The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
It's 70 on a dual carriageway for cars. I had my 8th lesson today (its 2 hours long, which I find far too long). Tbh it was terrible, I've been driving really well in my Polo with parents on the A1 etc... albeit when its slightly less busier. Today I went driving at 4-6 and I just kept making rashing errors, like stalling, rolling back on hills, and general crap judgement at roundabouts.

It seems I have take 2 steps back. The instuctors car is a focus, and it feels helishly big compared to the Polo in both engine and size terms. The clutch is a bugger as on the polo you can take it virtually right up, on his you have to be oh so gentle.

Does anyone else find this? Or is it me? After a bad start to the lesson I am way to cautious afterward and drive way to slow.
Reply 381
Isn't it 70 on a dual carriageway?
Reply 382
#zomg# you guys are right! how could I have been so wrong for so long
apologies...how embarassing :redface:
Reply 383
message deleted....:afraid:
Reply 384
Isn't it 60 on a single carriageway at national speed limit, and 70 on a dual? :smile:

Don't worry we're all learners! :smile:
Reply 385
~Kirsty~
Isn't it 60 on a single carriageway at national speed limit, and 70 on a dual? :smile:

Don't worry we're all learners! :smile:

yes
No The only time you are allowed to go 70MPH is on a motorway...every other road the highest speed is 60MPh...unless the road signs say otherwise!! But on Dual and single carriageways the speed limit is no more than 60MPH...

A SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY is where traffic flows in either direction on an undivided road (with often has a centre white line marking). The road may have one or more lanes in either direction. It may be subject to any speed limit up to the national speed limit.

A DUAL CARRIAGEWAY is a road consisting of two parts, separated by a central reservation, each part of the road being used by traffic travelling in one direction only. It may be subject to any speed limit up to the national speed limit.

And the national speed limit is 60MPH

PS : The quote is from AA.com
Reply 387
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103

The highway code begs to differ.
Reply 388
It's 70 on a dual carriageway
I know for a fact that it's 70 on the A1.
Reply 390
its 70 on a dual carriage. And with reference to your quote a dual carriageway can actually have more than 2 lanes and be still classed as a dual carriageway.
Reply 391
The highway code says its 70 on duals - i had to learn it for my theory test last month! :smile:
Reply 392
choclateeclaire
No The only time you are allowed to go 70MPH is on a motorway...every other road the highest speed is 60MPh...unless the road signs say otherwise!! But on Dual and single carriageways the speed limit is no more than 60MPH...

And the national speed limit is 60MPH

PS : The quote is from AA.com

well - are you sure about your reference? aa.com is american airlines. I assume you mean: www.theaa.com - which when talking about speed limits say this:

THE NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT applies, ie 60mph on a single carriageway, 70mph on a dual carriageway. You would expect to see this sign at the point where a lower limit ends. Remember that a lower limit than the NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT might still apply to you because of your vehicle or because you are drawing a trailer

This is from: http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/legal/speeding.html
Reply 393
So...it's 70 on a dual carriageway? :biggrin:

Theory on Thursday, I'm alright on the questions but the haz. perception seems a bit hit and miss.
Reply 394
yes its 70 at national speed limit on a dual carriageway. :wink:

Have you been using the computer discs you can get to practise for your theory?
Reply 395
I had great lesson monday even though i had bad hand i still did "palm technique" and she said im getting my confidence back, i just felt bad overtaking another learner driver of 40mph road when they was doing 25/30mph

Feels strange the roads i drive on because its more 40mph then 30mph and were i used to live was mainly 30mph
Did I start a bit of controversy? :p:

I wouldn't say I am a brilliant driver, but I wouldn't say I'm shockingly bad idea. More just medicore.
Reply 397
Looks like it lol - although the idea of going on a dual while i'm so early in learning terrifies me! (although i guess it would be good for confidence). Shame theres only a motorway near me.
Reply 398
well I'm really happy with how today's lesson went , wasn't perfect, bay park took a while but I evnetually parked smack bang in the middle :proud: and rrc first time, very wide but I can improve on that. And paralell park 4th time , well it was veyr downhill and firs ttime in nearly 3 weeks but oh well! I'm completely cool with all other aspects of driving atm :smile: I'm not nervous at all and I feel the car is completely under my control, no stalling, no coasting(a few dodgy gear changes but nothing dangerous) and GOOD LANE DISCIPLINE. The car does what I say :colone:
Reply 399
yay! well done! :smile: I apparantly keep coasting too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending