The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
My instructor just tells me to ignore them, luckily i've not got into the habit of checking my mirrors much yet (except when doing junctions and things) so i don't see all the irate drivers behind me.
~Kirsty~
My instructor just tells me to ignore them, luckily i've not got into the habit of checking my mirrors much yet (except when doing junctions and things) so i don't see all the irate drivers behind me.

I once took so long to get started from a set of traffic lights that they changed the dude behind was not impressed and caught up with me and then tailgated till the end of the road.
Reply 182
i would have slowed down just to annoy him even more - or purposely stall.
Reply 183
~Kirsty~
I was going the speed limit and i got over took the other day - so stupid!

Yeh I absolutely hate that. It seems like they just do it to make themselves feel clever or something! I always feel like making some kind of hand gesture but my instructor thinks I'm a nice girl :p:
Reply 184
Just wait till you pass and you can do what you like to them! :biggrin:
Reply 185
i pay £22 a hr, got lesson it a morning im not a morning person so pretty much dreading it lol plus i failed the eye test last week but i dont need glasses for distance (just reading, computer work, tv) so that kind of freaked me out abit
Reply 186
just got back from lesson i have a major problem!!:frown: i "claw" the gear stick rather then "palm" my dad had picked up on it but my other instructors and my examiner didnt pick up on it so dont know if i can change it anyone had/have this problem and whats the best way to get rid of the habit
Reply 187
I would say practise - its like i'm trying my best to break the cross over steering. i think it will come with practise... i also have the problem my steeting veers left whenever i change a gear... ah well!
Reply 188
i used to have that problem but this instructor teaches so different she tells me to put left had on 12(if turning right or right if turning left)and it helps i found im much more comfortable doing it now, i did 40mph today and ive never felt so comfortable maybe its the mini lol but i dont see problem with my gears and clawing but i guess everyone else does
Reply 189
~Kirsty~
I would say practise - its like i'm trying my best to break the cross over steering. i think it will come with practise... i also have the problem my steeting veers left whenever i change a gear... ah well!

Grip the steering wheel hard with your right hand that works ;yes; :smile:
Reply 190
lol - thats what my instructor tells me to do. I have a lesson later - hopefully i'll be better! :biggrin:
Reply 191
:five:
Reply 192
whats 'clawing?'
Reply 193
rozzy
whats 'clawing?'

Putting you hand over the top of the gear stick to change gears
Reply 194
mmm -- thats how my instructor does it anyway.... so thats how i'm doing it.

My lesson didn't go to great today - it had its ups and downs - although my steering when gear changing is better.
bubu
just got back from lesson i have a major problem!!:frown: i "claw" the gear stick rather then "palm" my dad had picked up on it but my other instructors and my examiner didnt pick up on it so dont know if i can change it anyone had/have this problem and whats the best way to get rid of the habit

My instructor told me that as long as I can always effectively change gears then he doesn't mind how I hold the gear stick. I palm because I find it easier to do.
My poor car :frown: My mum's boyfriend was driving her to work this morning and some woman failed to stop at a roundabout (too busy trying to see the traffic joining it) that she went straight into the back of the car. Her insurance is coming to pick my car up tomorrow... but i'm not sure if they'll repair it or just write it off. I'm so damn upset, i have my test coming up soon and now i can't practice privately.
Reply 197
bubu
Putting you hand over the top of the gear stick to change gears

Sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but isn't that the only way to change the gear:confused:
Reply 198
you can push it from the side it's called the " palming method" so pushing it to the left for first&2nd, pushing it with the palm up and down for 3rd and fourth and then from the right to the top for fifth and then down for reverse
sorry really hard to expain :blushing:
Reply 199
suneilr
Sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but isn't that the only way to change the gear:confused:

:laugh: :laugh:

lol I don't know the difference either! Might need to ask my instructor tomorrow.

So palming...is that like pushing the gears...using your palm...so ur hand is like flat??

Is that the official correct way then? Will we get a minor for grabbin the gearstick 'clawing' it....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending