The Student Room Group

Which universities should I be applying to?

Hi,

I'm new :smile: Just looking for some input from anyone that knows more about all this really...

I was a lazy git in school and although i've always been fairly bright i got the following A levels: IT (B), Physics (D) and Maths (U at A2 - C at AS).

Anyway, I've worked since, gaining some work related IT qualifications along the way. But after growing up a bit and actually thinking about what i want out of life, i decided i want to get myself a degree to open up opportunities that just arn't there for non-graduates.

I want to study either Maths or Economics, at the best Uni i can get into ideally, but I appreciate that these are competitive courses and i may need to be a bit open minded.

I am now in the middle of resitting my Maths A2 which ive been studying since Feb in my spare time/between temp jobs. Presuming i get an A, it would give me 280 UCAS points. What sort of 'tier' of university do you think i should be applying for?

Does my age (will be 23 when applying) and work experience/qualifications mean that i can 'punch above my weight' in terms of UCAS points? or will they not look at it like that as i didn't do well first time around and i'm not really that old for a mature student?

Obviously the UCAS application will have sway over this as well as perhaps interviews, but i'm just looking for a general idea from people?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Chris777
Hi,

I'm new :smile: Just looking for some input from anyone that knows more about all this really...

I was a lazy git in school and although i've always been fairly bright i got the following A levels: IT (B), Physics (D) and Maths (U at A2 - C at AS).

Anyway, I've worked since, gaining some work related IT qualifications along the way. But after growing up a bit and actually thinking about what i want out of life, i decided i want to get myself a degree to open up opportunities that just arn't there for non-graduates.

I want to study either Maths or Economics, at the best Uni i can get into ideally, but I appreciate that these are competitive courses and i may need to be a bit open minded.

I am now in the middle of resitting my Maths A2 which ive been studying since Feb in my spare time/between temp jobs. Presuming i get an A, it would give me 280 UCAS points. What sort of 'tier' of university do you think i should be applying for?

Does my age (will be 23 when applying) and work experience/qualifications mean that i can 'punch above my weight' in terms of UCAS points? or will they not look at it like that as i didn't do well first time around and i'm not really that old for a mature student?

Obviously the UCAS application will have sway over this as well as perhaps interviews, but i'm just looking for a general idea from people?

Thanks.

go for places like City, sheffield, royal holloway..possibly queen mary..i doubt ur age will count against u because uve been doing other things and not jus sittin around..u said u gained some qualifications in IT, that will look good, an A in A2 Maths will definately help!
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, do you think it will make much difference if i get a B in Maths? C4 this morning has ruined my plans for an A i think. That's what you get for trying to learn it all in 3 days :frown:

Do you think Manchester is out of the question university wise? Does anyone else have any experience of someone in a similar position to me?

Latest

Trending

Trending