The Student Room Group

Quitting D of E a good idea?

My school took us on the first weekend for D of E (training weekend) a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely awful! I think it was mainly because I'm quite an 'outdoorsy' person and most of the stuff we did on that weekend I already knew or had already done in the past and I was missing something I really wanted to do instead. My next two weekends also collide with two other things that I really want to do and honestly I don't know whether it's worth it. Obviously, I wouldn't get the deposit back but I don't want to pay any further money for something I am unlikely to enjoy! But is it a good idea to quit when I've already got the training out the way? Are D of E awards useful in the future? Will they help me get into sixth form or a uni?

Please comment if you have done D of E or know anything about the practice and final expeditions! Thank you!
if you quit you'll be forever remembered as a quitter
Reply 2
Original post by chemistrybro
if you quit you'll be forever remembered as a quitter

I'm moving school at the end of this year so honestly that's not a worry but it might bug myself in the future!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
1) Split your room in half. One is for 'yes', the other, 'no'
2) Spin at the centre for about 10 minutes with a pen in hand
3) Throw pen high in air and stop spinning
4) Whatever half it falls in means you must obey the universe

-The one who found inner peace
I doubt it's something you'll have regrets about later lol.
Just quit if it's not for you - it will not help you for sixth form or uni or whatever since everybody seems to have the qualification. DofE is more for personal satisfaction/enjoyment instead. :h:
Original post by dulchieb
My school took us on the first weekend for D of E (training weekend) a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely awful! I think it was mainly because I'm quite an 'outdoorsy' person and most of the stuff we did on that weekend I already knew or had already done in the past and I was missing something I really wanted to do instead. My next two weekends also collide with two other things that I really want to do and honestly I don't know whether it's worth it. Obviously, I wouldn't get the deposit back but I don't want to pay any further money for something I am unlikely to enjoy! But is it a good idea to quit when I've already got the training out the way? Are D of E awards useful in the future? Will they help me get into sixth form or a uni?

Please comment if you have done D of E or know anything about the practice and final expeditions! Thank you!

It sounds like you're doing DofE for how it'll look on your CV - to be honest, it really doesn't matter much to universities. Maybe for medicine a DofE Gold would be seen as a nice addition, but you certainly won't be regarded very differently for having an award; it's the grades and how they perceive you in the interview that counts the most. So, in short, I would recommend you quit it.
Original post by dulchieb

If you can relate it to your course or future job prospects then not really
then again i do it just because it's just an achievement which looks nice and i want all 3 badges from bronze silver and gold so yea that's why i do it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending