The Student Room Group

Advice required on changing careers

Good Morning Folks

Has anyone read the popular job hunting book ‘What color is your parachute?’
If so, as you know, the author encourages the reader to complete some exercises in order to find out your ideal career choice. Has anybody completed that?

The exercises involve making lists of various categories such as:

Preferred fields of work or interest
Preferred kinds of people you would like to work with
Preferred job requirements/tasks

When these exercises are completed, the author encourages the individual to go away and show the list to friends who can give ideas of various job titles which would agree with the lists made above.

I have completed these exercises and shown the list to a few friends of mine, but unfortunately nobody can give me any job titles which would be suitable for me.

Can you please advice what else I can do?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Well what do your lists say?
Not without you telling us what your lists are!
Waste management? Accountant? Florist
Reply 4
Hi Folks
Many thanks indeed for your replies.
I’m so sorry for not replying earlier, but I had a family issue to attend to, which is now resolved (hopefully!!), and things are getting back to normal.
To give you a bit of an insight into my knowledge & skills, I enjoy/would enjoy doing jobs/careers which would involve the following:
Working with numbers and spreadsheets
Analysing manipulating/compiling/computing data
Advising/mentoring/training/teaching people, but I don’t want to become a school teacher
Current affairs
Football but I don’t want to become a footballer.

Any advice much greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Original post by geek84
Hi Folks
Many thanks indeed for your replies.
I’m so sorry for not replying earlier, but I had a family issue to attend to, which is now resolved (hopefully!!), and things are getting back to normal.
To give you a bit of an insight into my knowledge & skills, I enjoy/would enjoy doing jobs/careers which would involve the following:
Working with numbers and spreadsheets
Analysing manipulating/compiling/computing data
Advising/mentoring/training/teaching people, but I don’t want to become a school teacher
Current affairs
Football but I don’t want to become a footballer.

Any advice much greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Investment banking, consulting, accounting, a professor of finance, data scientist etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending