The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

I've changed my test again, 18th October now.
becky.fm
I've changed my test again, 18th October now.

Good Luck :smile:

Did my 1st turn in the road the other day :biggrin: Pretty successful even if I do say so myself
I have the worst luck when it comes to instructors. :frown:
This guy I went with is a rude obnoxious twit. But he seems like a good teacher but I am really not enjoying my lessons and I haven't driven this badly in ages.
I have my test tomo!!!! aaahhh
Argh, ******* hell. I struggle so much with roundabouts, and my test is a week on Saturday. =| Has anyone got any tips? :frown:
What in particular to do with roundabouts?
becky.fm
Argh, ******* hell. I struggle so much with roundabouts, and my test is a week on Saturday. =| Has anyone got any tips? :frown:

Oh god, same here! had a two hour lesson today, concentrated alot on roundabouts. Its the three lane ones. the only thing i struggle on though is that i hesitate when to pull out, as i don't know whether its safe or not! and then i ended up stopping way over the line:frown:
I never understand whether it's safe or not, so i hesitate (not because i'm slow in pulling away - because i'm worried we'll crash) and then i miss my chance, and have to repeat. My mum says that it's just experience, and i know i've only been driving since the beginning of Sept, but i just can't get the hang of when it's my turn to go. Oh, this is on bigger roundabouts mostly, mini ones i'm fine with.
In which case the only thing you can do is get as much practice as physically possible in between now and your test. There's no short cut to being able to judge when is safe or not, at this point it's far better that you're hesitant anyway :smile:
I had a lesson today. was well good :smile: got another tomorrow. reckon im gunna book my test in a few weeks :biggrin:
Yeah - same! i'm fine with pulling away, its just knowing when its my turn to go! ahhh

and wow you got your test soon considering you've only been driving since september.. good luck!
BananaMuffin
Yeah - same! i'm fine with pulling away, its just knowing when its my turn to go! ahhh

and wow you got your test soon considering you've only been driving since september.. good luck!

Yeah, i find it so hard to judge! It's good to know that i'm not the only one :biggrin:

Well my mum is an ADI, so i just drive all the time with her. :dontknow: Free lessons though. :yes: But then again, we argue alllll the time in the car, meh.

Alex L
In which case the only thing you can do is get as much practice as physically possible in between now and your test. There's no short cut to being able to judge when is safe or not, at this point it's far better that you're hesitant anyway :smile:

Ok thanks, i've got a week and a bit, that should be enough time to practice roundabouts i think :smile:
becky.fm
Ok thanks, i've got a week and a bit, that should be enough time to practice roundabouts i think :smile:

Make your mum take you out at every possible opportunity, and hopefully you'll be fine :smile:
becky.fm
I never understand whether it's safe or not, so i hesitate (not because i'm slow in pulling away - because i'm worried we'll crash) and then i miss my chance, and have to repeat. My mum says that it's just experience, and i know i've only been driving since the beginning of Sept, but i just can't get the hang of when it's my turn to go. Oh, this is on bigger roundabouts mostly, mini ones i'm fine with.

I had this exact same problem when I was learning to drive, especially with one roundabout which was right by the test centre so I was gonna have to do it in my test no matter what. It took me ages to get it sussed, but one day it just kinda clicked. I know that's not much help, but the best thing you can do is just practice.

And try not to be too cautious about it. I know that's easier said than done, but if you go and it's not safe then i'm sure your mum's not gonna let you go! My instructor made me stop in a carpark next to the roundabout and talked me through it and let me watch and take it all in without the stress of being in the car and panicking which did help me a bit
My instructor told me i could book my test today :biggrin: YAY!
I'm scared now though!!!!
Reply 3996
I have had a few hours with a friend who managed to get insurance for me which wasn't too expensive (apparently, I think they are just saying it so I don't feel bad!), have done the stalling at a junction with a bus waiting behind me! :eek:

I finally got over that and did a bypass the other day, corners etc (although I keep cutting onto the other side of the road!). I am either truly awful at positioning (something I thought I would be good at!) or they are being picky because I’m getting told to move left basically all the time even on the bypass when it's straight and looks fine! Will be interesting to see what proper instructor says, will be booking a free lesson tomorrow, think he's quite good so I'll probably go with him for actual lessons then some hours with my friend in between each week.

If I'm accepted for UCAS etc I need to pass before I move hopefully because I just can't see myself getting a new instructor etc on top of moving, I'm not very confident! But after spending money I want to pass! Even if I have to stay here (:angry:) my mate's insurance would run out about then and it's unfair to expect them to get another year’s worth! If I ever pass I'll give them some money or a present or something though

Have to talk to my proper instructor about my theory test, the first part seems ok (watch me fail that part now I have said that!) but the Hazard thing just seems a joke, a friend had their test the other week and said she passed by 2 marks :redface:, as there are 5 points a clip (with 10 for the double one), that could be just a few seconds away from failure, scary! I think I need to do it soon as with only 9ish months I don’t want it holding up my test if I’m ever ready!! I just don't get the hazard part at all, from what I have seen on the DVD (I got the EXACT pass mark!) it's about looking for sheep, cyclists etc etc, surely you have to do that in the proper practical test and if you don't do it you will most likely pick up minors or more likely majors, so what's the point in this money grabbing part which seems to make so many people fail (as then they have to retake the whole lot, rather than pay say £10 to retake the 1 part which I think would be better!?) :confused:

Sorry for the long post!!!! Could write a book lol!

Well done "Meeee :smile:", it must be great to be at that stage, good luck!
Good luck to everyone taking a test soon, people who have failed stay positive, you will pass :smile:
Just had an absolutely awful lesson (only just managed to stop myself bursting into tears in front of the instructor! :o: )

I've nearly had 30 lessons and it was going pretty well; I've done all of the manouvers and was just trying to tidy everything up and make them better. The last 3 or 4 lessons though have just suddenly been a complete disaster, everythings just going wrong and I'm getting flustered and stressed while I'm in the car which just makes things worse! :s-smilie: I'm wondering if its something to do with the timing of my lessons; during the holidays I'd have them at 9 in the morning, but with college I'm having to have them late in the evening.

Ah well I suppose it can only get better from here! Good luck to everyone who has their test soon. :smile:
I can do perfect bay parks now :smile: But i keep stressing at my mum in the car, because when i do a tiny thing wrong, i feel that i'm destined to fail my test :frown:

Although we went through the Maccy D's drive-thru today, and i went completely over the kurb :o: Now thats embarrassing!
Well I'm posting here a tiny bit prematurely (birthday is 13th november), but I don't care :biggrin:

Had a go on private area near where I live (Dad drove there and back of course), only about 25 mins, but 1st go and I was sometimes pulling away pretty smoothly :smile:

No idea how long is standard to be really smooth though. Hoping I can do a bit more practise so I can have a go on the road properly on my birthday! Yep, overly-optimistic! :giggle:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending