The Student Room Group

Feeling isolated in a 'multicultural' area

I know this is going to be provocative, but I'm really struggling here. Before you accuse me of racism I'm not white. Of course, I know all too well other races can be racist as well. But hear me out...

I moved to London a little over a year ago to study. I live in an area where there are very few British people and I can go days before hearing someone who speaks English as a first language, and there are some who do not speak English at all. Most of them stick to themselves and only show respect, acknowledgement and consideration for each other. Being friendly gets me nowhere here.

Now I don't have anything against diversity, I myself am of multi-ethnic background and was brought up 'British'. What I do see as a problem is most of this is segregated with a clash of morals and ethics, and a lack of respect. I just feel like an alien here and like I'm living in a foreign country except there is no language I can learn or culture I can embrace to communicate and integrate and everyone is part of their own little club except from me.

I really want to go home, but I can't at least until my studies are done.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Reply 1
Focus on your studies, live with it and stop complaining.
Original post by UWS
Focus on your studies, live with it and stop complaining.

/Thread
Where are you living, Stamford Hill?
Reply 4
Original post by Ravenous
Where are you living, Stamford Hill?

No, I live in Zone 1.
You live in zone 1 yet you say there are very few British people? Sounds like BS; I'd understand that many foreign students are in London but to go so far as to saying there are very few British in zone 1?

Where exactly do you live?
Reply 6
Original post by SterlingArcher
You live in zone 1 yet you say there are very few British people? Sounds like BS; I'd understand that many foreign students are in London but to go so far as to saying there are very few British in zone 1?

Where exactly do you live?

It's not BS. I live in the borough of Westminster, and what I will say is it's heavily populated with Middle Easterners.
Remember, true multiculturalism from the point of view of the left is when English and British culture is non-existent. The left call my local area multi-cultural yet there is a no white English people present, English is not the first language and there is a dominate religion (take a guess). Apparently you have to embrace it even though it feels like a third world dump site
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
How do you think us indigenous white Londoners feel? :rolleyes:

Welcome to progressive multiculturalism x mass immigration, we hope you enjoy your stay in our most diverse, and divided, capital city :h:

Well, I'm half indigenous if it counts for anything, and grew up with a very excepting white family in a nice cosy village in Lancashire. And I'm very much a 'Northern Lass' so perhaps it's the South as well that is difficult for me. I was talking about multiculturalism not multi-ethnic, skin colour isn't what it's about and there's plenty of white non-British people here too... I meet more Eastern Europeans than British people here for example. But yes I do wonder how it feels for someone with 2 indigenous parents when even I, with my light brown skin, feel like an alien and a lost foreigner.
Reply 9
Original post by Squirrel777
Remember, true multiculturalism from the point of view of the left is when English and British culture is non-existent. The left call my local area multi-cultural yet there is a no white English people present, English is not the first language and there is a dominate religion (take a guess). Apparently you have to embrace it even though it feels like a third world dump site

I think it's sad that British people can't have a sense of pride and patriotism without being accused of racism. For example myself, being half I'm encouraged by wider society to embrace my other side but if I were to embrace and be proud of my white British side as well that would be 'wrong', despite being brought up by my British family. It really makes me wonder how actual British people cope.

The whole point of flagging the race card whenever someone does take pride in and defend British culture and values is to silence people into accepting multiculturalism and changing the landscape... For cheaper labour and more votes... Call me a conspiracy theorist or a crazy but it's also to do with accepting world banks and government, NATO, EU etc. Patriotism needs to be eradicated before they can win, and they will win at any rate.
Original post by Anonymous
I think it's sad that British people can't have a sense of pride and patriotism without being accused of racism. For example myself, being half I'm encouraged by wider society to embrace my other side but if I were to embrace and be proud of my white British side as well that would be 'wrong', despite being brought up by my British family. It really makes me wonder how actual British people cope.

The whole point of flagging the race card whenever someone does take pride in and defend British culture and values is to silence people into accepting multiculturalism and changing the landscape... For cheaper labour and more votes... Call me a conspiracy theorist or a crazy but it's also to do with accepting world banks and government, NATO, EU etc. Patriotism needs to be eradicated before they can win, and they will win at any rate.

Its best we not say anything or the left 'progressives' will label us Nazis and fascists and before you know it they have amassed a mob putting your life and your family's at risk. They are willing to kill MPs over voting policy, I would rather not get mixed up with these people
I know this is going to be provocative, but I'm really struggling here. Before you accuse me of racism I'm not white. Of course, I know all too well other races can be racist as well. But hear me out...

I moved to London a little over a year ago to study. I live in an area where there are very few British people and I can go days before hearing someone who speaks English as a first language, and there are some who do not speak English at all. Most of them stick to themselves and only show respect, acknowledgement and consideration for each other. Being friendly gets me nowhere here.

Now I don't have anything against diversity, I myself am of multi-ethnic background and was brought up 'British'. What I do see as a problem is most of this is segregated with a clash of morals and ethics, and a lack of respect. I just feel like an alien here and like I'm living in a foreign country except there is no language I can learn or culture I can embrace to communicate and integrate and everyone is part of their own little club except from me.

I really want to go home, but I can't at least until my studies are done.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

A lot of people feel like that and it's one of the main reasons immigration has been the second most important area of policy for voter for the past three years running after the economy.

Suck it up while your at uni then leave to go to an area that hasn't become unrecognisable yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Something for the people using the race card .... :smile:

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it is so diverse and multi cultural !? So culturally enriching!! A melting pot of wonderful people!!

You are very very very lucky man
This beginning of this speech sums up my views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8__KC93unB0
[video]https://youtu.be/8__KC93unB0[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, I'm half indigenous if it counts for anything, and grew up with a very excepting white family in a nice cosy village in Lancashire. And I'm very much a 'Northern Lass' so perhaps it's the South as well that is difficult for me. I was talking about multiculturalism not multi-ethnic, skin colour isn't what it's about and there's plenty of white non-British people here too... I meet more Eastern Europeans than British people here for example. But yes I do wonder how it feels for someone with 2 indigenous parents when even I, with my light brown skin, feel like an alien and a lost foreigner.

I kinda feel the same, I'm half asian, half english and had trouble fitting in with the asians at school because i'm too "white", It's kind of irritating that I have to be defined for something i can't help.

I have had mixed friends in the past but they really really try hard to fit in with their white side. I'm a good person and race doesnt come into that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending