A-Levels

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I have recently begun my A levels which are English Literature, History and Psychology. I really wanted to do four and my original choices were English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics and French. But my school were never going to offer MFL at A-Level unfortunately, so instead I replaced French with Psychology. Then, I was told that the school would no longer be running Philosophy and Ethics as it had failed to reach a suitable number of applicants, which I was devastated about as it was probably the course I was most excited about. So I decided that if I were to get a good grade in Core and Additional Science, I would do Biology as my fourth. However because our school sets out subjects in option blocks, Psychology and Biology clashed so I could not do Biology - this I found out on GCSE Results Day!
    So I am doing the three despite how badly I want to do four, but I have a nagging feeling that Psychology simply isn't good enough for Russel Group Universities, let alone Oxbridge. I am contemplating with the idea of replacing Psychology with Biology as I feel it would make me look more diverse in university applications. I do not necessarily want to go down a scientific route in regards to degrees, but there is not a single other A-level available for me to do that I think I would be intrigued in and benefit from. So is Psychology a respectable A-level for Russel Group Universities and Oxbridge? And is it worth replacing it with Biology?
    Many thanks and sorry for rambling on so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genevieve.Rose)
    Hello!
    I have recently begun my A levels which are English Literature, History and Psychology. I really wanted to do four and my original choices were English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics and French. But my school were never going to offer MFL at A-Level unfortunately, so instead I replaced French with Psychology. Then, I was told that the school would no longer be running Philosophy and Ethics as it had failed to reach a suitable number of applicants, which I was devastated about as it was probably the course I was most excited about. So I decided that if I were to get a good grade in Core and Additional Science, I would do Biology as my fourth. However because our school sets out subjects in option blocks, Psychology and Biology clashed so I could not do Biology - this I found out on GCSE Results Day!
    So I am doing the three despite how badly I want to do four, but I have a nagging feeling that Psychology simply isn't good enough for Russel Group Universities, let alone Oxbridge. I am contemplating with the idea of replacing Psychology with Biology as I feel it would make me look more diverse in university applications. I do not necessarily want to go down a scientific route in regards to degrees, but there is not a single other A-level available for me to do that I think I would be intrigued in and benefit from. So is Psychology a respectable A-level for Russel Group Universities and Oxbridge? And is it worth replacing it with Biology?
    Many thanks and sorry for rambling on so much!
    Psychology is perfectly fine. Take whichever one you like most and/or will do best in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Psychology is perfectly fine. Take whichever one you like most and/or will do best in.
    Thank you for the advice! When I come to think about it I don't enjoy either one more than the other and I do feel as though Biology will be very difficult. Thank you anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genevieve.Rose)
    Thank you for the advice! When I come to think about it I don't enjoy either one more than the other and I do feel as though Biology will be very difficult. Thank you anyway!
    We also endorse the advice you've received here.

Good luck with your A-levels.

Brasenose Admissions

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.