The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
Erm try not being so heavy on the gas? Left the clutch up slowly, break smoothly before approaching junctions. It sounds like you're just being heavy on that right foot.
diamondlad
I was hoping one of you lovely people would be able to help, I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment!
Well, pretty much its t junctions, crossroads etc (my instructor is going reallly slow, hence why i might change!) and i just need to know what im doing wrong and how i can improve.
Basically he says i always pull out of t junctions too quickly..yet i can't see how to change it :frown: I get my speed down, change down into 2nd gear, follow the curb round..look around and then accelerate.
Its hard to explain but can anyone possible give there method of pulling out at t junctions/crossroads. Thanks!

What I do:

Coming up to the junction, I start taking speed off and then progressively brake to bring my speed down, I then decide if it's open or closed.
If closed, I continue to take my speed down until a near stop, clutch down, first, up to the line. If I can't see, then creep, if I can see and it's clear - then I go, else I wait.
If the junction is open, i'll take my speed down, making observations up and down the road i'm going into, if it's clear, i'll go into second and take it, looking into the road i'm moving into as I go. If it's not clear, then slow to a near stop, into first and the same as a closed junction.

Indicate in good time, but not too early, and no confusing signals e.g. if the junction has a side road before it on the left, indicate after the side road, or just as you go past it etc.

If i'm turning right, I move over to the right of the lane (left of the cente line) which reinforces my intention to turn right to cars behind, if i'm going left, i'll keep my same position, but remember to follow the curve of the corner - even if you need to stop at the give way line.
hey guys. havn't been on this forum for a while but anyway i've finally booked my driving test! i was so happy when my instructor said i was ready! :biggrin: anyway good luck to anyone with theirs coming up.
I'm just learning to drive, just waiting for my provisional license to arrive. I'm planning on learning as quickly as I can so I can pass before uni, wish me luck everyone :-)
gefmongoose
I did that for the first time over the weekend too, I was parking up, clutch down, and then I pushed the accelerator down (Causing the engine to roar) instead of the break!

glad its not just me who did it then :redface: lol :p:

what part of Birmingham are you learning in? i live in the centre of Brum (Aston Uni) but i take my lessons round where home is (Yardley area), i dont think i'd like having lessons round the centre of Birmingham :s:
Reply 2605
good luck :sugar:
gefmongoose
What I do:

Coming up to the junction, I start taking speed off and then progressively brake to bring my speed down, I then decide if it's open or closed.
If closed, I continue to take my speed down until a near stop, clutch down, first, up to the line. If I can't see, then creep, if I can see and it's clear - then I go, else I wait.
If the junction is open, i'll take my speed down, making observations up and down the road i'm going into, if it's clear, i'll go into second and take it, looking into the road i'm moving into as I go. If it's not clear, then slow to a near stop, into first and the same as a closed junction.

Indicate in good time, but not too early, and no confusing signals e.g. if the junction has a side road before it on the left, indicate after the side road, or just as you go past it etc.

If i'm turning right, I move over to the right of the lane (left of the cente line) which reinforces my intention to turn right to cars behind, if i'm going left, i'll keep my same position, but remember to follow the curve of the corner - even if you need to stop at the give way line.

I see so you pull off in first gear? I don't know what im doing wrong at all :frown:
I get my speed down like you say at closed junctions, follow the curve,put the clutch down when im at a near stop...then it goes messy from there. Once ive changed gear and see its safe do i just proceed to apply gas and bring the clutch up to biting point?
Hope that makes sense..
city_chic
I'm taking my second test at the end of this month... I pray I'll pass 2nd time.

I'm so annoyed that I failed first time though :mad: I drove so so well. I had 12 minors, most of which I truly don't believe I deserved, and one major. He 'explained' my major at the end of the test; something to do with a one-way road and being in the wrong lane... um, yeah. My instructor didn't have a clue what he could have meant either. My friend passed with him on her 2nd attempt and her instructor told her he's the harshest out of all of them... just my luck. Also, my friend only had 2 minors on her first test but about 10 on her second. So I reckon the examiner I had was just mean :frown:

he'll have probably asked you to turn right at the end of a road, and you'll have been in the left hand lane (as if you were turning right at the end of a two-way road, so just left of the middle). that's what it sounds like, anyway?
kitty_koo
glad its not just me who did it then :redface: lol :p:

what part of Birmingham are you learning in? i live in the centre of Brum (Aston Uni) but i take my lessons round where home is (Yardley area), i dont think i'd like having lessons round the centre of Birmingham :s:

I'm at Birmingham University and I get picked up from the university for my lessons. We rarely go into the centre, but we do drive up and down the bristol road, pershore road etc then areas around there (harborne, quinton, bearwood etc) and further out (no idea where! but it's national speed limit roads and countryside).
diamondlad
I see so you pull off in first gear? I don't know what im doing wrong at all :frown:
I get my speed down like you say at closed junctions, follow the curve,put the clutch down when im at a near stop...then it goes messy from there. Once ive changed gear and see its safe do i just proceed to apply gas and bring the clutch up to biting point?
Hope that makes sense..

If I have to stop, or slow to a near stop (< 2-3mph), then i'll go into first and pull off from that gear. If I slow down, and then find it clear (and I have a good view) i'll keep going around the corner in 2nd.
If it's a closed junction (you can't really see either way) do you stop entirely at the giveway line (going into 1st gear) and then 'creep and peep' to see if it's safe? Or do you slow down put keep going around the corner at a slow speed?
Booked my practical today! :biggrin: - 6 weeks away, but at least I've got a definate date now :tongue:
Woohoo =D Good luck =D
Pippaaa
he'll have probably asked you to turn right at the end of a road, and you'll have been in the left hand lane (as if you were turning right at the end of a two-way road, so just left of the middle). that's what it sounds like, anyway?

Oh right, that sort of makes sense, yeah... although I can't remember a road like that, and it still seems a little unfair that it was a major :frown:
Reply 2613
is coasting on a corner = fail?
i would imagine so - depends what you mean by coasting - going round with the clutch fully depressed i would imagine = fail.
~Kirsty~
i would imagine so - depends what you mean by coasting - going round with the clutch fully depressed i would imagine = fail.

why?
Something about not been in control of the vehicle when your coasting, particularly round bends. It was a big no-no from my instructor anyhow. I can't think of a situation where the clutch would need ot be fully depressed for a bend.
You can briefly dip the clutch if you're in second if you're going to fast, but other than that coasting is definitely a big no-no.

Had a good lesson today =D Doing TiR next lesson, and I did a lot of angled pull aways today as well =) And we don't need to stop to explain the next thing most of the time, it jsut gets explained on the way to doing it :smile:
Reply 2618
whats coasting again?
Reply 2619
jus-mi
whats coasting again?

When the vehicle is moving and you have your clutch down, it means the engine is disconnected from the transmission so you have no engine breaking power. It is very bad for many reasons mainly due to lack of control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending