The Student Room Group

Offers for Pleven Medical School in Bulgaria anyone?

I've just got an offer to study Medicine at Pleven medical school in Bulgaria, and I'd really like to get to know anyone else in the same boat. Has anyone else got an offer or applied?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cooliomed
To be honest Bulgaria is well down the list and I turned off from Plovdiv after seeing they bought awards to make themselves look good and the reports of corruption, but that is just me. From what i heard they will accept anyone so you will get an offer.

Czech unis are really world class and my decision was because there are just so many uk grads from czech unis working in the uk.

Yes, sitting all three starting with Masaryk on Sat, then palacky and charles to finish the month off!

Yeah I did hear about that. Czech unis do seem really lovely, especially Masaryk, but I haven't done maths or physics since GCSE so the past papers were pretty much impossible! Good luck though, looks like you're in for a fun month :wink:
Can I ask why you didn't apply for Sofia Medical University? @Flockyer
Original post by Flockyer
Yeah I did hear about that. Czech unis do seem really lovely, especially Masaryk, but I haven't done maths or physics since GCSE so the past papers were pretty much impossible! Good luck though, looks like you're in for a fun month :wink:

Don't let that out you off. There really is no comparison, If you take the exams what is the worst that can happen? You don't have to do both maths and physics, it is just one or the other. A friend (well not a friend but someone who went to me school) is at Palacky and didn't take Maths at A-level. If you do well on the bio and them they apparently can be flexible on the maths and physics.

I would say give them a go, if you don't then you will not be made an offer at all, if you do then you may and let's say you get an offer for Masaryk...are you rally going to turn that down to go to Plovdiv?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by homeland.lsw
Can I ask why you didn't apply for Sofia Medical University? @Flockyer

It seems like Plovdiv and Pleven are those most associated with the English Medicine course, and after speaking to a representative from SME on the phone, Plovdiv was the one which stood out for me.
Reply 5
Don't let that out you off. There really is no comparison, If you take the exams what is the worst that can happen? You don't have to do both maths and physics, it is just one or the other. A friend (well not a friend but someone who went to me school) is at Palacky and didn't take Maths at A-level. If you do well on the bio and them they apparently can be flexible on the maths and physics.

I would say give them a go, if you don't then you will not be made an offer at all, if you do then you may and let's say you get an offer for Masaryk...are you rally going to turn that down to go to Plovdiv?

Yes, I thought it all through and I'm down to sit the exams in July so I could still give it a shot, but I didn't want to focus all my energy on the maths exams in April with course work and A level exams in a couple of months! Fingers crossed they would be very flexible with the maths..
Yes, I thought it all through and I'm down to sit the exams in July so I could still give it a shot, but I didn't want to focus all my energy on the maths exams in April with course work and A level exams in a couple of months! Fingers crossed they would be very flexible with the maths..

Well if you have time then don't back out now. Get your A-levels out of the way and cram the maths afterwards.

OMG, don't go anywhere near SME, they charge you thousands and really it is not worth it. Just take a look at the comments on the various boards.
(edited 7 years ago)
It seems like Plovdiv and Pleven are those most associated with the English Medicine course, and after speaking to a representative from SME on the phone, Plovdiv was the one which stood out for me.

Ok...it's just Sofia Medical University is much more prestigious in Bulgaria...
Reply 8
Well if you have time then don't back out now. Get your A-levels out of the way and cram the maths afterwards.

OMG, don't go anywhere near SME, they charge you thousands and really it is not worth it. Just take a look at the comments on the various boards. You can use a free agency for Pleven like i did and SME is just one guy called Aris who has caused a lot of problems for so many unsuspecting students!

Woah don't worry I wouldn't do that, I'm with the free agency but I like getting free information haha!
Woah don't worry I wouldn't do that, I'm with the free agency but I like getting free information haha!

You clearly are smart, bet you will have no problem with the czech exams on the day!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm glad someone put that picture up about Sofia University! I've gotten my offer from Pleven and am glad I didn't have to spend ridiculous amounts to do so!
(edited 7 years ago)

Wow, I thought SME was a legit thing after looking at there website, good thing I got into a med school in UK!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
I am considering Pleven as a back up for Czech Universities just like "Cooliomed". But wonder if they allow deferred entry?
Hi there!

I attended an SME open day a couple of days ago and i was really impressed.. but maybe I was just fooled! I am in two minds now after hearing this about SME. I am also interested in Pleven because of the Feb start date.. which free agency did you apply through?

Zara :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
That's awesome, I will check them out right now! SME sound so convincing omg!!! I've heard Inter HECS is good too? X
(edited 7 years ago)
HECS are equally dodgy. Basically avoid any agency asking for your precious thousands!

If they didmd sound convincing then they wouldn't be able to fool so many people to hand over so much cash so they can run off with it!
(edited 7 years ago)
You pay the university tuition fees when you are going to a uni. You do not have to pay an agent. I have been researching this since last year and have gone through what you are now experiencing

The only fees I have paid so far are for Czech entrance exams and these are small amounts in reality.

I got my offer for Pleven without spending a penny. If I go then I will have to do some legal work which will cost about £300 I reckon but that is it.
(edited 7 years ago)
You pay the university tuition fees when you are going to a uni. You do not have to pay an agent. I have been researching this since last year and have gone through what you are now experiencing

The only fees I have paid so far are for Czech entrance exams and these are small amounts in reality.

I got my offer for Pleven without spending a penny. If I go then I will have to do some legal work which will cost about £300 I reckon but that is it.

Well done for the offer! Did you not have to go through any interviews because there are no entrance examinations?
Original post by zarakhan100
Oh dear!!! 😔

So does Medical Doorway not charge you anything? How does that work for tuition fees? Thank you for your help I am a Newbie and the first to consider Med School in my family so need all the advice I can get. Lol

I gave up checking up on advice from others on student room once I got into Med school but have only recently got back on to get in touch with fellow students. I ended up going through Medical Doorway based on convincing posts and threads on student room and all I can say was that I've been so upset with the service they are giving me and I don't want an study abroad applicants to be just as upset as I am. I suggest you do your own research etc. on the different universities and agencies yourself rather than relying on advice from others. Speaking to current students (which I never did and realised only once I got in) is the best way forward.
Hey apologies for the intrusion guys, I just wanted to ask:

Would studying med/dent in elsewhere in Europe have any effect on my prospects as a Junior Dr/dentist back in the UK?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest