The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Chemical Engineering 2017 Applicants Thread

UCAS Deadline for Oxbridge/Medicine: 15th October 2016 18:00
UCAS Deadline: 17th January 2017 18:00

Hi there, don't think anyone's started a thread for Chemical Engineering applicants for 2017 entry so thought I'll start one. There's a few links below which I hope will be helpful for people to get started with and feel free to tell me if there's anything I should add.
I just finished my A2 exams and I'm taking a gap year to apply for Chemical Engineering so I guess I'll have to see what I get on results day. :redface: I'm curious as to what courses/universities everyone's looking at but feel free to ask any questions and talk about applying for Chemical Engineering! :smile: (And yes, I'm using Comic Sans...deal with it)

Cambridge Website: Why Study Chemical Engineering?
Why Not Chem Eng
WhichUni - Chemical Engineering

Various League Tables for Chemical Engineering:
The Complete University Guide - 2017
Guardian League Table - 2017
QS Top Universities - 2016 (Note: You can filter by location to just the U.K.)

Popular Chemical Engineering Courses:
Note: Most of the courses below are MEng degrees but most of the universities also offer BEng degrees. The entry requirements shown are the requirements for a MEng degree. Typically, the entry requirements for a BEng degree is lower (AAB instead of AAA).

Key:
Interview/Visit Day Required for Offer
No Interview/Visit Day Required for Offer

University of Cambridge (Entry Requirements: A*A*A):

Spoiler

Imperial College London (Entry Requirements: A*A*AA/A*A*A):

Spoiler

University of Bath (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

University of Birmingham (Entry Requirements: A*AA/AAAA):

Spoiler

University of Edinburgh (Entry Requirements: AAA or A*AA in One Sitting for Direct Second Year Entry):

Spoiler

University of Manchester (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Newcastle University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Loughborough University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Nottingham (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Leeds (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

Lancaster University (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

Swansea University (Entry Requirements: AAA-AAB):

Spoiler

University of Aberdeen (Entry Requirements: ABB):

Spoiler

University of Sheffield (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University of Surrey (Entry Requirements: AAA):

Spoiler

University College London (Entry Requirements: A*AA):

Spoiler

University of Bradford (Entry Requirements: AAB):

Spoiler

I'll add more in the upcoming few days. Please let me know if some of the links are wrong. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile:
I've been switching back and forth between studying maths and chemical engineering, but most likely going to do chemical engineering. I think I'll be applying to UCL, Imperial, Bath, Newcastle but I don't know for the 5th option :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey thanks for makong this thread I just decided on doing chemical engineering or chemistry and feel this is a good source of info

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by blck&burgundy
Hi :smile:
I've been switching back and forth between studying maths and chemical engineering, but most likely going to do chemical engineering. I think I'll be applying to UCL, Imperial, Bath, Newcastle but I don't know for the 5th option :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might be a bit biased but why not consider Cambridge? :biggrin:

They are all solid choices; I would also have a look at Birmingham, Edinburgh and Manchester. You can also go down one of the league tables and have a look at all the unis that offer Chemical Engineering.
Reply 4
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
hey thanks for makong this thread I just decided on doing chemical engineering or chemistry and feel this is a good source of info

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I actually applied for chemistry this year (my A2 year) but I decided later into the year that I wanted to study ChemEng instead so I'm now taking a gap year and reapplying. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
oh I want to apply to both is that possible would I not be able to write a specific enough personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll (hopefully) be applying for 2017 entry. Look forward to chatting with you all over the coming months!
Reply 7
oh I want to apply to both is that possible would I not be able to write a specific enough personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose it would be possible depending on how you word things. You can definitely make links between chemistry and chemical engineering but it is important that you understand the differences between them. Most courses in chemical engineering contains very little to almost no chemistry and therefore going into detail into some aspects of chemistry or chemical engineering might go against you in the other subject. Especially if you do get invited to an interview, you must be able to show why you're passionate about that subject and not the other. I would say that some safe topics to talk about that can apply to both courses would be topics such as thermodynamics, kinetics and equilibria; essentially the physical chemistry side of things as that would be the most applicable to a chemical engineering course as well. Good luck tho!
Reply 8
Original post by richpanda
I'll (hopefully) be applying for 2017 entry. Look forward to chatting with you all over the coming months!

I look forward to it too! :smile:

*fingers crossed for Results Day* 😂
Original post by NeverLucky
I look forward to it too! :smile:

*fingers crossed for Results Day* 😂

What are you going to be doing in your gap year?
What are you going to be doing in your gap year?

I've managed to secure a YINI placement for the year so I'm basically gonna work for the whole year. It's likely I won't finish until the start of September and if my uni doesn't start until October, I'm thinking of spending a few weeks in a building/disaster relief project in Nepal or somewhere.
I'm also thinking I might learn something like Java programming and I recently decided I wanted to learn the violin tho I'm not sure if I'll be able to learn it without a teacher :redface:

Are you going into your A2 year?
I think you probly can learn an instrumemt with free time and dedication to that instrument all about practice practuce practice and constantly trying to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you probly can learn an instrumemt with free time and dedication to that instrument all about practice practuce practice and constantly trying to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recently did my Grade 7 Piano so I'm sound with all the music theory and sight-reading etc. It's just things like specific techniques and correct posture that would be hard to learn by myself.
oh wont b too bad simce you already have some music knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeverLucky
I've managed to secure a YINI placement for the year so I'm basically gonna work for the whole year. It's likely I won't finish until the start of September and if my uni doesn't start until October, I'm thinking of spending a few weeks in a building/disaster relief project in Nepal or somewhere.
I'm also thinking I might learn something like Java programming and I recently decided I wanted to learn the violin tho I'm not sure if I'll be able to learn it without a teacher :redface:

Are you going into your A2 year?

Ah cool, what's a YINI?

Yes I'm starting A2 in september, I finished earlier this week. I'll be doing maths, physics and chemistry.
Ah cool, what's a YINI?

Yes I'm starting A2 in september, I finished earlier this week. I'll be doing maths, physics and chemistry.

oh im doing the same except biology instead of physics (thinking about picking up physics AS though)
I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester. Still unsure on 5tth :/
Original post by OGFakiie
I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester. Still unsure on 5tth :/

Bath? Newcastle? Aston?
Reply 19
Ah cool, what's a YINI?

Year In Industry
http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

Quick Reply

Latest