The Student Room Group

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Okay so I went to an interview for my first (and only) choice uni last wednesday (24th Feb) It's an art university so it was more of a portfolio review and getting to know whether I have the passion and creative mindset to excel on the course which is very competitive as it is quite a specific degree and only this university and one other do it (but this uni is based far away and not in London).

Bearing in mind I took two gap years so I went into this whole process feeling slightly out of favour, but they liked my personal statement and asked me to upload a portfolio online for them to review, they obviously liked that and so then invited me to an interview. It happened last wednesday and I'm not really sure what to think. As it's an art university they pretty much sat there flicking through my work and a sketchbook used to show some of my creative processes.

On to the actual question at hand, the interview started with them asking me about my A-Levels and what they were, presumably wondering why I'd done no relevant A-Levels as none of them were Art-based at all. I explained this and then went on to say I'd self taught myself. They seemed impressed with that and frequently made comments on my knowledge of the industry and seemed impressed that I'd self-taught myself all of it outside of school. However, all throughout the interview they didn't really mention that they were excited by my work or that I was particularly good (they made occasional comments but mostly it was one person flicking through it silently/critically, whilst the other person was having a look and asking me questions) which left me thinking negatively as they were very passive, although I suppose part of me is thinking that maybe that is because they're trying to view it critically and they're not there to praise me..I'm not sure. And later on the more critical interviewer specifically mentioned that they'd seen stronger portfolios that day alone and that my portfolio choices were safe as in I was showing them what I thought they wanted when in reality they wanted to see my artistic vision and more experimentation.

In addition to this, they kept talking about the competition for the course and how they had to turn down so many people and how it's not easy making decisions as there are so many people wanting a place. It almost felt as though they were subtly letting me down during the interview but giving me a pat on the back to let me know that I did well to reach this stage at all.

They then asked me if I had any questions, I had three or so well thought out questions regarding facilities, and one question regarding an MA course after the BA to which they replied "You should be focusing on a BA before you even think about an MA, but it's good that you're thinking ahead" which put the final nail in my university prospects' coffin.

THEN, one of the interviewers looked across the room and hushed "wait" to which I was surprised at obviously and then turned his piece of a4 paper which he scribbled down "yes, you're in" and was quick to mention that he's not supposed to do that and that I'm supposed to wait until the official decision which should come within 14 days (the room we were in had all the other course interviews in). At this point I'm baffled completely, after accepting that they're not interested in me throughout the first stages of the interview I'm then shown that and I'm obviously ecstatic. He then started talking about how they're looking for someone who has the passion to excel and learn independently to get the best out of the course. After that it was all very hush-hush and was coming to the close, the other interviewer mentioned that I need to push hard over the summer (presumably referencing the September start) as the competition is fierce. As it was coming to a close and we were saying our goodbyes I said "thank you so much" and he said " I'm not doing it to be nice, we have access to pick the best people" or something, I can't really remember the last part.

SO, THE QUESTION.

Was that their way of letting me down gently? Has this happened to anyone before? It all seemed very sketchy and as if they said I'm in just to get rid of me without breaking my heart right then and there.. Also, they still had to do more interviews so why would they offer me a place there and then before seeing other people? If I'm honest I feel I answered all of the questions really well and demonstrated my passion especially with my ability to self-teach myself to a good level, but all throughout they seemed passive which is why I'm thinking that may be their way of palming me off without having to be horrible..Then part of me thinks, they're there to judge people and probably have to reject around 60-70 people from the interviews, why would they try to be 'nice' by saying that? They wouldn't have said anything if they had rejected me right?

Sorry for this long-winded post, I'm just sitting here bottled-up, refreshing my emails every ten minutes waiting to see if they've replied. I just can't convince myself to believe either verdict and so I'm completely in the dark about what I'm supposed to be thinking right now..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Congrats, you have an offer. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Congrats, you have an offer. :smile:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you really think so? Am I just being paranoid? My instinct tells me that they can't just go around telling people they're in just to let them down as it looks really bad for reputation, but they just seemed so passive throughout the whole thing and kept referring to competition and how they have to let a lot of people down...:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by pessimist
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you really think so? Am I just being paranoid? My instinct tells me that they can't just go around telling people they're in just to let them down as it looks really bad for reputation, but they just seemed so passive throughout the whole thing and kept referring to competition and how they have to let a lot of people down...:s-smilie:

Students (and interviewees generally) are notoriously bad at judging how well they have done at interview.

If they told you in writing (or verbally) - albiet in a rather curious way - that "you are in" then you are in.

:smile:
I'm not sure why you typed all this when they already said you're in :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by + polarity -

nominative determinism
Original post by jneill
nominative determinism

:rofl2:
Reply 7

Because to me it seemed really weird and felt like the way they were doing it was very inconspicuous as if they were trying to get rid of me by saying that... Maybe I'm just being paranoid :frown:

Original post by jneill
Students (and interviewees generally) are notoriously bad at judging how well they have done at interview.

If they told you in writing (or verbally) - albiet in a rather curious way - that "you are in" then you are in.

:smile:

:redface: Okay, thanks for this I'm feeling somewhat more confident about it now that someone's reassured me but I won't be celebrating until I get an offer officially :s-smilie:
Original post by jneill

This is actually really reassuring - I recently had an interview that I thought went absolutely terribly! Fingers crossed :tongue:
Reply 9
This is actually really reassuring - I recently had an interview that I thought went absolutely terribly! Fingers crossed :tongue:

I decided to do an analysis of this year's Cambridge applicants versus their perception of how well their interview went. They sent me what they thought they scored (9=good, 1 = terrible). Short version is their rating had zero correlation with getting an offer or not. As many people thought it went well but didn't get an offer as thought it went badly but did get offers.

Fingers crossed you are in the later group for your situation :smile:
In my personal experience (so talking about jobs rather than university interviews) it's very often the weird interviews that result in an offer.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
In my personal experience (so talking about jobs rather than university interviews) it's very often the weird interviews that result in an offer.

Yeah, I guess you're right it just seemed so odd how everything they were talking about seemed negative and subtly telling me I wasn't good enough and then suddenly he turned the piece of paper and showed me the message saying that I was in, it just seemed genuinely shocking and I was literally speechless, more so because of the utter confusion rather than happiness :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest