The Student Room Group

Migrant worker status

Hello everyone,

I will start by apologizing as I have a very big issue and I need to explain it in detail for everyone who reads to clearly understand.

I started applying for Student loan and grant as a migrant worker since the second year, and now I am currently in the 3rd year. I have made the online application to SFE in July last year and they approved it without asking me for any work evidence and successfully received the 1st 2 installments. Three weeks ago I receive a letter from SFE saying that they've blocked my payments as I am not a student anymore.

Called Uni and they confirmed I am and they didn't send anything to SFE. When I called SFE they said it's a totally different reason for that: I haven't provided evidence of employment.

After this conversation I did send them the last 3 months payslips but now they told me I need to send again before the release of the 3rd installment.

The fact is that I am working for a very good company for the past 2 years through an agency, because they only require staff full-time. This year, as last year, between January - March the work volume is very low and since I have a 0 hours contract they haven't offered me any work.

SFE says this is anciliary work, but I am available to work as always, I have text messages from the agency saying that "there is no work for this week".

I am working a day or two every week and even though it seems not enough, they do pay very well and starting from March I will start working normal. Even if I am looking for another job, I won't be able to find anything better.

My question is: is it possible to loose my Migrant Worker Status this way? I have earned this tax year 6500 pounds and I think it is pretty obvious is not a mock job (it has economic value) and I am available to work thus I am not voluntary unemployed and technically I am not unemployed as I am waiting to be assigned work

Secondly what happens if I loose this status? Does it mean I won't get even the tuition fee to finish my year?(tuition fee payment status is: blocked)

I am really having the worst time of my life and every little help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Original post by LDaniel
Hello everyone,

I will start by apologizing as I have a very big issue and I need to explain it in detail for everyone who reads to clearly understand.

I started applying for Student loan and grant as a migrant worker since the second year, and now I am currently in the 3rd year. I have made the online application to SFE in July last year and they approved it without asking me for any work evidence and successfully received the 1st 2 installments. Three weeks ago I receive a letter from SFE saying that they've blocked my payments as I am not a student anymore.

Called Uni and they confirmed I am and they didn't send anything to SFE. When I called SFE they said it's a totally different reason for that: I haven't provided evidence of employment.

After this conversation I did send them the last 3 months payslips but now they told me I need to send again before the release of the 3rd installment.

The fact is that I am working for a very good company for the past 2 years through an agency, because they only require staff full-time. This year, as last year, between January - March the work volume is very low and since I have a 0 hours contract they haven't offered me any work.

SFE says this is anciliary work, but I am available to work as always, I have text messages from the agency saying that "there is no work for this week".

I am working a day or two every week and even though it seems not enough, they do pay very well and starting from March I will start working normal. Even if I am looking for another job, I won't be able to find anything better.

My question is: is it possible to loose my Migrant Worker Status this way? I have earned this tax year 6500 pounds and I think it is pretty obvious is not a mock job (it has economic value) and I am available to work thus I am not voluntary unemployed and technically I am not unemployed as I am waiting to be assigned work

Secondly what happens if I loose this status? Does it mean I won't get even the tuition fee to finish my year?(tuition fee payment status is: blocked)

I am really having the worst time of my life and every little help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Your post is confusing, you say the agency told you there is no work available, yet you are working a day or two every week? Which is it?

As far as I understand it, to have migrant worker status you have to actually be working- student finance normally want a certain amount of hours a week worked- the generally quoted figure to get migrant worker status is 16 hours per week. Student finance can revoke this status if you aren't considered to be working enough.

However even if you lose migrant worker status, you are always eligible for a tuition fee loan as an EU student, it is just the maintenance loan you lose the right to.
Reply 2
Sorry, I meant to say a day every one or 2 weeks. The general idea is that until now I have't worked a constant number of hours per week.

I've had 24,32 even 40 h/week during the summer. Even when there is going to be a greater work volume, I may work mode than 16h. I am not sure but they should compensate.

In this job I am doing I have been offered a permanent contract many times but they require full timers and I have to attend Uni as well.

In your opinion, do you consider it to be my fault ( being voluntary unemployed) if not offered work while specifically being available and waiting to be assigned?

I've read somwhere agency work is accepted thus not specifically specifying some criteria and leaving it to be ambiguous makes me loose my mind. One year you could be accepted and one you cannot because the person assessing your application understands it different, as an example my situation was exactly the same last year as it is now but I haven't had this issues.

Jelly1000 I appreciate for taking the time and getting involved. Respect!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending