The Student Room Group

International student on HE course

Hello,

I'm Brazilian and I'm 23 years old (24 on August). I'd like to study nutrition and dietetics at King's college.
On King's college website they suggest HE access course for mature students and foundation course for international students. However, I can only afford the HE course.
Besides the value, I believe that the access course is the best option for me. But I don't know if I can apply to the HE because I'm an international student and English isn't my first language (maybe I need to take ielts to do access course?)

If I can apply, does anyone know if I would be able to apply in this year?

About visa, I'm able to work and study in UK. It's not a problem for me.

I really appreciate your opinion on this matter.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by katytm

You can usually take IELTS at the same time as Access to HE. There were plenty of international students at the college I went to, and IELTS was offered alongside the course. You shouldn't have a problem in finding a place starting this September.

However, I'm afraid that you won't be able to take this particular course at King's because it is NHS funded, and therefore only available to students from the UK or European Union. Hopefully you will be able to find similar courses elsewhere that are more flexible in this respect.
Reply 2
Original post by katytm
I'm an international student and English isn't my first language (maybe I need to take ielts to do access course?)

About visa, I'm able to work and study in UK. It's not a problem for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In order to get a UK study visa, you first have to pass the IELTS at a specified level anyway. Unis may add a higher language requirement on top of that, depending on the course.
Reply 3
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You can usually take IELTS at the same time as Access to HE. There were plenty of international students at the college I went to, and IELTS was offered alongside the course. You shouldn't have a problem in finding a place starting this September.

However, I'm afraid that you won't be able to take this particular course at King's because it is NHS funded, and therefore only available to students from the UK or European Union. Hopefully you will be able to find similar courses elsewhere that are more flexible in this respect.

Tks for the answer!
About the NHS, I'll check if European can be accepted in ths course. My family is from Portugal so I could apply for a citizenship
Do you know of any specific or additional requirements of the application process for NHS funded courses? I read some things about an interview, but I was wondering if there was anything else I should be aware.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
In order to get a UK study visa, you first have to pass the IELTS at a specified level anyway. Unis may add a higher language requirement on top of that, depending on the course.

I already have an UK work and study visa because my husband works here.
Reply 5
Original post by katytm

About the NHS, I'll check if European can be accepted in ths course. My family is from Portugal so I could apply for a citizenship

Check very carefully before doing this. Most eligibility is based on years of residence in the UK or the EU, so your citizenship isn't necessarily going to be relevant.
Reply 6
Original post by katytm
I already have an UK work and study visa because my husband works here.

That's good. However you'll still be viewed as an International student until you have lived in the UK or EU for three full years before your course starts. That means high International student fees and not being eligible for courses which only accept UK/EU applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending