The Student Room Group

Why you should VOTE STAY in the EU referendum

A lot of people are on the fence, and you'll probably see a lot of fearmongering and outright lies from people that want to leave. Stuff like "our NHS is failing", "the UK is overpopulated", "we give the EU money and never getting anything back", and so on. The "Leave" crowd seem to be very loud, so it's easy to believe them, but please ask questions and look for statistics before you believe what they say. Here are some of the commonly peddled lies from Vote Leave, but it's not all of them.

People are turning the EU into a scapegoat as if it's the source of all these problems, and pretending that leaving it would solve them. I'd love to jump on the bandwagon, but the reality is that it won't. I'd like to make the case for why we should stay in the EU, with some facts and statistics, to help you make up your mind.

1. EU law protects YOU: Throughout the referendum campaign, Vote Leave have been very loud about EU legislation. They say that the EU makes laws that cost British companies money, and we'd be more well-off financially if we could get rid of those laws. This is true. What they don't tell you, though, is that most of the laws they want rid of protect you. The EU is very progressive, and over the years they've introduced a lot of rights and regulations: they provide your consumer rights, which guarantee a refund period and working products; they provide product safety regulations that force manufacturers to make their products as safe as possible; they provide workers' rights, such as 28 days paid leave and a limit on working hours; and they safeguard our Human Rights - we can't leave the ECHR and repeal the Human Rights Act while we're a member of the EU.

Of course, all of these things cost money, but I think the vast majority of us are surely better-off because of them?

If you think our rights aren't at risk, please consider that the head of MI6 wants to leave the EU so we can get rid of the Human Rights Act, and our current government are trying to repeal that act right now.

2. Our Economy: The health of our economy affects everyone. It affects the prices of goods, it affects the money we have available to fund public services like the NHS and education, it affects how much you get paid and how many jobs are available. The EU is a single market, and it is the largest economy in the world. Many economics think-tanks believe that our economy would suffer significantly if we were to leave the EU.

The EU has policies in place to increase trade between member states. These policies, like the Common Customs Tariff, will often make it more favourable to trade with other EU states than with external states. So, essentially, other EU countries will be more likely to trade with us than with China or the US, which benefits us economically.

In 2014, 44% of UK exports were to the EU. If we were to leave the EU, this would almost definitely decrease, as we become less favourable to trade with. 15% of our GDP (the total money coming into the country, a measure of economic strength) comes from EU exports. That's £300 billion.

Vote Leave will tell you that the EU needs us more than we need them. This is true - there's a trade deficit, so the EU exports more to us than we export to them. However, all that means is that if we leave, everybody ends up worse-off.

3. Free Migration: The EU allows UK citizens to freely travel to, and live in, other EU countries. It also allows EU citizens to move to the UK (with some exceptions - we do not need to let in criminals). This is great for us: we can travel and live elsewhere without needing to apply for visas or citizenships, and we can study at European universities and only pay their home fees - often free. There are currently 1.3 million Brits living elsewhere in the EU. But we also benefit hugely from EU citizens coming to live here.

Vote Leave will tell you that lots of people come over from poorer countries to do unskilled labour, so they take our jobs, or that lots just come to take our benefits. This isn't true. This study by UCL found that EU migrants contributed 34% more in taxes than they took in benefits. It also found, "In contrast, over the same period, the total of UK natives’ tax payments were 11% lower than the transfers they received." This essentially means that the average migrant is contributing more to the economy than the average British citizen. EU citizens are also 43% less likely to claim benefits than British people - so, again, the Leave campaign is lying when they tell us that people are coming here for our welfare system.

There's also a myth that most immigrants are unskilled workers - people try to say that, while EU migrants work, they're taking unskilled jobs from natives instead of filling jobs we need. But the same UCL study found that 32% of EU migrants had a university education, compared to 21% for UK natives - so the truth is that they actually are filling skilled jobs that we need filled.

As for unemployment, the number of UK natives in work has increased over the last few years. The number of employed natives is increasing alongside the number of migrants. The migrants aren't taking our jobs - they're spurring growth and creating jobs.

We get to move across the continent freely, and we get skilled, hard-working people that fill jobs British businesses need filled.

4. EU Budget: The UK (and all EU countries) pay an EU membership fee. Vote Leave have been spreading the lie that we pay £350 million per week, or £18 billion per year. This is a lie: we get a rebate on what we pay, and then the EU puts money back into the UK. So we effectively pay less than £150 million per week.

The EU uses the budget to pay for a lot of stuff that benefits the entire EU, including the UK. A large portion of the budget funds scientific research across the EU, which ensures that the money gets to where it can be used best, benefiting all of us. The UK has possibly benefited the most from this: British scientists have received EU funding for more projects than any other country.

The EU has been particularly important in tackling Climate Change, and a large portion of the budget goes toward funding low-carbon technologies and climate change research. The budget has also provided funding for climate change adaptation for EU member states - paying for flood defenses, for example. Climate change is a global issue, and we can make so much more progress in tackling it by working together, putting the money where it can do the most good.

Those of us living in the poorer parts of the country should consider the European Regional Development Fund: the EU allocates some of that budget to invest into the poorest regions of its member states. The areas like Northumberland, which are horribly neglected by our own government, receive EU funding for businesses and cultural projects, boosting tourism and trade in the areas that need it the most.

We pay £150 million per week to the EU, but in return we benefit from the science produced, the action against climate change, and the development of other EU countries - when one EU member state grows their economy, this benefits all of us in the long run.

I hope this helps you toward making a decision. Please be sceptical toward anything you hear, and don't believe things without some evidence to back it up, because a lot of misinformation is being spread.

And if you're on the fence, please inform yourself and vote. The outcome of the referendum will have a huge effect on the country.

If you're planning on voting to STAY, that's not enough - please spread the word, and correct people when you see them spreading lies or misinformation.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am on the fence but I can't see why any other reason than the third should matter to me, and even then, it barely does. If I don't work in any of those industries directly, it won't have a major impact on me.
Original post by Dinasaurus
I am on the fence but I can't see why any other reason than the third should matter to me, and even then, it barely does. If I don't work in any of those industries directly, it won't have a major impact on me.

Not true, the economy will always affect you. If our economy suffers it'll be harder to get a job, a house, etc., and publicly funded services (like the NHS) will get less funding.
Original post by JordanL_
Not true, the economy will always affect you. If our economy suffers it'll be harder to get a job, a house, etc., and publicly funded services (like the NHS) will get less funding.

People can't get houses at the moment due to the ridiculously high prices. Wouldn't reducing some of the demand on housing help lower the prices?
Original post by LordMallard
People can't get houses at the moment due to the ridiculously high prices. Wouldn't reducing some of the demand on housing help lower the prices?

Not necessarily. If our economy takes a hit there'll be less houses being built, so supply will go down with demand.

It's also worth keeping in mind that net migration is higher from non-EU countries than from the EU. It would be easier to reduce migration from non-EU countries.

House prices are also largely the result of just not building enough houses. The population will increase whether we're in the EU or not, and prices will keep rising until we build more houses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Very well said.

The economy is something that affects every single person in this country so even if the EU doesn't directly affect your job (e.g. through the subsidies outlined above) it definitely has an indirect impact in terms of how far your money will actually go.

I don't know if anyone here has read 'The Undercover Economist' by Tim Harford (recommend it if you haven't), but he makes a very good point about how barriers to trade (such as taxing imports) negatively impact economic growth. The idea that the UK would somehow be in a stronger position to negotiate new trade deals outside of the EU (the LARGEST trading bloc in the world) is simply a fallacy, and would lead to further trade restrictions which, as most economic studies suggest, would lead to a loss in GDP as our economy would shrink.

One last thing, this is about everyone, and not just any single person. It would be selfish to vote to leave simply by focusing on a single issue that you aren't happy with without first thinking about the wider picture, as this referendum is about much more than simply immigration, or trade, or further integration. We must think rationally and recognise the overall benefits that the EU brings, rather than tiny issues that detract from it.

If you are currently undecided, I urge you to VOTE STAY.
your reasons are weak.
do you think hardly anybody in this country cares about being able to move to poland or romania? before 2005~ sure there was france, spain and germany etc but now it's eastern europe.
do you think hardly anybody in this country think that immigration *isn't* the top electoral issue?
and by the way: benefits claimants being migrants isn't the issue. the issue is numbers. and there's no way that we get more money from the EU than we give in. NOBODY credible claims that.
and who honestly claims that we won't be able to have a free trade deal with the EU if bloody *mexico* gets it?
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with your views; you've justified them really well.
In turn, leaving the EU would increase the chances in the economy flailing as compared to the economy getting better :yep:
Original post by sleepysnooze
do you think hardly anybody in this country cares about being able to move to poland or romania? before 2005~ sure there was france, spain and germany etc but now it's eastern europe.

What? You can still move to France, Spain or Germany. Now you can also move to Poland or Romania.

and by the way: benefits claimants being migrants isn't the issue. the issue is numbers.

What numbers? Net migration is less than 200,000 from the EU. The UK is 53rd in the world for Population Density. In no way are we overpopulated.

and there's no way that we get more money from the EU than we give in. NOBODY credible claims that.

I never said that. I said we get a large portion back of what we put in. We also receive money directly and indirectly in the form of various subsidies and grants. A huge amount of research funding in the UK comes from the European Budget. We also get to benefit from scientific developments made in other countries that couldn't happen without that funding. We also benefit hugely in economic terms. 15% of our GDP is from EU exports, which far outweighs what we put into the EU. (15% of our GDP is £300 billion).

and who honestly claims that we won't be able to have a free trade deal with the EU if bloody *mexico* gets it?

How does this mean we could get a similar deal?
Government propaganda pls
Reply 10
A lot of people are on the fence, and you'll probably see a lot of fearmongering and outright lies from people that want to leave. Stuff like "our NHS is failing", "the UK is overpopulated", "we give the EU money and never getting anything back", and so on. The "Leave" crowd seem to be very loud, so it's easy to believe them, but please ask questions and look for statistics before you believe what they say.

People are turning the EU into a scapegoat as if it's the source of all these problems, and pretending that leaving it would solve them. I'd love to jump on the bandwagon, but the reality is that it won't. I'd like to make the case for why we should stay in the EU, with some facts and statistics, to help you make up your mind.

1. Immigration: The EU allows for free migration between all EU countries. The people wanting to leave will tell you that lots of people come over from poorer countries to do unskilled labour, so they take our jobs, or that lots just come to take our benefits.

Claims of immigrants coming from the EU to take our benefits are outright lies. This study by UCL found that EU migrants contributed 34% more in taxes than they took in benefits. It also found, "In contrast, over the same period, the total of UK natives’ tax payments were 11% lower than the transfers they received." This essentially means that the average migrant is contributing more to the economy than the average British citizen.

There's also a myth that most immigrants are unskilled workers - people try to say that, while EU migrants work, they're taking unskilled jobs from natives instead of filling jobs we need. But the same UCL study found that 32% of EU migrants had a university education, compared to 21% for UK natives - so the truth is that they actually are filling skilled jobs that we need filled.

As for unemployment, the number of UK natives in work has increased over the last few years.

2. Giving money to the EU: The UK (and all EU countries) pay an EU membership fee. But a lot of people don't seem to realize that we get a large amount of that money back. In 2013, Nigel Farage claimed that Britain pays £20 billion per year for EU membership. We actually paid £18 billion, and we received over half of it back.

The majority of the rest went to the EU budget. The EU uses this to pay for a lot of stuff that benefits the entire EU. For example, £4 billion went to funding scientific research in the UK, and £53 billion to agriculture subsidies. A lot of this benefits us directly, but it also helps the rest of the EU grow, which in turn helps us by increasing trade.

The EU has been particularly important in tackling Climate Change, and a large portion of the budget goes toward funding low-carbon technologies and climate change research. The budget has also provided funding for climate change adaptation for EU member states - paying for flood defenses, for example.

A ton of science and technology projects in the UK and abroad are also able to happen due to EU funding. [url="https://erc.europa.eu/projects-and-results/erc-funded-projects?f[0"]Over 2200 UK research projects have benefited from EU funding and grants
. This is more than any other EU member state, by a large margin.

3. We trade a lot with the EU: The EU has policies in place to increase trade between member states. These policies, like the Common Customs Tariff, will often make it more favourable to trade with other EU states than with external states. So, essentially, other EU countries will be more likely to trade with us than with China or the US, which benefits us economically.

In 2014, 44% of UK exports were to the EU. If we were to leave the EU, this would almost definitely decrease, as we become less favourable to trade with. This would impact the economy.

4. The EU allows us to move freely too: It's not just people coming to the UK from elsewhere. We can move around the EU too. We can travel without requiring a visa, and we can easily apply for and attend universities across Europe (it's almost always cheaper than in the UK!)

I hope this helps you toward making a decision. Please be sceptical toward anything you hear, and don't believe things without some evidence to back it up, because a lot of misinformation is being spread.

And if you're on the fence, please inform yourself and vote. The outcome of the referendum will have a huge effect on the country.

I would rather jump off a cliff into a pit of lava
Just to comment on the issue of Mexico having free trade, no one is saying that the UK wouldn't be able to get a trade deal; of course the EU isn't going to suddenly stop trading with us. However, the deal will likely involve higher trade tariffs which will be economically damaging and we will have to subscribe to a large number of EU regulations anyway (like Norway and Switzerland currently have to - we will be no exception), so we might as well have a say in them.

One thing is for certain: the EU won't give us a better trade deal IF we leave, and will likely give us a worse one than we currently have, so there is no point in leaving on economic grounds.
Reply 12
undecided still
Not necessarily. If our economy takes a hit there'll be less houses being built, so supply will go down with demand.

It's also worth keeping in mind that net migration is higher from non-EU countries than from the EU. It would be easier to reduce migration from non-EU countries.

House prices are also largely the result of just not building enough houses. The population will increase whether we're in the EU or not, and prices will keep rising until we build more houses.

Yes I agree that it's mostly a supply side issue, but it would help if demand were reduced. There would also still be trade with the EU, as it's completely illogical to suggest that all trade with the EU would cease.
Original post by LordMallard
Yes I agree that it's mostly a supply side issue, but it would help if demand were reduced. There would also still be trade with the EU, as it's completely illogical to suggest that all trade with the EU would cease.

Nobody suggests it will cease entirely, but even a decrease by a few percent will be felt by the economy.
Original post by Blank_Planet
Nobody suggests it will cease entirely, but even a decrease by a few percent will be felt by the economy.

Exactly. This study found that, in the worst case scenario, our GDP will be 2.2% lower in 2030 if we leave the EU. Even attempting to strike a free-trade agreement we could still see a permanent decrease of 0.6%.
Original post by Joel 96
OP makes me sick.

The bumbling morons spewing lies and misinformation everywhere make me sick.

You rightly pointed out that immigration is a net benefit to our economy.
Do you settle with that? It's good so let's just keep it as it is? You cannot reform it very much at all whilst in the EU.

If we were to leave we can change immigration from being a positive influence on our economy to being an extremly beneficial part of our economy.

Don't settle for good, strive beyond my friend.
Original post by balanced
You rightly pointed out that immigration is a net benefit to our economy.
Do you settle with that? It's good so let's just keep it as it is? You cannot reform it very much at all whilst in the EU.

If we were to leave we can change immigration from being a positive influence on our economy to being an extremly beneficial part of our economy.

Don't settle for good, strive beyond my friend.

Leaving the EU might allow us to control immigration to improve our economy, but that would be outweighed by the economic damage. I think the EU is a more than fair compromise.
Leaving the EU might allow us to control immigration to improve our economy, but that would be outweighed by the economic damage. I think the EU is a more than fair compromise.

So you're immigration point is irrelevant for us staying, great thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending