Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Economics or Computer Science Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my A2 year studying economics, ict and maths and i needed some advice on whether it is better to pursue an economics or computer science degree...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It depends on which you are more interested in

ReputationRep:
    Computer science easily.

you can apply to everything an Econ grad can (besides economist roles obviously) and far more, you gain actual skills that are very valuable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    It depends on which you are more interested in

I would say i'm 50/50 which is the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    Computer science easily.

you can apply to everything an Econ grad can (besides economist roles obviously) and far more, you gain actual skills that are very valuable.

ahh really? yea it does seems more valuable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahaitsme)
    ahh really? yea it does seems more valuable
    As long as university prestige wasn't an issue I'd go for CS tbh.

The software skills are incredibly useful, but it is a very hard subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    As long as university prestige wasn't an issue I'd go for CS tbh.

The software skills are incredibly useful, but it is a very hard subject.

yea igy but do uni rankings matter a lot?
    All subjects are hard at uni anyways
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CompSci >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Econ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yea igy but do uni rankings matter a lot?
    All subjects are hard at uni anyways
    Is it me, or are people now picking comp sci because its just there. idk, it seems really popular here but the turnout is always low when you go visit the uni

ReputationRep:
    Economics

ReputationRep:
    All the people I know who do compsci bicep curl less than 10kg.
    Econ lads lift more on average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    CompSci >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Econ

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Compsci won't get you pussy
    Economics will
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Compsci won't get you pussy
    Economics will
    Brb, when I'm a rich tech billionaire and you're still chasing standard tail

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Brb, when I'm a rich tech billionaire and you're still chasing standard tail

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No LOOOOOL look at mark zuckerberg and bill gates and Jeff bezos and most of the big tech billionaires and they get pretty standard pussy. Meanwhile, bankers be getting quality pussy

ReputationRep:
    Study economics, a proper academic quality subject, everyone knows how to use a computer these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    Is it me, or are people now picking comp sci because its just there. idk, it seems really popular here but the turnout is always low when you go visit the uni
    It's really weird. I think all the TSR bros who used to go mad for Finance when I was applying (five years ago) have now got a whiff of the high salaries some elite tech jobs offer, and are now going for CS instead. Applications to Oxford CS (apparently the most employable degree in the country?!) tripled in one year, I think, because everyone wants to be a software engineer and earn (they hope) $$$.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    It's really weird. I think all the TSR bros who used to go mad for Finance when I was applying (five years ago) have now got a whiff of the high salaries some elite tech jobs offer, and are now going for CS instead. Applications to Oxford CS (apparently the most employable degree in the country?!) tripled in one year, I think, because everyone wants to be a software engineer and earn (they hope) $$$.
    You know it :smug::cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faston2k16)
    Study economics, a proper academic quality subject, everyone knows how to use a computer these days
    Not everyone can use python, Java, C++, SQL and whatever other rubbish they have these days and have a degree to show that they can.

you can do 99% of things an Econ grad can do and apply to the same roles, but Econ grads can't do the same as Compsci grads

yea igy but do uni rankings matter a lot?All subjects are hard at uni anyways
    They matter enough

ReputationRep:
    The only people doing compsci are the ones too awkward to study economics and do finance jobs

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.