The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timster32
Based on feedback from students, I think that a few years ago, UCL were really bad for chem eng because the department didn't really care too much about the students but I think that in the last year or so the department has improved. I wouldn't say it's as good as Imperial, Cambridge, Bath, Manchester, Birmingham, etc but at a university like UCL, they can't really be "bad" so it's fine I guess. If you want to be a good engineer or an engineer then you should probably look elsewhere, but if not hen UCL's reputation and location should be enough to sway you. What Unis are you applying to and have you received an offer from UCL yet?

Thanks! I'm a med applicant lol, UCL as my fifth choice... Mainly because I love the uni. Been waiting since 14th october for UCL to reply:angry: and nothing yet. I did however receive an offer last year at the end of feb after sending my application at the same time.
What about you?
Original post by Rifdhy
Thanks! I'm a med applicant lol, UCL as my fifth choice... Mainly because I love the uni. Been waiting since 14th october for UCL to reply:angry: and nothing yet. I did however receive an offer last year at the end of feb after sending my application at the same time.
What about you?

Ohh I see, which med schools are you applying to, I'm guessing mainly London ones? Yeah I applied to UCL on the 19th October so waiting until February is very annoying. Last year?? What were you predicted last year and this year and how come you are applying again for medicine and chem eng at UCL again this year if you got an offer last year.
Ohh I see, which med schools are you applying to, I'm guessing mainly London ones? Yeah I applied to UCL on the 19th October so waiting until February is very annoying. Last year?? What were you predicted last year and this year and how come you are applying again for medicine and chem eng at UCL again this year if you got an offer last year.

Kings',St Georges,Qmul and imperial... wbu?
I was predicted AAA, and achieved A*AA. I met my UCL offer of AAA, but I decided against it. I received 4 pre-interview rejections for med last year. Although I don't mind ChemEng and love UCL I thought it was best to take a gap year, make most use of it and reapply again this year. I'll take whatever offer I get this year tho.
Original post by Rifdhy
Kings',St Georges,Qmul and imperial... wbu?
I was predicted AAA, and achieved A*AA. I met my UCL offer of AAA, but I decided against it. I received 4 pre-interview rejections for med last year. Although I don't mind ChemEng and love UCL I thought it was best to take a gap year, make most use of it and reapply again this year. I'll take whatever offer I get this year tho.

Oh fair enough, I'm only applying for chem eng at Imperial, UCL, Manchetser, Nottingham and Edinburgh and I am predicted A*AAA but since I got rejected by Imperial, UCL is now my first choice. Wow four rejections, did the Unis give you any feedback, isn't AAA the minimum requirement for medicine?? How come your not applying to UCL for medicine, unless one of the medical schools you mentioned is part of UCL? Also why did UCL take so long to reply to you even though you met the entry requirements with your predicted grades (last year)?
Oh fair enough, I'm only applying for chem eng at Imperial, UCL, Manchetser, Nottingham and Edinburgh and I am predicted A*AAA but since I got rejected by Imperial, UCL is now my first choice. Wow four rejections, did the Unis give you any feedback, isn't AAA the minimum requirement for medicine?? How come your not applying to UCL for medicine, unless one of the medical schools you mentioned is part of UCL? Also why did UCL take so long to reply to you even though you met the entry requirements with your predicted grades (last year)?

Ahh don't worry about the imperial rejection but best of luck with the rest! Heard anything from them?
AAA is the minimum but I got rejected for apparently different reasons. Cardiff - GCSEs (I got 6 A*s), Imperial - bmat, UCL - predicted, Keele - didn't mention. UCL require an A* for bio or chem, which, unfortunately due to courseworks/CA, I don't have.
I guess for ChemEng; UCL saw my medicine personal statement, then requested a ChemEng PS if I met their requirements. I think they put me in some sort of 'back up' pool and give that out later. I knew a few chemEng applicants who applied after me and got offers before me although their stats were a lot worse than mine. So that's how I think it worked out?
Original post by Rifdhy
Ahh don't worry about the imperial rejection but best of luck with the rest! Heard anything from them?
AAA is the minimum but I got rejected for apparently different reasons. Cardiff - GCSEs (I got 6 A*s), Imperial - bmat, UCL - predicted, Keele - didn't mention. UCL require an A* for bio or chem, which, unfortunately due to courseworks/CA, I don't have.
I guess for ChemEng; UCL saw my medicine personal statement, then requested a ChemEng PS if I met their requirements. I think they put me in some sort of 'back up' pool and give that out later. I knew a few chemEng applicants who applied after me and got offers before me although their stats were a lot worse than mine. So that's how I think it worked out?

Yeah tbh I don't think I would have been able to cope with the workload at Imperial. Yeah I've got offers from Manchetser, Nottingham and Edinburgh but I would prefer to stay in London tbh. Medicine must be impossibly competitive because I can't imagine that many insanely smart people wanting to go to a Uni like Cardiff, not that there's anything wrong with the uni... (I got 6A*s as well btw, not proud of them). Ahh that's unfortunate, by worse stats what do you mean, gcses or predicted? Yeah I don't think UCL are really in a position to reject too many people because of the reputation that they have currently for Chem Eng. Btw, do you think the rejections could also have had anything to do with extra curricular a or some because surely your a standard medicine applicant and your academics are good enough!!
Yeah tbh I don't think I would have been able to cope with the workload at Imperial. Yeah I've got offers from Manchetser, Nottingham and Edinburgh but I would prefer to stay in London tbh. Medicine must be impossibly competitive because I can't imagine that many insanely smart people wanting to go to a Uni like Cardiff, not that there's anything wrong with the uni... (I got 6A*s as well btw, not proud of them). Ahh that's unfortunate, by worse stats what do you mean, gcses or predicted? Yeah I don't think UCL are really in a position to reject too many people because of the reputation that they have currently for Chem Eng. Btw, do you think the rejections could also have had anything to do with extra curricular a or some because surely your a standard medicine applicant and your academics are good enough!!

Apparently UCL ChemEng department is improving, hopefully that's correct.
Worse in both regards.
I do have WE and have volunteered enough I think, not the most or best by any means. Well, Cardiff and Imperial have a cut-off so if you don't meet them you get an instant rejection like I did. Maybe UCL and Keele, who knows
Original post by Rifdhy
Apparently UCL ChemEng department is improving, hopefully that's correct.
Worse in both regards.
I do have WE and have volunteered enough I think, not the most or best by any means. Well, Cardiff and Imperial have a cut-off so if you don't meet them you get an instant rejection like I did. Maybe UCL and Keele, who knows

Yeah I hope it's true too. Oh well good luck to you with your applications, hopefully youll get all five offers this year!!
Yeah I hope it's true too. Oh well good luck to you with your applications, hopefully youll get all five offers this year!!

Thanks mate, best of luck!
Bath or Surrey for an insurance choice??
Edinburgh or Manchester for chemeng ? Why is one better than the other?
e.g
student life
Reputation uk & international
Facilities sport & academic
Cost of living
Uni bursary
Graduate prospects
Intensity of the course

Original post by Tmann1125
Bath or Surrey for an insurance choice??

Bath is considered much better than Surrey. However, it depends what your firm choice is and whether you think you'll get the grades for Bath as an insurance??
Loughborough or Sheffield for an insurance choice for chem eng?
Original post by munchkin1212
Has anyone had a Loughborough interview? I have mine on Wednesday. What should I expect and do I need to prepare?

How was it?
Original post by Lebonvie
How was it?

It was alright thanks. I don't think my interviewer liked me much but apart from that it was a nice day haha.
It was alright thanks. I don't think my interviewer liked me much but apart from that it was a nice day haha.

How were the questions, was it challenging or just kind of getting to know you more?
Original post by Lebonvie
How were the questions, was it challenging or just kind of getting to know you more?

It varied massively between interviewers. There were some on my personal statement and then I had questions about a practical I'd done in school and another technical question. Some people had like 3 questions about their personal statement and that was it.
It varied massively between interviewers. There were some on my personal statement and then I had questions about a practical I'd done in school and another technical question. Some people had like 3 questions about their personal statement and that was it.

Ah decent, thanks a lot bud!
Notts or Manchester for firm?

Loughborough or Surrey for insurance?

Student from London....
Has anyone heard back from UCL yet?

The wait has truly been unbearable.

Quick Reply

Latest