The Student Room Group

Bryony's Path to University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BryonyG98
Update 2 - Tuesday 26th February

Well I have some great news! I got an offer from Loughborough, AAB. I'm still waiting to hear from Bath :smile:

Today I did a C1 past paper, achieving 75/75 can't remember which paper it was though. I think it was June 2007. I can now easily do a C1 paper in 50 minutes so i can mark it in the last 10 minutes of the lesson and ask any questions needed. I aim to be able to do this with each module although i think it will be unlikely for C4

I have been being productive in my frees; mainly writing up physics notes, I'm going to try and spread my time more evenly between chemistry and physics now. I have plenty of time in maths currently but if I start to struggle I will put more time in outside of the classroom.

Bryony (:

Congrats on the offer, Bryony :biggrin:

If you have any questions at all just give us a shout.

Amy
Reply 21
Original post by Loughborough University
Congrats on the offer, Bryony :biggrin:

If you have any questions at all just give us a shout.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Thank you! At the moment I am just looking forward to having a look around the university on the applicant day! But if I have any questions I will be sure to ask (:
Hi Amy,

Thank you! At the moment I am just looking forward to having a look around the university on the applicant day! But if I have any questions I will be sure to ask (:

Great stuff :smile: Have fun at the applicant day!

Amy
Reply 23
Less Productive Than I Would've Liked

Friday 19th February

Today I went up to visit my nan so didn't get a lot of opportunity to do any revision. However I did get to do:
-C1 January 2005
I only got 70/75 which was quite disappointing. I have taken another tip from CSLady and have done a cover sheet for it showing me where I went wrong. One was a question on transforming graphs which is something I have always struggled with but the other question I should have got right. I stupidly missed a negative. I have added this into my sheet.

This evening I aim to do:
-C2 January 2005
-Physics notes on 3 more topics

I will edit this later to show what I have done

Tomorrow I am away in London all day so will have little/no opportunity to revise. I might print off one or 2 C1 papers to do on the train as then I don't need to take a calculator which would be an added bonus.

This afternoon I have also had to update my records for Girl Guiding as that is who I am going with tomorrow and we are having a small meeting on the way up so I have to make sure everything is up to date.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
A Knock In Confidence

Sunday 21st February

Okay so I have taken a bit of a knock in my confidence and in all honesty I don't know why. I have a tendency to post what I have done and what I plan to do later and then not do it so that is going to change. From now on I will post between 7 and 9 am with what I aim to do that day and then between 9 and 10 pm with what I have done (providing I remember). Therefore there should be at least 2 posts per day (and me replying to comments during my study breaks). I hope that this will help me a lot.

Plan for Today
-C2 January 2005 (which I failed to complete the other day)
-Physics notes on 3 topics (also from the other day)
-C1 June 2005

There is a possibility that I will not get more than this done as I think I have over estimated how long each piece of work will take me. I also have a ton of non work related stuff to do today.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
I keep doing the same although I'm tending to underestimate how long each task is going to take me. You seem to be doing a lot though so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
Do you have mock tests coming up? I'm just wondering why you're doing so many practice tests so early, (I've just realised that it isn't that long until exams... :s-smilie:) Anyway do you use past papers as revision? I have to admit that my strategy is based more on making notes, which I've just realised isn't great. Wow, this post is helping me to see where I'm going wrong.
Do you find doing past papers helpful and how do you make sure you don't redo the same paper? Also do you go through each question religiously? When I sometimes go through a past exam paper the night before an exam, I tend to make bullet points for each question. Do you try to write a 'real' and coherent answer for each question or do you just lay your knowledge on the page?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious to know if I'm going about my revision in entirely the wrong way. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Ara8311a
I keep doing the same although I'm tending to underestimate how long each task is going to take me. You seem to be doing a lot though so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
Do you have mock tests coming up? I'm just wondering why you're doing so many practice tests so early, (I've just realised that it isn't that long until exams... :s-smilie:) Anyway do you use past papers as revision? I have to admit that my strategy is based more on making notes, which I've just realised isn't great. Wow, this post is helping me to see where I'm going wrong.
Do you find doing past papers helpful and how do you make sure you don't redo the same paper? Also do you go through each question religiously? When I sometimes go through a past exam paper the night before an exam, I tend to make bullet points for each question. Do you try to write a 'real' and coherent answer for each question or do you just lay your knowledge on the page?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious to know if I'm going about my revision in entirely the wrong way. :smile:

Well the reason I am doing so many past papers for maths so early is because all of maths modules are retakes and so I have already covered all of the content. I do this in particular for maths as there are so many papers available and so I am unlikely to run out.

I tend to do all of questions in full as I find that in some subjects it is not necessarily a lack of knowledge it is not knowing how to write the answer that the examiner wants. I then mark the paper thoroughly and harshly and then use a tip from @CSLady and write a cover sheet for the paper showing all of the questions I got wrong and a model answer for that question. Then nearer the exams I will look over the cover sheets and redo all f the questions that I got wrong.

However, for my other subjects I am writing out all of my notes and condensing them before doing past papers. I have already done this for Chemistry Unit 2 and 4 and so I will be condensing them further and then doing past papers. Physics (all units) and Chemistry Unit 5 still need original notes made for them and so it will be a while before I do full Physics past papers however I am getting through the notes as quickly is possible.

But yes, I do find that past papers help with revision. They help me see where the gaps in my knowledge are and then correct them. It also helps me get used to the exam questions (exams are very repetitive) and know how to answer them in the way that is wanted.
Well the reason I am doing so many past papers for maths so early is because all of maths modules are retakes and so I have already covered all of the content. I do this in particular for maths as there are so many papers available and so I am unlikely to run out.

I tend to do all of questions in full as I find that in some subjects it is not necessarily a lack of knowledge it is not knowing how to write the answer that the examiner wants. I then mark the paper thoroughly and harshly and then use a tip from @CSLady and write a cover sheet for the paper showing all of the questions I got wrong and a model answer for that question. Then nearer the exams I will look over the cover sheets and redo all f the questions that I got wrong.

However, for my other subjects I am writing out all of my notes and condensing them before doing past papers. I have already done this for Chemistry Unit 2 and 4 and so I will be condensing them further and then doing past papers. Physics (all units) and Chemistry Unit 5 still need original notes made for them and so it will be a while before I do full Physics past papers however I am getting through the notes as quickly is possible.

But yes, I do find that past papers help with revision. They help me see where the gaps in my knowledge are and then correct them. It also helps me get used to the exam questions (exams are very repetitive) and know how to answer them in the way that is wanted.

Thanks! Exam technique is where I fall down so I'll definitely try to do more past papers.
Reply 28
Thanks! Exam technique is where I fall down so I'll definitely try to do more past papers.

Not a problem!

Make sure you know the content as well; there is no point in "wasting" past papers. Also try and keep a record of your marks (I have the sheet I am using in an earlier post) as this will help you see your improvements over time. What level are you studying at? I may be able to help you find some more obscure places to find past papers.
Not a problem!

Make sure you know the content as well; there is no point in "wasting" past papers. Also try and keep a record of your marks (I have the sheet I am using in an earlier post) as this will help you see your improvements over time. What level are you studying at? I may be able to help you find some more obscure places to find past papers.

Only GCSE. Don't worry about trying to find me more past papers. I have loads to do and I've forgotten which questions I've already done so it'll be fine. I just need to knuckle down and do some. I'll try and make a similar sheet later today! :smile:
Thanks for your help!
Reply 30
Only GCSE. Don't worry about trying to find me more past papers. I have loads to do and I've forgotten which questions I've already done so it'll be fine. I just need to knuckle down and do some. I'll try and make a similar sheet later today! :smile:
Thanks for your help!

Not a problem and good luck! I hope that this technique works well for you (:
Reply 31
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses...

Sunday 21st February

So today unfortunately life got in the way and I did not accomplish all that I set out to.

I only completed 1 of the tasks on my list and a bit of another one however as always I have a good excuse. I have been out of the house since 1pm (now almost 9pm) and had planned to do some work when I got home however; on the journey home I got a really bad migraine (to the point that my dad had to come out and park the car) so I don't really fancy doing any work right now.

I did manage to do C1 June 2005 scoring 75/75 which I was very pleased with. I also made notes on kinetic assumptions. Therefore tomorrow I will be writing the other two topics of notes and doing the C2 paper that was planned for today. I only have one study period tomorrow but I do have a Unit 4 physics lesson (1 per week) for me and one other classmate to go through some of the work from unit 4 as lets face it, my mock grades weren't that great.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Update- Sunday 21st February (2)

So today unfortunately life got in the way and I did not accomplish all that I set out to.

I only completed 1 of the tasks on my list and a bit of another one however as always I have a good excuse. I have been out of the house since 1pm (now almost 9pm) and had planned to do some work when I got home however; on the journey home I got a really bad migraine (to the point that my dad had to come out and park the car) so I don't really fancy doing any work right now.

I did manage to do C1 June 2005 scoring 75/75 which I was very pleased with. I also made notes on kinetic assumptions. Therefore tomorrow I will be writing the other two topics of notes and doing the C2 paper that was planned for today. I only have one study period tomorrow but I do have a Unit 4 physics lesson (1 per week) for me and one other classmate to go through some of the work from unit 4 as lets face it, my mock grades weren't that great.

Bryony (:

Yay for you!!!! Full marks!!! Very pleased? How are you not jumping up and down in happiness? (I think I would be bouncing off the walls:tongue:)
One bad day isn't much in the grand scheme. Besides we all need a break otherwise we'll be walking zombies with no social lives or lives at all outside of revision. :smile:
Reply 33
Yay for you!!!! Full marks!!! Very pleased? How are you not jumping up and down in happiness? (I think I would be bouncing off the walls:tongue:)
One bad day isn't much in the grand scheme. Besides we all need a break otherwise we'll be walking zombies with no social lives or lives at all outside of revision. :smile:

I guess I was kind of bouncing off of the walls when I first marked it; but by the time I got to post it on tsr it had muted to a very happy feeling (:

Yeah I suppose not in the grand scheme of thing. I think my problem is I have had too many breaks this half term and I have a tendency to prioritise social life as opposed to revision. This is something I will have to work through over the next few months.
Reply 34
First Day Back

Monday 22nd February

So after my fairly unsuccessful day yesterday I am now going back to school which will mean less opportunity for revision.

Plan for Today
-C2 January 2005 (I also have a C2 past paper)
-Physics notes on at least 2 topics
-Chemistry Unit 2 condensing notes from Module 1.1
-M1 January 2005 (M1 paper on Tuesday)

I'm hoping to get all of this done between school and at home this evening. I also have a study period and an extra lesson today.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess I was kind of bouncing off of the walls when I first marked it; but by the time I got to post it on tsr it had muted to a very happy feeling (:

Yeah I suppose not in the grand scheme of thing. I think my problem is I have had too many breaks this half term and I have a tendency to prioritise social life as opposed to revision. This is something I will have to work through over the next few months.

:smile: It's only February though and that was our last proper holiday before exams. I'll work with prioritising revision with you too though! I think it's something I need to improve on too.
Hope your plan for today went to plan! It seemed to be a lot to do on a school day. I know it's been a week's holiday but there's these things called lessons... :tongue:
Reply 36
:smile: It's only February though and that was our last proper holiday before exams. I'll work with prioritising revision with you too though! I think it's something I need to improve on too.
Hope your plan for today went to plan! It seemed to be a lot to do on a school day. I know it's been a week's holiday but there's these things called lessons... :tongue:

Very true! It has been a busy day (particularly for the first day back!)
Reply 37
Full Marks!

Monday 22nd February

As I posted earlier, my aim was to complete the following:
-C2 January 2005 (I also have a C2 past paper)
-Physics notes on at least 2 topics
-Chemistry Unit 2 condensing notes from Module 1.1
-M1 January 2005 (M1 paper on Tuesday)

So now for what I actually did today:
-C2 Past Paper (a mock in class) a should get the mark back for this tomorrow
-C2 January 2005 (I scored 75/75 which is a personal best for C2!)
-Physics notes on
- Speed Distribution of Gas Particles [Unit 5]
- Energy Transfer between particles (including heat transfer) [Unit 5]
- Impulse [Unit 4]
-Titration Revision for an Assessed practical tomorrow (I only found out about it today)

Whilst I did not complete everything on my original list; I still feel that it was a very productive day. Tomorrow I have an M1paper to do in lessons so that will be helpful. I will post in the morning with exactly what I plan to do. I doubt it will be very much as I play hockey in the evening.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Update- Tuesday 23rd February

Second day back at school and the day before I head of to Brighton. I also have hockey this evening hence the shorter list. My theory is that if I start my revision earlier I will be able to do less per night and therefore keep going with my extra curriculars

Plan for Today:
- M1 Paper (mock in class)
- M1 January 2005
- Physics notes on at least 2 topics
- Recap Titration calculations before my asses practical (afternoon)

I know this is a short update but I'm kind of in a rush to get to school!

Bryony (:
Reply 39
Update - Tuesday 23rd February

So today I have done almost everything on my list. I have only got to question 2 of the May 2005 M1 paper as I had hockey. This is only going to be a quick update as I'm heading off ridiculously early in the morning to go to Brighton.

Good news though, I got 99UMS on my C2 mock! Not sure whether to be happy or annoyed as the marks I dropped are silly mistakes but then again it is a great mark!

Tomorrow I will do a longer update but for now I'm off to bed. Night

Bryony (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending