The Student Room Group

First Car - Corsa or Clio?

Scroll to see replies

What are the mileage and years of the cars?
Original post by Emma:-)
Id go for a micra.
They are bomb proof.

Yes !!! Micra's are bulletproof and they are literally so reliable ! If you knock into a lamppost it's the lamppost you have to worry about 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both HORRIBLE first cars. Go Yaris.
Original post by Jedders
Buy Japanese or Korean if you want something cheap and reliable.

My first car was a VW Polo 2001 and it was garbage. In under a month the electric windows and central locking stopped working, when ever it was really cold the starter motor would squeal when started, and if it's frosty outside the door lock would freeze and you'd have to force the key into the door to open it. It was also so basic with no air conditioning, no CD player, despite lots of other cars from that year having both of those features. And this was a car with full service history and 51k miles. Garbage! My car is now a 2002 Honda Civic, which is a tank!

Just because you don't know much about cars doesn't mean yours was garbage! Central locking and windows were most likely either bad wiring or modules, both of which are reasonably cheap to fix if you get a bit handy with some tools. And if you'd done any research at all before you bought the car you'd have known that windows and doors can be problematic on that era VW. As for the "starter motor" squealing, that was probably the alternator belt. Two minutes with a spanner and it would have gone away. Also, if you buy a base model, then expect base model specs! The Polo is the povvo model out of VW's lineup, and while you can get models with those features they definitely weren't standard on the Polo at that time. My 2002 Passat didn't even come with a factory CD player, although it did have a factory CD changer. And glorious climate control.
Reply 24
I have a corsa, albeit a newer model that you're thinking of. Mine is so reliable and I absolutely love it.

Two of my friends have older clios and really like them.

I would say buy the car that is the better deal - so maybe better mileage, better condition, better additions (radio/ air con etc) and the car that will retain its value better. In terms of the actual manufacturer, people are going to have favourites, so if you like both just find the best deal you can whichever model.

I would 100% say you need to get a 1.2 or higher - any lower than that and you find yourself having to chug up a hill in 1st because the poor car can't possibly manage it any other way. I felt like I was getting nowhere in a 1.0, and always had my foot flat down on the accelerator, whilst pissing off the mile long queue of traffic behind me because I literally could not go any faster. Okay so maybe a slight exaggeration, but definitely go for 1.2! :tongue:
Which shape corsa? I had both B and C, they were good cars until I wrapped them around lamp posts
Original post by Chez231
Yes !!! Micra's are bulletproof and they are literally so reliable ! If you knock into a lamppost it's the lamppost you have to worry about 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they may have reliable engines but they're tin cans - you wouldn't want tonne in a crash in one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
No they may have reliable engines but they're tin cans - you wouldn't want tonne in a crash in one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you're a decent driver

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a Corsa 1.2 Design 2007 - 2 door , I love it so much !!! Such a nifty car that will get me anywhere and such good handle on it ! Always reliable and not had any problems so far !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a 2003 Corsa Elegance 5 door. Cost around 900 quid and has about 60,000 miles. It's still going strong despite being a teenager and is great for short journeys and town driving. Really easy to drive, basically can do everything in third gear lol, although power wise obviously it's poo. Exceed 70mph and the engine basically sings an opera song. Badly. It's a perfect first car though, and cheap to run. Will upgrade to something better once I've got more driving experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Personally I'd pick the Corsa over the Clio any day, but then I'd pick a VW over both of these! :-)
Those mentioning they got FIAT's;
FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow ;-)

PlGLET

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending