The Student Room Group

BTEC in public services

Advice on whether to do this and how it is assessed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey, I've just finished my first year of the extended diploma with D*D, and overall I've really enjoyed it! Most of your assignments are theory based, such as essays, group discussions and presentations. There are also quite a few practical assesments depeding on which units you do.
If you're looking at joining the Army, Navy, RAF etc in the future then I'd say its good course to go for. I'm hoping to join the police but I'll also have enough UCAS points to go to uni if I want to study a degree (At the end of first year I've already got 200 UCAS points). I've also done lots of fitness which means I've lost a lot of weight and my fitness is at a much better level thanks to the course.

Hope this helps you out a bit!!
Reply 2
Original post by chocciemilkshake
Hey, I've just finished my first year of the extended diploma with D*D, and overall I've really enjoyed it! Most of your assignments are theory based, such as essays, group discussions and presentations. There are also quite a few practical assesments depeding on which units you do.
If you're looking at joining the Army, Navy, RAF etc in the future then I'd say its good course to go for. I'm hoping to join the police but I'll also have enough UCAS points to go to uni if I want to study a degree (At the end of first year I've already got 200 UCAS points). I've also done lots of fitness which means I've lost a lot of weight and my fitness is at a much better level thanks to the course.

Hope this helps you out a bit!!

that was exactly the answer i was hoping for! I think I'm swaying towards the police force like you and want to go to uni. I was also thinking of doing an a level in law along side this. Would you recommend this or is the work load and deadlines quite heavy??

EDIT: Also I'm not very good at sport:') but I'm in to fitness (e.g gym) so will being not so good at sports limit my chances of not getting top grades?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I'd say work load is fine, but make sure you spread your assignments over the year and not a mad rush in the last 5 weeks to complete everything as most of my class did!! Getting everything done asap is good, especially if you're considering doing an A level along side. At least then you should have plenty of time to focus on the A level.

Very much doubt you'll be at a disadvantage, sport wise I was exactly the same. There is one unit about practical team sports but we didnt do that. Our fitness one was about fitness training so we had a fitness lesson and a theory lesson each week to cover that unit. The practical assesments are mainly in Unit 2 (Teamwork & Leadership) and the Expedition, Land based and Water-based units.
Reply 4
I'd say work load is fine, but make sure you spread your assignments over the year and not a mad rush in the last 5 weeks to complete everything as most of my class did!! Getting everything done asap is good, especially if you're considering doing an A level along side. At least then you should have plenty of time to focus on the A level.

Very much doubt you'll be at a disadvantage, sport wise I was exactly the same. There is one unit about practical team sports but we didnt do that. Our fitness one was about fitness training so we had a fitness lesson and a theory lesson each week to cover that unit. The practical assesments are mainly in Unit 2 (Teamwork & Leadership) and the Expedition, Land based and Water-based units.

do you know what the unit about the practical team sport is called? just so i can check whether I'm doing it or not... we do quite a few practicals i think:')
Reply 5
I think practical team sports is unit 30. What other units are you doing?
Reply 6
image.jpeg
I think practical team sports is unit 30. What other units are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending