The Student Room Group

Have I misread her signals?

TL/DR: It looks as though this girl showed signs she was interested in me. She ignores my message so probably isn't. Did I misread her signals? Advice please.

Hey,

I've known this girl in my class since last year. We never spoke or anything, but a few weeks ago I started to take an interest in her. Anyway, so I started paying more attention to her and sitting near her at lunch. I never spoke to her, but often I found that she moved away from her friends and sat directly opposite me on the other side of the room (which isn't a very big room, let me say) and I often caught her glancing up at me. It's almost as if she was trying to get me to notice her?

This happened twice, so I then followed her on Twitter and she followed me back almost immediately. I thought "great!" and the next time we were in class I started a conversation with her. Her body signals were showing signs that she was interested, such as laughing a lot, leaning in when she spoke and we even stayed behind a few minutes after class to finish our conversation until her friend pointed out the time and that they wouldn't manage to get a seat at lunch.

A few days later I messaged her asking about homework and we made a conversation about it. It was going really well - she used lots of emojis, put a kiss after each message and replied to me really quickly (and sometimes instantly). I always left a few minutes to reply, so when she saw my message instantly I wondered if she'd left it open as if waiting for me to reply?

Fast-forward almost a week later. we're in the holidays so I haven't seen her, so I decided to message her again. Not for any other purpose other than having a conversation, so I just started with a casual greeting. Except this time she ignores me completely. It's been three days and I haven't had a reply.

Now I'm not really upset about this because I barely know her. But do you think I misread her signals and that she was just being polite in class and when asking her about schoolwork? I'm terrible when it comes to females as it is, and I probably got ahead of myself into thinking that she was interested in me.

Any ideas/advice?
It does seem like she was just being friendly. If you've gone into the conversation with just a greeting and not asked anything or stimulated a conversation then she probably wouldn't see the need to reply.
Reply 2
Original post by georgiaswift
It does seem like she was just being friendly. If you've gone into the conversation with just a greeting and not asked anything or stimulated a conversation then she probably wouldn't see the need to reply.

What else could I have said to encourage her to reply? I hardly know her. Just from the fact that she didn't even greet me back, I'm guessing she can't have felt too friendly towards me. Thanks for the reply though :smile:
Reply 3
its the holidays she might be busy
Reply 4
Original post by mkap
its the holidays she might be busy

Yeah I thought that too. That's why I've just moved on with myself, but hey if she was busy and does message me after a few days then all the better right?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
x

Maybe she's interested but doesn't want to commit to anything serious.
Reply 6
Don't get too het up over it.
Perhaps she's busy, perhaps she forgot to reply, or perhaps she isn't interested after all.
No-one knows, just carry on with your life, and if anything progresses, it progresses. So much easier, believe me.
Reply 7
Original post by Ribenas
Maybe she's interested but doesn't want to commit to anything serious.

Yeah maybe you're right. But surely just saying hey to her doesn't come across as that serious?
Reply 8
Original post by Inazuma
Don't get too het up over it.
Perhaps she's busy, perhaps she forgot to reply, or perhaps she isn't interested after all.
No-one knows, just carry on with your life, and if anything progresses, it progresses. So much easier, believe me.

Thanks for saying that. It wasn't that I was upset, just more annoyed at the fact that I messed up. Oh well, time to focus more on myself and try again with someone else when the time comes :smile:
One thing you have to rememeber, people have moments, random thoughts and feelings, and just outright change their minds, day to day minute to minute.

Just a thought, if you really have to think that hard about it (situation), if you really are questioning it, doesn't it suggest something? Most things are pretty straight forward.

Also an unfortunate fact, the less you know someone the better your chances, at least from a male point of view. By the time you wait until you know you like this person, its probably too late. Its a gamble, like a new job, choosing a university, but if you get a feeling someone just might have that something about them, give it a go, worst case it doesn't work and no hard feelings hopefully.

Thats not to say there aren't exceptions, this is just in general.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FailingChemist
One thing you have to rememeber, people have moments, random thoughts and feelings, and just outright change their minds, day to day minute to minute.

Just a thought, if you really have to think that hard about it (situation), if you really are questioning it, doesn't it suggest something? Most things are pretty straight forward.

Also an unfortunate fact, the less you know someone the better your chances, at least from a male point of view. By the time you wait until you know you like this person, its probably too late. Its a gamble, like a new job, choosing a university, but if you get a feeling someone just might have that something about them, give it a go, worst case it doesn't work and no hard feelings hopefully.

Thats not to say there aren't exceptions, this is just in general.

Yeah you're right, I was just questioning it so I wouldn't make the same mistake in a future situation. And yeah, things like this are a gamble but that's what makes them fun right?
Reply 11
Don't take too long to reply to her messages tho, but try and involve her in a conversatin, ask her how her holidays are going. If she hasnt read the msg maybe shes on holiday without internet access, i wouldnt worry about it too much tho
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for saying that. It wasn't that I was upset, just more annoyed at the fact that I messed up. Oh well, time to focus more on myself and try again with someone else when the time comes :smile:

You haven't messed up. Sometimes these things happen, and it could have been a mistake. There's nothing to stop you throwing another message out at some point to check.
Just be you, and if it doesn't happen, nevermind. Not your fault at all.
Original post by ellsfp98
Don't take too long to reply to her messages tho, but try and involve her in a conversatin, ask her how her holidays are going. If she hasnt read the msg maybe shes on holiday without internet access, i wouldnt worry about it too much tho

Yeah I'm not going to try and move it any further. If she eventually does reply or talks to me when we're back at school then that's great but I'm not fussed anymore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending