The Student Room Group

A-Levels

Hello!
I have recently begun my A levels which are English Literature, History and Psychology. I really wanted to do four and my original choices were English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics and French. But my school were never going to offer MFL at A-Level unfortunately, so instead I replaced French with Psychology. Then, I was told that the school would no longer be running Philosophy and Ethics as it had failed to reach a suitable number of applicants, which I was devastated about as it was probably the course I was most excited about. So I decided that if I were to get a good grade in Core and Additional Science, I would do Biology as my fourth. However because our school sets out subjects in option blocks, Psychology and Biology clashed so I could not do Biology - this I found out on GCSE Results Day!
So I am doing the three despite how badly I want to do four, but I have a nagging feeling that Psychology simply isn't good enough for Russel Group Universities, let alone Oxbridge. I am contemplating with the idea of replacing Psychology with Biology as I feel it would make me look more diverse in university applications. I do not necessarily want to go down a scientific route in regards to degrees, but there is not a single other A-level available for me to do that I think I would be intrigued in and benefit from. So is Psychology a respectable A-level for Russel Group Universities and Oxbridge? And is it worth replacing it with Biology?
Many thanks and sorry for rambling on so much!
Original post by Genevieve.Rose
Hello!
I have recently begun my A levels which are English Literature, History and Psychology. I really wanted to do four and my original choices were English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics and French. But my school were never going to offer MFL at A-Level unfortunately, so instead I replaced French with Psychology. Then, I was told that the school would no longer be running Philosophy and Ethics as it had failed to reach a suitable number of applicants, which I was devastated about as it was probably the course I was most excited about. So I decided that if I were to get a good grade in Core and Additional Science, I would do Biology as my fourth. However because our school sets out subjects in option blocks, Psychology and Biology clashed so I could not do Biology - this I found out on GCSE Results Day!
So I am doing the three despite how badly I want to do four, but I have a nagging feeling that Psychology simply isn't good enough for Russel Group Universities, let alone Oxbridge. I am contemplating with the idea of replacing Psychology with Biology as I feel it would make me look more diverse in university applications. I do not necessarily want to go down a scientific route in regards to degrees, but there is not a single other A-level available for me to do that I think I would be intrigued in and benefit from. So is Psychology a respectable A-level for Russel Group Universities and Oxbridge? And is it worth replacing it with Biology?
Many thanks and sorry for rambling on so much!

Psychology is perfectly fine. Take whichever one you like most and/or will do best in.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Psychology is perfectly fine. Take whichever one you like most and/or will do best in.

Thank you for the advice! When I come to think about it I don't enjoy either one more than the other and I do feel as though Biology will be very difficult. Thank you anyway!
Original post by Genevieve.Rose
Thank you for the advice! When I come to think about it I don't enjoy either one more than the other and I do feel as though Biology will be very difficult. Thank you anyway!

We also endorse the advice you've received here.

Good luck with your A-levels.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending