The Student Room Group

Will I still be able to get maintenance loans and grants?

In 2014, I went to university to study Creative Writing and English Language but left after just a couple of months; I was struggling with depression and anxiety before going but things got worse and I wasn't able to cope. A few months after I left, I got a letter from Student Finance telling me that I'd been overpaid on my maintenance loan and grant and need to pay back an amount in excess of £4,500. I've been paying little bits of it off each month but nothing really substantial.

My main concern is now I want to go to a different university to study Indie Games Development - but I'm worried that the amount I still owe is going to be taken from anything I'm entitled to (that's if SFE will fund me at all) and I won't be able to live for the first year of my course.

Will there be provisions in place to allow me to still receive the full amount I'm entitled to but carry on repaying the overpayment?
Reply 1
I think SFE gives you a spare year, where if things don't go to plan, like you resit your or change course, they will fund you, so I think they will still fund you, but if you are applying for 2016/17 year then you need to apply ASAP, I don't think the money you owe will be taken from your new loan and grant, I think it will just be added on as before, you had left your course early so they wanted their money, but now your going back to them, I think they will just stop the repayments until you finish the new course, I THINK, that is, I would still check with them, just give them a ring early in the morning, they're always really friendly.
Original post by mikeymk
I think SFE gives you a spare year, where if things don't go to plan, like you resit your or change course, they will fund you, so I think they will still fund you, but if you are applying for 2016/17 year then you need to apply ASAP, I don't think the money you owe will be taken from your new loan and grant, I think it will just be added on as before, you had left your course early so they wanted their money, but now your going back to them, I think they will just stop the repayments until you finish the new course, I THINK, that is, I would still check with them, just give them a ring early in the morning, they're always really friendly.

Thanks, I really hope that's the case. I'll ring them first thing tomorrow.
My entitlement for the first year would probably end up being something really stupid like £800, which wouldn't even pay four months' rent - let alone feed me! I went to an Open Day for my university yesterday and the finance talk mentioned that the maximum amount you can get now is £8,200. Wasn't it about £7,400 or something a couple of years ago?
Reply 3
Original post by MidnightCarnival
Thanks, I really hope that's the case. I'll ring them first thing tomorrow.
My entitlement for the first year would probably end up being something really stupid like £800, which wouldn't even pay four months' rent - let alone feed me! I went to an Open Day for my university yesterday and the finance talk mentioned that the maximum amount you can get now is £8,200. Wasn't it about £7,400 or something a couple of years ago?

Oh I forgot about the Student Grant, last year there was talk about getting rid of student grants but increasing the amount of student loan you can apply for, I'm not sure if it went ahead, but if so, I think it would be for 2016/17 year entry onwards, but I hope not for your sake, the maintenance grant is so helpful, even £800 would be something, but also check with your uni of choice if they have a bursary programme, Manchester has one where they give upto £3,000 depending on your parents income.
Also, just so you know, the deadline for SFE was the end of May, but they call it a deadline and it isn't as such as you can still apply, its just you may not get you loan through on the first week of uni coz of the delay.
There are no student grants any more. It's just all loans now.

You get length of course + 1 - previous years study
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending