The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

My sister had just over a year of lessons (one a week) and I know that she didnt need that many - but I think the instructor was just letting her continue
Reply 1981
im having my 23rd lesson tomorrow as well.....ermmm i think his taught be everything just need to patch things up..and practice going into roundabouts which seems my problem......i love driving fast thats the best thing...but the area where my test is going to be held....theres lots of dual carriageways but also roundabouts thats stupid im driving in gear 4 at 40mph,......and look theres a roundabout its annoying having to change gear down and then increase as you leave the roundabout grrrr
The test route I want to be on is right near my house, I used to go through it all the time. I've only had one lessons, but it helps that I know the test routes already. Annoying when you have learners reversing the corner into your street EVERYDAY though... especially since the road isn't big enough for two cars!
I had my 23rd lesson today tooo!! :smile: I've got 10 more before my test, I've got to spread them out a bit more as I seem to be using them too quickly in the run up to it!
brokenangel
You nervous when it for

A wee bit just don't know what to expect doing a mock next week will let you all know how that goes, actual test is for 5 weeks today... huge waiting list.
Only done one mock test, did it after about 18 hours I think, failed with 5 majors! Instructor used dual controls 4 times!! Went awfully bad, I just went to ******!

Now, I've had 27 hours and have got my test in a few weeks and only got another 1 hour lesson until it. Not done another mock, instructor says I definitely don't need one...but I'm so nervous about my test already!

Is it normal to feel like your not really ready? I mean, I do feel ready, I know that if I go out, and drive like I do with my instructor, and nothing really unusual comes up that I'll be fine...just dunno how I'll cope with any really strange situations, I tend not to think quick enough then before I know it I'm right on-top of the situation!
Had my 22nd lesson, had a crack at left reverse.

Like someone said when I queried about this before, there are quite alot of reference points. My first time it was hard to realise what to be focusing on. Then next time I did it, I did it pretty well. My steering wasnt too bad, my instructor said that it needed to be quicker and in bigger strides than smaller ones.

Anyone offer me some tips, ATM I seem to be struggling to understand what speed/control is required for different road types (on a hill etc).

But the twice ones that I did, my instructor said I did well for a first attempt.

And also, for changing gears. There's still abit of doubt in my mind that I want to clear. On closed junctions, I should change down to first, lift the clutch to clutch control then creep up to see if I can go or if not, clutch down and wait?

Thanks!

:-)
Aky786UK
Had my 22nd lesson, had a crack at left reverse.

Like someone said when I queried about this before, there are quite alot of reference points. My first time it was hard to realise what to be focusing on. Then next time I did it, I did it pretty well. My steering wasnt too bad, my instructor said that it needed to be quicker and in bigger strides than smaller ones.

Anyone offer me some tips, ATM I seem to be struggling to understand what speed/control is required for different road types (on a hill etc).

But the twice ones that I did, my instructor said I did well for a first attempt.

And also, for changing gears. There's still abit of doubt in my mind that I want to clear. On closed junctions, I should change down to first, lift the clutch to clutch control then creep up to see if I can go or if not, clutch down and wait?

Thanks!

:-)

On closed junctions, come in at whatever gear you want, brake to slow down then drop the clutch and change to first as you are next to the junction. If you've still got a bit to go before the junction, clutch up and crawl forwards. As you get to the line, clutch all the way down and nearly stop, then lift up slightly to creep outwards. That's the way i've been taught anyways.
Reply 1988
Random Question but Are Wheel Spins Illegal? I'm regretting doing one outside my school. I erm over-revved my over revving car and there was a bit of a screech

Just curious?
^ That reminds me of the very first time i drove a car!
I went down to a empty car park with my dad, drove a lil, stopped...went to set off again, wheelspun it and shot off across the carpark!
I have had two lessons (I have only just started due to pure laziness).. and I didn't stall on my first lesson but I stalled twice in a row on my second lesson :frown: And it really bumped my confidence... and I tried traffic lights in the centre of town for the first time... which was fun (lol). Got my third lesson this Thursday... :smile:
Just out of curiousity, was your driving instructor using dual controls in your first lesson... hence you not stalling?

I didn't stall the first few times I drove, but the other person didn't have dual controls, so I was confident. Then it just seemed to get harder with more things to concentrate on.

I'm sure everyone will tell you the same thing - that people just have their bad days. My driving instructor won't take me out of the teeny place he's got me driving in, which is really annoying cos I don't stall, and basically can drive pretty well, he's just not a very good instructor.... grrr. (a bit off topic, but nice to talk about it)
Well my instructor has dual controls, but she said she didn't have to use them (but whether she was telling the truth or not I don't know).
My steering is the best thing... but I can't help but speed... lol
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate drivng with my dad does anyone else find that the second their parents get into the car everything goes to pot hd massive argument over it tonight apparently i arent listening just because everything my instructor says is the opposite of what hes saing argh i wanna cry why thehell do we have to live in a society so obsessed by safety i can drive better without him sat next to me instructors only bothered about manovers yet dads critising everything
Reply 1994
Just chill about it, I bet you have been arguing about gears i.e the old going down gears when approaching roundabouts. Don't worry about it just drive how you feel is best. Probably best to listen to your instructor for the time being, then your Dad after you've passed. Your instructor knows really what you have to do to pass your test. Your dad probs knows how to drive in the real world.

Seriously don't worry about, there is no right way to drive. Your dads probably just abit nervous, just tell him to chill... My dads the same but probably worse...
diamondgeezer
Just chill about it, I bet you have been arguing about gears i.e the old going down gears when approaching roundabouts. Don't worry about it just drive how you feel is best. Probably best to listen to your instructor for the time being, then your Dad after you've passed. Your instructor knows really what you have to do to pass your test. Your dad probs knows how to drive in the real world.

Seriously don't worry about, there is no right way to drive. Your dads probably just abit nervous, just tell him to chill... My dads the same but probably worse...

Try driving with a police officer it hell on earth literaly. Yeah basically it the speed on approuch and dropping down into second when he know i can take it in 4th argh so annoying. Hes so like what if you get killed by someone coming up fast behind and hates my attitude of you only live once so enjoy it and stop worrying about everything
Reply 1996
Tbh I think he may have a point, you should really be taking a roundabout in 4. You should be slowing down, in case there is another car coming i.e round the roundabout.
Reply 1997
i'm sorry you feel so frustrated brokenangel :hugs: I get the same with my mum even now I've passed. It drives me crazy :p: she's always telling me stuff like " wait there's a car there, stop!" coming out of a junction I'm like for ****s sake mum I didn't notice those tonnes of metal approaching me with glaring lights..yes I am that stupid and passed my driving test :rolleyes:. It does suck, and I do ocassionally tell my mum to shut her face...:laugh: but in the long run I try anbd think of the fact that their only trying to protect you. They know that one day you'll be out in the big wide world on your own in your car and they just want you to be safe as possible. Your instructor hasn't got a close bond with you like your family do and also you don't see him as often so therefore you don't feel as frustrated when you're having lessons with him. Also your instructor way has a pretty "uniform" way of teaching (stuff the DSA has on the syllabus) and incorporates his own driving style into it and most parents, I know my mum did, drive nothing like this.

But the going through the roundabout at fourth thing, has this roundabout got good vision? Or is this most roundabouts you go through and is this going straight ahead/left/right? The highest gear I go round a roundabout in is third and that's usually straight ahead when it has good vision but then again I had a different instructor to you.
:ditto: I go round really open quiet roundabouts in third, but generally switch to second.

My dad just sat there and didn't say anything when i drove with him at home! :biggrin: Think he knows instructor knows best!
Reply 1999
~Kirsty~
:ditto: I go round really open quiet roundabouts in third, but generally switch to second.

My dad just sat there and didn't say anything when i drove with him at home! :biggrin: Think he knows instructor knows best!

probably cus you were so good and he didn't feel the need to teach you anything :wink: :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending