The Student Room Group

University

I've been suffering from really high anxiety for the past few years, and the other day I finally plucked up the courage to see the doctor about it (I also have pretty bad bouts of depression some days, but i didn't mention this). He agreed that there was a problem and said it was probably Generalised Anxiety Disorder, but said that I should wait till I go to Uni in September and see if things are still just as bad before getting an official diagnosis or anything.

My problem is that I didn't say anything about this - the anxiety or the depression - on my UCAS form, so I was wondering whether a uni will be able to do much to help if I just suddenly turn round and say 'Oh, I need you to help me out with this.'

I was only asking as, when I was doing my A2s, I was basically in a constant state of illness and insomnia, and I think that will have affected my results a lot (so obviously I don't want anything like this to happen at uni).
Reply 1
Uni will treat yo uthe same as if you had told them on the UCAS form so long as you provide them with an official diagnosis when you get it.
Reply 2
Your Uni should have a Disability Section and you should register with them and they will be able to take you througheverything that you need
Reply 3
Geetar I would recommend contacting the Uni's disability centre before starting. You have nothing to lose, and it will mean they're more likely to help you and take it more seriously.
Reply 4
Thanks.

They've given me a health form to fill in, which has a section for this kind of stuff. Do you think I should put anxiety (or even depression) down, even though I've never had a diagnosis?
Reply 5
You dont need a diagnosis to tell your Uni what the problems are, you do need a dignosis or official paperwork to get DSA or SSG.

I have a meeting tommorow about my "disorder" with my Course Leader and she has been very helpful

In my eyes people cant expect Uni's to help if when things happen its the first they know about it ..

I can understand its sometimes misunderstood and often embarassing to talk about but its better out in the long run and you will get more understanding from them :smile:

Good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending