The Student Room Group

What is the best thing to do HELP!

Hi,
I really want to be a nurse.. after months of research I've decided that it's definitely what I want to do.
However a few months ago I applied to uni to do midwifery. I got 1 out of 5 offers which is good but I'm unhappy because it's at the university I really don't want to go to (and I'm no longer sure midwifery is for me) it means having to live at home and the majority of people on my course are in their late 20's or early 30's. I'm not saying I no longer want to be a midwife, but I think it's something I might consider later after becoming a nurse. I am an NHS volunteer and have experience working in wards. Id love to work in the A&E department or go into practice nursing. The problem is I have the tiniest chance of getting into university for adult nursing in 2016. My alternative is to apply for uni's that have places for April 2017 entry and to reject my midwifery offer. I'm just scared that I'm going to regret making this decision.
I know it's bad, but I'm 18 and I do want to go to uni to have a bit of fun outside studying, to live independently and make new friends. I wouldn't be able to do this as well living at home.
I've considered doing an alternative degree such as psychology but I feel that this will definitely be a waste of time and money.
I also have interests in paramedic science and mental health nursing... but I know that I'll still want to work in nursing. If you work in either of these professions can you make the choice to go onto do something different and study as an adult nurse?
Sorry for the long post but I'm really struggling to decide what is the best thing to do.
Thank you very much for any advice!
I agree that studying a subject you're not interested in would be a waste of time and money. You clearly want to do nursing, so I think you're right to question whether midwifery is such a good idea. If I were in your situation, I would re-apply for Nursing for the 2017 entry. You're very young, waiting a year might seem like a long time but it absolutely isn't. Use the time to get more work experience, maybe become a HCA in the meantime?
Reply 2
I think what might bother her is the fees that she'll be facing if starting in 2017... I would go for it, I wasn t sure between adult nursing and midwifery, I know how hard is to get in the latter!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending