The Student Room Group

Munchies - A Guide to Eating Like a Student

Hi guys, and a big welcome to my new blog, Munchies. Here you can expect to find the best of cooking on a tight budget (or at least the best I can come up with) with the limited resources, poor quality cooking facilities and interfering flatmates that students are used to.

You can expect frequent updates; with new recipes bi-weekly, starting tomorrow. I'm also happy to take any questions you may have!

If you're struggling with what to eat with limited ingredients, post them below and quote me in; I'll do my best to come up with something for you!

THB

RECIPES

Bolognese With A Bite - Post 13, p1.
Breakfast With THB Post 26, p2.
Drunk Pasta - Post 16, p1.
Korean Pork Belly - Post 17, p1.
Pan Fried AsparagusPost 27, p2.
A Guide to Baking Fish - Post 20, p1.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds fab :smile:

What's your favourite meal to make on a budget?
Watching this thread :biggrin: Sounds awesome
Original post by She-Ra
Sounds fab :smile:

What's your favourite meal to make on a budget?

It varies dependant on the seasons; for winter it's got to be bolognese (with a bite); I like to use lamb mince (it's a bit richer), fresh basil, parsley and thyme (which are cheap if you know where to look) and give it the 'bite' with a bit for fresh chilli and plenty of garlic.

When it's a bit warmer out, I prefer to go for a lighter option; sticking with the theme of pasta, I came up with a dish a while ago (worked rather well I must say) that involved cooking king prawns (or shrimp; whatever's cheapest; they're £2 a bag from our campus grocery store and do three dishes worth), sliced chilli, parsley and garlic in white wine (it was left over from pre-drinks so I was in luck as one of my flatmates didn't want it) until it's reduced (should make a fairly liquid sauce) and then throwing in some spaghetti (fresh is better, of course always season your pasta water with a few pinches of salt), give it two minutes to take up the flavour, toss it all together and serve immediately :smile:
Original post by thehistorybore
Hi guys, and a big welcome to my new blog, Munchies. Here you can expect to find the best of cooking on a tight budget (or at least the best I can come up with) with the limited resources, poor quality cooking facilities and interfering flatmates that students are used to.

You can expect frequent updates; with new recipes bi-weekly, starting tomorrow. I'm also happy to take any questions you may have!

If you're struggling with what to eat with limited ingredients, post them below and quote me in; I'll do my best to come up with something for you!

THB

Spoiler

Half a can of sour cream & onion pringles, unopened packet of maynard wine gums, bottle of ketchup and half a carton of red top milk?
Original post by Use Err Name
Half a can of sour cream & onion pringles, unopened packet of maynard wine gums, bottle of ketchup and half a carton of red top milk?

It isn't how you have to eat!
Original post by Use Err Name

Tbh that sounds pretty tasty
I've been making the same batch of food for a few weeks (mince, chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, peas, sweetcorn, watercress, with black pepper and chilli flakes etc. to season) and put it with pasta or rice with some cheese. It works out really cheap as it does me about 4 meals at a time but it's basically all I eat for dinner now, so I'm going to change things up a bit because I'm getting sick of it.

So my thing would be, do batches to save money and time, but mix things up a little :lol:
I like food. I suspect this will make me very happy!
Ok first update may be today or tomorrow XD
BOLOGNESE WITH A BITE!
So, the first recipe is for a traditional studentdish, although I like to switch it up a bit to make it rather more flavorsomethan usual. So here it is; THB’s Bolognese with a bite.

What you’ll need;
-500g lamb mince.
-One small handful each of parsley, basil, thyme and rosemary, roughly chopped (you can used dried mixed herbs if you’re a lazybugger).
-One jar of passata (~700ml).
-One fresh chilli, finely sliced (doesn’t matterwhat type you use, but the dish is meant to be warming, not spicy, so taste it first to see that it isn’t ridiculously hot).
-Lea & Perrins, about three spoonfulls.
-One onion, roughly chopped.
-Punnet of mushrooms (any type, although Iprefer chestnut mushrooms
-Three cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
-Salt.
-Pepper.

Here’s what you do; Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oilin a pan on high heat; add the garlic and onion and brown off. Then add thelamb, break it up in the pan and cook until lightly browned (add more oil if itstarts to stick). Then add your passata, all of your dry ingredients (chilliincluded) and the Lea & Perrins. Reduce the heat and simmer for forty minutes,add water if it becomes over-reduced. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serving; serve it how you like, butpersonally I like to serve it with pasta and fresh washed spinach.

Cost; probably no more than £2 per serving; one batch of this normally does me for threedays!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
this is an AWESOME idea :O
Original post by z33
this is an AWESOME idea :O

Thank you!
DRUNK PASTA

No one loves pasta more than students, it's cheap and a good base for most dishes. However, after watching my flatmates reach for the Dolmio one time too many I thought I'd post this recipe that I usually make after a long night out. Disclaimer; drink responsibly (and if you do choose to make this drunk, please be careful with the knife!)

What you'll need;
-Tagliatelle; however much you want to eat.
-Mushrooms; recommend chestnut because they're delicious, half a punnet, sliced.
-Parmesan; about 30g, but I usually approximate it (if you like cheese, add more), grated.
-Parsley; a handful, finely chopped.
-Parma ham; three slices (or more if you want), sliced up.
-Creme fraiche; about half a pot. Use full fat; it's nicer IMO.
-Pepper
-Salt

What you'll do;

Cook your pasta until al dente*; season your water with salt (about 10g per litre) because it's how the Italians do it and the flavour difference is noticeable - if you're on a low sodium diet for some reason, you're no fun. Meanwhile fry off your mushrooms in a frying pan on a high heat with about a tablespoon of olive oil (obviously heat the oil first) for about three or four minutes. Just before the pasta is cooked, add the parma ham to the pan and then reduce the pan to a low-medium heat.. When your pasta is cooked, drain it, and add it to the pan. Leave it to rest for about twenty seconds tot make up the parma ham flavour, and then add the parmesan, creme fraiche and parsley, stirring it all in meanwhile. Serve immediately, with black pepper on top to taste. Delicious.

*Giving slight resistance to the bite.
KOREAN PORK BELLY

It's delicious, it's oriental, it's easy, and it's relatively inexpensive. Enjoy.

What you'll need;

For the Pork
-200g Pork Belly
-One diced onion

For the Sauce
-1 tsp Korean Pepper paste (I've found it in most supermarkets)
-1 tsp Korean Pepper flakes (")
-1 tsp soy sauce
-2 tsp sugar
-One garlic clove; finely chopped (or you can use paste if you're lazy)
-1 tsp sesame oil

What you'll do;

Dice the pork. Chuck your sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the two together with the onion and leave to marinate for at least thirty minutes (I ended up getting pizza half way through doing this once and left it overnight; tasted even better than usual when I made it the next day - the longer you leave it (within reason; not months) the better it will be!). Heat some olive oil in a pan and then fry the pork until cooked through. Serve immediately, or freeze it, or refrigerate it. Hell, it's your life, do what you want. Delicious!

N.B

I serve this with white rice usually, but I've done it on steamed spinach and that's equally delicious. You can also add veg various to the pork in the marinade (peppers, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts etc) if you want to bulk it out a bit!
This is fab! :smile:
Original post by cupcakes87
This is fab! :smile:

Thank you :3
BAKING FISH - THE GUIDE

Students are intimidated by fish; but in reality it's so simple! Over the coming few days, I'm going to assemble a guide of the varieties of cooking methods for all kinds of fish.

You can bake pretty much any fish, but as a rule of thumb, the fresher it is, the better it is. I'm lucky enough to live near a good (and pleasingly cheap) fishmonger, so this isn't difficult for me!

Let's take cod as an example (because, well, who doesn't like it); it bakes nicely and is widely available.

What you'll need;
-Salt
-Black pepper
-Olive oil
-Tin foil

Lay out a piece of tin foil of sufficient size to fold up and make a dome over the fish and lay it on a baking tray. Drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom of the foil, and spread it around (I use my fingers, why not?). Then, lay the fish on top. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top and crack some salt and black pepper over the top. Pull the foil over the top of the fish so it forms a nice loose parcel (like a dome!). Then, chuck it into an oven at 180 degrees (gasmark who knows - work it out yourself) for about twenty minutes, or until it flakes nicely. Then open the parcel up and leave for a further five minutes (the salt and pepper form a nice crust thus). Take it out and enjoy!

As I say, this works for almost all fish (tuna excepting - pan sear that thang!) and you can mix it up by adding further ingredients to the salt/pepper garnish (in the case of the cod, add a little lemon zest!).
In, I really want to follow this. One thing I'd add is that if you've got a slow cooker, bolognese sauce really does work out significantly better by way of that but you also tend to need to make larger quantities which isn't great if you're short on freezer space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending