The Student Room Group

Deferring post-offer / re-applying to unis who gave offers

I'm a mature student who's returned to do A-Levels and have received three uni offers for 2016.

I was hoping to do a gap year to travel after the degree, but have just found out Australia has an age limit for their work-holiday visa.

By the time I graduate, I'll meet that limit. It's therefore a 'now or never' opportunity, so I'm thinking of taking the gap year next year instead.

A) How amenable are universities to deferral requests *after* they've made an offer?

B) If they don't accept post-offer deferrals and I turn withdraw my application, how amenable are universities to someone re-applying?
Original post by stratagems
I'm a mature student who's returned to do A-Levels and have received three uni offers for 2016.

I was hoping to do a gap year to travel after the degree, but have just found out Australia has an age limit for their work-holiday visa.

By the time I graduate, I'll meet that limit. It's therefore a 'now or never' opportunity, so I'm thinking of taking the gap year next year instead.

A) How amenable are universities to deferral requests *after* they've made an offer?

B) If they don't accept post-offer deferrals and I turn withdraw my application, how amenable are universities to someone re-applying?

Both of these are common and universities deal with them as routine requests. If you reapply then it's worth remembering that entry requirements can be increased and dealing with requests for interviews/online applications etc while traveling can be difficult (you'll also need to apply for student finance around this time next year including sending off hard copy evidence in most cases).

Generally the best option is to ask to defer your offers now. Then IF you do well in your results in August withdraw and reapply otherwise hold on to the place you have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending