The Student Room Group

Dentistry

Hey everyone, I am in s6 and I'm really keen on studying dentistry at Glasgow uni, however I never took higher maths in s5, instead I'm taking it this year , alongside AH biolgy and AH chemistry, does this put me at a major disadvantage for receiving an offer? I phoned up and the woman said it did not but i'm still not convinced as in my mind i believe they are much more likely to take someone who did higher maths in s5, rather than someone who did it in s6. Additionally i was looking at Dundee unis entry requirements for dentistry and they made no mention of needing higher maths! Does this mean higher maths is not needed or do they just assume you will do/have higher maths? I want nothing more than to not do higher maths as i am so terrible at it and it really stresses me out, to the point were i break down in tears, so dropping the subject would be ideal but again this is probably putting me at a huge disadvantage right? I would greatly appreciate all the help/advice/information i can get, thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by aJ_99
Hey everyone, I am in s6 and I'm really keen on studying dentistry at Glasgow uni, however I never took higher maths in s5, instead I'm taking it this year , alongside AH biolgy and AH chemistry, does this put me at a major disadvantage for receiving an offer? I phoned up and the woman said it did not but i'm still not convinced as in my mind i believe they are much more likely to take someone who did higher maths in s5, rather than someone who did it in s6. Additionally i was looking at Dundee unis entry requirements for dentistry and they made no mention of needing higher maths! Does this mean higher maths is not needed or do they just assume you will do/have higher maths? I want nothing more than to not do higher maths as i am so terrible at it and it really stresses me out, to the point were i break down in tears, so dropping the subject would be ideal but again this is probably putting me at a huge disadvantage right? I would greatly appreciate all the help/advice/information i can get, thank you.

I'm pretty sure you don't even need maths? If it isn't on the requirements then you won't be at a disadvantage whatsoever. I don't have maths A level, in fact i only have a B in GCSE maths, and i don't know many in my year who have maths/further maths a level tbh. Chem and biol are most important.

Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths are not the magic formula for dentistry or indeed any healthcare degree. It is much more down to you as a person and your personal statement, UCKAT, work experience and voluntary works etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kartace
I'm pretty sure you don't even need maths? If it isn't on the requirements then you won't be at a disadvantage whatsoever. I don't have maths A level, in fact i only have a B in GCSE maths, and i don't know many in my year who have maths/further maths a level tbh. Chem and biol are most important.

Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths are not the magic formula for dentistry or indeed any healthcare degree. It is much more down to you as a person and your personal statement, UCKAT, work experience and voluntary works etc.

I'm relived to hear that if it doesn't have maths in the entry requirements and me not taking it does not put me at a disadvantage! Ah well I'm from Scotland, and the only unis that are near enough to where I live are Glasgow uni, which do require maths, and Dundee uni, which doesn't. Yeah you're right, I guess although good grades are important, the additional stuff you mentioned is equally valuable. Very worried for the Ukcat tho, but thankfully I still have some time to practice and prepare for it! Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest