch and spend time solely with each other (which we would jokingly call our 'weekly dates') and a few of my friends even seemed mildly jealous of my friendship with her. We were also quite similar in personalities and had matching tastes/interests and we were both very physically affectionate as well so our friendship was really something special, at least in my eyes. But now everything seems to have changed and I'm not sure what caused it or how to move on. We tried to make plans to see each other a couple times last year but none of them ever worked out so I haven't actually seen her since we left sixth form - but I've seen almost all my other close friends, multiple times. Since then, she has also stopped responding to my messages except for once a month and the last time she messaged me a while ago she made a comment about how her lack of replies was completely her fault and that she wouldn't let our friendship end and asked if we could meet up over Easter to which I of course replied yes, but since then I haven't heard from her once in months, and I've messaged her many times since. Whenever I tried to call her, she never picked up or called me back - not even a text. It just feels so weird because I don't understand what went wrong between us. And if there's nothing wrong, how busy does someone get where they don't have time to text their best friend even once in months? Not even to tell me that she's busy and can't reply properly for a while? She even made a playlist for the two of us last summer which I've been listening to on repeat these last few days because I just miss her so much, but I'm also annoyed with her for just forgetting about me, like our friendship meant nothing to her.

If you read this far, I apologise that this was so long and rambley lol, I think I just needed to vent tbh but if anyone has any tips to get over a best friend breakup, or any words of advice at all really, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Edit: I forgot to mention this before but what with her complete lack of responses, I've decided I'm no longer going to randomly message her at all really as there's no point since she doesn't open my messages anymore anyways. Having said that, her birthday is coming up soon and I'm not sure if I should hit her up, even with a simple birthday message. If I do and she really doesn't want to talk to me anymore for whatever reason, it might come across as me clinging desperately onto a friendship that no longer exists. But if I don't and she really is just being a bad replier and nothing more, then she might feel upset that I didn't bother to wish her a happy birthday and think that I don't value our friendship. She most likely wouldn't even open any happy birthday message I send until months after the fact though, if I'm being honest.

I'm also unsure how to react if she does finally message me back after all this time - I know I would be annoyed at her, so much so that I might leave her on read for a while before I say something harsh about how she doesn't seem to care for me, but at the same time, I love her so much I might forget all my self-respect and just respond instantly to whatever she says. It's just so frustrating because we used to always be there for each other: I was there for her when she broke up with her secret boyfriend only I and one other friend knew about, and when she confided in me about her personal issues and insecurities, whilst she was there for me when I needed to vent about my own issues and let me sleep in her lap when I was so mentally drained and had no energy for anything, plus so much more. We have so much history and fun memories together, the last time she spoke to me she actually told me she had printed a picture of us from the last time we went out together and put it up on her wall in her uni room which makes me lean more towards the whole 'she's probably just bad at replying' but again, how hard is it to text your bestfriend once in months?? And even if that is just the case, it's been so long since we've talked properly it just feels like we both will have changed in ways that neither of us would be used to so our friendship will probably not survive in the end, which makes me really upset because no one has made me feel as truly seen and loved as much as her, even at my worst. We were practically platonic soulmates/twin flames and it just feels so wrong that we could lose that just because she moved to uni :frown:

Again, apologies for the long ramble, I just have to get this out my system, I suppose.
Reply 3
Original post by elinaa-1
similar situation with me and my old best friend, but i'm the one who hardly responds. like you said, we used to be very close from year 8 to year 11 and moved schools for sixth form. im in year 13 rn and we've met up like 3 times over the past two years and the thing is, its not that i want to ignore but she constantly calls me like every other day and i've explained to her multiple times that i don't have time to call and that its just easier if she texts me instead but she doesnt really get it. i'm sure your friend doesn't have bad intentions but just needs to figure out a suitable time to meet/call

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

See thing is though in your situation your friend was constantly calling you and you asked her to text instead since you don't have the time to call, which is completely understandable and you communicated yourself to her instead of just ignoring her calls and leaving her wondering, so now it's up to her to respect that. But in my situation, my friend would be the one to text me and ask to vidcall, only to not pick up when I try. I wouldn't even mind the once-in-a-month replies if she just told me she wouldn't be able yo text more often, but she hasn't. And no response to any of my texts in months?? It just doesn't add up, especially since we have mutual friends who she apparently still meets up and talks with? I don't understand what it could possibly be ://
Reply 4
Your situation reminded me of my best friend from school. We were best friends all 11th and 12th grade but once school was over we disappeared for each other. I changed phones at some point and I don't have social media (only the work account). I tried to contact her a few times but she wasn't available. At first I thought she was just ignoring me and doesn't want any contact with me. I was a depressed child needing a friend to rely on and often not seeing other people's needs, despite being a very good friend if I saw a problem or if I knew a person needs help. Looking back on how I was back than I can understand if someone just wanted to leave me to deal with their own adult life. These two years I sort of used her for support, so it was not a really equal friendship... although it started when I helped her with her ED recovery... it was a complicated relationship and she might just want to start a new life without anything reminding her of her past. No one knows....
The one thing I regret is not being strong enough to change an approach a bit and ask her directly if everything is alright with her and if she needed a friend....

Maybe your friend is having a hard time and for some reason doesn't want you to worry, or just because you are too far a part it is hard to ask for support. Ask her directly, or even offer you visit her if it is possible. Maybe she tries to signal you that she cares about your friendship but just can't find a time/powers for it for some reason...
Reply 5
Original post by Kathy89
Your situation reminded me of my best friend from school. We were best friends all 11th and 12th grade but once school was over we disappeared for each other. I changed phones at some point and I don't have social media (only the work account). I tried to contact her a few times but she wasn't available. At first I thought she was just ignoring me and doesn't want any contact with me. I was a depressed child needing a friend to rely on and often not seeing other people's needs, despite being a very good friend if I saw a problem or if I knew a person needs help. Looking back on how I was back than I can understand if someone just wanted to leave me to deal with their own adult life. These two years I sort of used her for support, so it was not a really equal friendship... although it started when I helped her with her ED recovery... it was a complicated relationship and she might just want to start a new life without anything reminding her of her past. No one knows....
The one thing I regret is not being strong enough to change an approach a bit and ask her directly if everything is alright with her and if she needed a friend....

Maybe your friend is having a hard time and for some reason doesn't want you to worry, or just because you are too far a part it is hard to ask for support. Ask her directly, or even offer you visit her if it is possible. Maybe she tries to signal you that she cares about your friendship but just can't find a time/powers for it for some reason...

I'm sorry you lost your friend, that must suck a lot :frown:

With my friend, we did support each other with our problems but it wasn't to an overwhelming extent. We mostly just chatted about everything and had fun. I'm not in a position to be able to visit her at the moment and she probably has exams coming up soon anyway, but having said that, after reading your post I did reach out to her again to ask if she's doing okay since it's been so long since I last heard from her, and just letting her know that I'm here for her if she wants to talk about anything. I hope she responds this time but if not then I guess I won't message her again until her birthday and see how things are from there. ://
Reply 6
Just wanted to come on here and update because I can't really vent to anyone in real life soo yeah.

My friend's birthday came and went and I did end up texting her but just a quick 'happy birthday girl' late at night and surprise, surprise, she came onto the chat instantly. I then turned my phone off because I didn't want to reply instantly. The next day I read the messages she sent (without actually opening them tho) and they were along the lines of 'Omg I'm so sorry, I love you so much (My Name), I really hope you're doing okay, can we call, it's been so long I feel so bad, I'm really shocked you still put up with me' etc etc. However, she didn't respond to a single one of the previous messages I sent her since she last bothered to message me.

I then left her on delivered for a week but posted something random on my story pretty much every day until I saw she saw it because I'm petty lol. After that I did reply but my responses were mostly quite dead e.g. 'i don't have time to call you tbh and besides you never pick up or call me back anyways', 'yeah you should be sorry, it was literally 3 months like damn did i not cross your mind even once in that time' plus this song that has significance to us both (because i always send it to her when i'm annoyed with her lol) but i did also send a couple more chill messages too.

I realise in hindsight that my messages probably come across quite petty/passive-aggressive but at this point I'm not sure if I care. Like I've said it before but I'll say it again: how hard is it to message your so-called 'best friend' ONCE in months when she knows I know there's nothing up with her? I'm literally close with her sister and her close friends as well and I know she's not only been in frequent contact with them but also meeting up with all of them but not me, but she claims to 'love' me! It doesn't make any sense at all. I thought what we had was just as special to her as it was to me but clearly I'm a lot more forgettable than I thought :// At the same time though, I'm scared to upset her because I don't want to lose her for good, but in a sense haven't I already lost her since our relationship hasn't been the same for about a year now? I don't want to burn my bridges too soon but I also don't want to seem super desperate for her attention when she clearly doesn't give much of a 💩 about me.

P.S. It's okay if no one reads this, I just want peace.
Reply 7
Just wanted to come on here and update because I can't really vent to anyone in real life soo yeah.

My friend's birthday came and went and I did end up texting her but just a quick 'happy birthday girl' late at night and surprise, surprise, she came onto the chat instantly. I then turned my phone off because I didn't want to reply instantly. The next day I read the messages she sent (without actually opening them tho) and they were along the lines of 'Omg I'm so sorry, I love you so much (My Name), I really hope you're doing okay, can we call, it's been so long I feel so bad, I'm really shocked you still put up with me' etc etc. However, she didn't respond to a single one of the previous messages I sent her since she last bothered to message me.

I then left her on delivered for a week but posted something random on my story pretty much every day until I saw she saw it because I'm petty lol. After that I did reply but my responses were mostly quite dead e.g. 'i don't have time to call you tbh and besides you never pick up or call me back anyways', 'yeah you should be sorry, it was literally 3 months like damn did i not cross your mind even once in that time' plus this song that has significance to us both (because i always send it to her when i'm annoyed with her lol) but i did also send a couple more chill messages too.

I realise in hindsight that my messages probably come across quite petty/passive-aggressive but at this point I'm not sure if I care. Like I've said it before but I'll say it again: how hard is it to message your so-called 'best friend' ONCE in months when she knows I know there's nothing up with her? I'm literally close with her sister and her close friends as well and I know she's not only been in frequent contact with them but also meeting up with all of them but not me, but she claims to 'love' me! It doesn't make any sense at all. I thought what we had was just as special to her as it was to me but clearly I'm a lot more forgettable than I thought :// At the same time though, I'm scared to upset her because I don't want to lose her for good, but in a sense haven't I already lost her since our relationship hasn't been the same for about a year now? I don't want to burn my bridges too soon but I also don't want to seem super desperate for her attention when she clearly doesn't give much of a 💩 about me.

P.S. It's okay if no one reads this, I just want peace.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Parting like that is not easy, but in the end everyone is different and some paths are meant to separate.
It is also very hard to not be in an equal relationship.
On the other hand she may still want to be your good friend and still be with you but you may require too much energy. I'm sorry, I don't know you both but it might be an option to consider. Some people require a lot of mental energy to be with, I'm like that when I'm down, I drain energy from people around me, especially close ones, not everyone can handle this. I spoke to some fries about it, my ex, who is a good friend of mine now said that too. It is also very hard to admit to a friend they drain too much energy, some even drain more in a distant relationship. It is hard to explain and may be hurtful so the easier way is not responding when you don't have enough energy. She may really want to be your friend but can't handle you right now. Situations like these are hard for both sides.
Sorry if it hurts you, but it might be a reason.

*hugs*
You can PM me if you want.
Reply 8
A wise person once said to me that if you make friends with people at school you tend to keep them as friends out of habit; you wouldn't necessarily be friends with them if you first met as adults.

Maybe she's just matured and decided to go in a new direction and made other friends with other interests, or thinks you may not appreciate or understand or even want to hear about her uni experience whilst you are home. Maybe reach out to her sister and see if there is anything going on in the background?
Reply 9
Original post by Kathy89
I'm sorry you feel that way. Parting like that is not easy, but in the end everyone is different and some paths are meant to separate.
It is also very hard to not be in an equal relationship.
On the other hand she may still want to be your good friend and still be with you but you may require too much energy. I'm sorry, I don't know you both but it might be an option to consider. Some people require a lot of mental energy to be with, I'm like that when I'm down, I drain energy from people around me, especially close ones, not everyone can handle this. I spoke to some fries about it, my ex, who is a good friend of mine now said that too. It is also very hard to admit to a friend they drain too much energy, some even drain more in a distant relationship. It is hard to explain and may be hurtful so the easier way is not responding when you don't have enough energy. She may really want to be your friend but can't handle you right now. Situations like these are hard for both sides.
Sorry if it hurts you, but it might be a reason.

*hugs*
You can PM me if you want.

I suppose that could explain it but our friendship has pretty much always been nothing but good vibes and I've been told by many people that I bring great energy when I'm around, not that I drain them :// And the last time I spoke with this friend everything was fine, we were having a very chill convo about random things like her new nails, sports and Rihanna so I really don't think that's the case.

I think it is more of an issue where she is just 'lazy' or 'careless' with responding to me. So it's confusing, her words make it sound like she still cares and wants to be friends but her actions say otherwise. I do still want her in my life but I don't want to just 'let it slide'. But at the same time, I am still pretty upset with her lack of effort and the fact that this has been such a one-sided relationship for so long that I'm not sure if I do want to make an effort anymore. Idk what to do at all. :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
A wise person once said to me that if you make friends with people at school you tend to keep them as friends out of habit; you wouldn't necessarily be friends with them if you first met as adults.

Maybe she's just matured and decided to go in a new direction and made other friends with other interests, or thinks you may not appreciate or understand or even want to hear about her uni experience whilst you are home. Maybe reach out to her sister and see if there is anything going on in the background?

Yeah, I've heard things like that too but this really didn't feel like one of those 'proximity' friendships, it felt so much deeper and real.

If she has matured and moved on I would understand that but it just doesn't make any sense that she wouldn't even let me know or let me down slowly or whatever. It just kinda feels like a weird relationship at this point, like she 'feeds me crumbs' every so often and then disappears on me again for months at a time. I have actually spoken to her sister and our mutual friends about it a couple times and according to them there is nothing up that they know of and besides, she would always confide in me over everyone else, including her own sister. So I'm very confused about the whole situation - her words say she loves and cares about me but her actions say otherwise sooo idk what to do tbh ://
Reply 11
I suppose that could explain it but our friendship has pretty much always been nothing but good vibes and I've been told by many people that I bring great energy when I'm around, not that I drain them :// And the last time I spoke with this friend everything was fine, we were having a very chill convo about random things like her new nails, sports and Rihanna so I really don't think that's the case.

I think it is more of an issue where she is just 'lazy' or 'careless' with responding to me. So it's confusing, her words make it sound like she still cares and wants to be friends but her actions say otherwise. I do still want her in my life but I don't want to just 'let it slide'. But at the same time, I am still pretty upset with her lack of effort and the fact that this has been such a one-sided relationship for so long that I'm not sure if I do want to make an effort anymore. Idk what to do at all. :frown:

*hugs*
So maybe say that to her. Tell her how you feel, tell her that this relationship is important to you but you feel you are loosing it. See how she reacts. Maybe a last effort....
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kathy89
*hugs*
So maybe say that to her. Tell her how you feel, tell her that this relationship is important to you but you feel you are loosing it. See how she reacts. Maybe a last effort....

Yeah, I think I'll try calling her and talking to her baout it properly (if she picks up that is 😭). Hopefully it goes well, I'll come back on here to update

Thanks for your replies btw :smile:
Reply 13
Update: I called her and she actually picked up!! We spoke about the issue mentioned above and I told her how I've been feeling and she assured me that she was just being a bad replier since she only uses Snapchat but she turned her Whatsapp notifications on for me and gave me a custom notification sound as well :smile: We then ended up talking for about 3hrs and even made a new playlist whilst on the phone together.

I still don't think our friendship is just magically 'fixed' and back to what it used to be but I'm hopeful that she will put more effort in going forwards and that we can go back to what we were.

To everyone who replied to this thread, thank you. I may have just given up on her and not made that last attempt at calling her if it weren't for you which would have been a massive shame since I would have lost a dear friend to my own insecurities and pettiness.

And to anyone else who is in a similar position and reading this - reach out to that person, just one more time. Call them until they pick up and then actually talk to them. Tell them how you feel in a civil manner and then make up because life is way too short to stay mad at the people you love. Give them another chance and give yourself the peace of mind and happiness you deserve. Trust me.
Reply 14
Update: I called her and she actually picked up!! We spoke about the issue mentioned above and I told her how I've been feeling and she assured me that she was just being a bad replier since she only uses Snapchat but she turned her Whatsapp notifications on for me and gave me a custom notification sound as well :smile: We then ended up talking for about 3hrs and even made a new playlist whilst on the phone together.

I still don't think our friendship is just magically 'fixed' and back to what it used to be but I'm hopeful that she will put more effort in going forwards and that we can go back to what we were.

To everyone who replied to this thread, thank you. I may have just given up on her and not made that last attempt at calling her if it weren't for you which would have been a massive shame since I would have lost a dear friend to my own insecurities and pettiness.

And to anyone else who is in a similar position and reading this - reach out to that person, just one more time. Call them until they pick up and then actually talk to them. Tell them how you feel in a civil manner and then make up because life is way too short to stay mad at the people you love. Give them another chance and give yourself the peace of mind and happiness you deserve. Trust me.

I'm so happy to hear that!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending