The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4380
Oh dear.....I have been concentrating on the question part too much, haven't done Hazard bit for weeks. Just tried it and got 2/1/0/2/3/5/2/2/3. Oh dear.....

Although I think it's slightly harsh. I spotted a flashing yellow light of a crossing coming round a corner, but because the "driver" was concentrating on overtaking a car the first chance the thing gave me to recognise the crossing was after he had moved back to the left. :banghead:

Probably a good thing I brought my test forward so I can have another one soon, don’t think I’ll pass the Hazard bit…. Will be nice to see what the real questions are really like though, a lot of people say it’s easier than the DVD
Zack
Oh dear.....I have been concentrating on the question part too much, haven't done Hazard bit for weeks. Just tried it and got 2/1/0/2/3/5/2/2/3. Oh dear.....

Although I think it's slightly harsh. I spotted a flashing yellow light of a crossing coming round a corner, but because the "driver" was concentrating on overtaking a car the first chance the thing gave me to recognise the crossing was after he had moved back to the left. :banghead:

Probably a good thing I brought my test forward so I can have another one soon, don’t think I’ll pass the Hazard bit…. Will be nice to see what the real questions are really like though, a lot of people say it’s easier than the DVD

The Hazard Perception on the practice disks are always more difficult than the actual one. I found the real one alot easier, the hazards were very easy to spot.

From what I heard, hardly anyone takes practical tests around christmas time so there's alot of free test dates around christmas time?
Reply 4382
The Stig
The Hazard Perception on the practice disks are always more difficult than the actual one. I found the real one alot easier, the hazards were very easy to spot.

From what I heard, hardly anyone takes practical tests around christmas time so there's alot of free test dates around christmas time?

Hopefully! I have been doing a few and I think it's the initial shock of not doing it for a while which got me so low, my scores are 3/4/5 now. I do some and get 5 as I have done them before and know where the hazards are so that defeats the object really. In the real test I think I'll get over 35 so it shouldn't be like I fail massively, especially if they are easier than the DVDs, so it's just a case of trying it and hoping then eventually I'll fluke it and get it right!

Yea a lot of people don't like taking tests during/after xmas. My original was going to be Dec 23rd but I went for 16th then brought that forward to 10th. Checked the free dates again and it's still one on 8th, 9th and 10th (a later slot) plus some on the 17th and Sat 20th plus the 23rd is free. Hopefully the 23rd stays free incase I fail.

It's a shame you can't book some more beforehand and cancel them if you pass, then I could book for 17th as well (or the later one on the 10th :p:).
Reply 4383
FXX
Wow. Whereabouts in the UK are you? Obviously it all depends on how many test centres there are in your part of the country.

I'm in the north-west.

The one in my town just closed, but there are a few others in the area.
Reply 4384
Started on 3 point turn today. Only got to do it once (drove to Keynsham and around a bit so took a while). Reversed in a straight line a bit to get used to it, it was proper strange though. He did 2 examples then I had to do it.... I kind of did it but he had to say like turn it right/left quickly so he might as well have done it himself! He used the brake as I sped off to quickly too lol. Got to do more on Friday....... not looking forward too it.....

He slightly used the brake to stop me hitting the kerb too so I slammed it down and he said well done.... yea only because he did it for me! I have got no hope of this or reversing round a corner, I can never judge it properly :frown:

Is it a minor if you do it wrong (go onto the kerb or something)? If it is I'll just do that and drive on!! I'm thinking it might be a major for failing to complete it correctly :cry:
Zack
Started on 3 point turn today.

Importantly, the manouver is not a '3 point turn', it is a 'turn in the road'. So in your test if you don't manage to do it in 3 points it is not a fail. (However, if it is a wide road and it is easily possible to do it in 3 points then you may be penalised for it).

Is it a minor if you do it wrong (go onto the kerb or something)? If it is I'll just do that and drive on!! I'm thinking it might be a major for failing to complete it correctly :cry:

If you mount the curb in any part of your test it is an instant fail. If you touch the curb I think it is a minor, however I think that can depend on the situation and the examiner. Not entirely sure.
Reply 4386
The Stig
Importantly, the manouver is not a '3 point turn', it is a 'turn in the road'. So in your test if you don't manage to do it in 3 points it is not a fail. (However, if it is a wide road and it is easily possible to do it in 3 points then you may be penalised for it).

Yea I knew you could use more than 3, just everyone calls it the 3 point turn, so when discussing with mates what I did today it was the 3 point turn. But yea in my test I'm taking as many as I feel like. Just realised I did actually manage it in 3 too :eek:, but then that was lucky more than anything else!

The Stig
If you mount the curb in any part of your test it is an instant fail. If you touch the curb I think it is a minor, however I think that can depend on the situation and the examiner. Not entirely sure.

Oh dear..... better hope I'm good at the others and asked to do them then....
Holy crap, my test is in 6 days! i REALLY want to pass!
My test is in 4 days and my Instructor cancelled on me today!
GAH! I'm so annoyed.
Also, I have my Cervical Cancer jab the day before... not fun. My arm's gonna be so sore.
AwesomelyPsycho
GAH! I'm so annoyed.
Also, I have my Cervical Cancer jab the day before... not fun. My arm's gonna be so sore.

I had that jab last tuesday and had a 2 hour lesson wednesday morning. Don't worry i didn't notice any ache when driving.
Reply 4390
BananaMuffin
Holy crap, my test is in 6 days! i REALLY want to pass!

Good luck! :smile:

AwesomelyPsycho
GAH! I'm so annoyed.

Oh dear! Good luck! :smile:
BananaMuffin
I had that jab last tuesday and had a 2 hour lesson wednesday morning. Don't worry i didn't notice any ache when driving.

I had the first one last month and my arm was dead the next day. Thank god I'm having it in my right arm, though... since you don't really use that in driving. As long as my left is okay, it should be fine. Let's just hope I can focus on remembering to check my mirrors...etc. instead of the fact that my arm is sore.

Last month it was just the muscle. Everytime I moved it, it ached.
Zack
Started on 3 point turn today. Only got to do it once (drove to Keynsham and around a bit so took a while). Reversed in a straight line a bit to get used to it, it was proper strange though. He did 2 examples then I had to do it.... I kind of did it but he had to say like turn it right/left quickly so he might as well have done it himself! He used the brake as I sped off to quickly too lol. Got to do more on Friday....... not looking forward too it.....

He slightly used the brake to stop me hitting the kerb too so I slammed it down and he said well done.... yea only because he did it for me! I have got no hope of this or reversing round a corner, I can never judge it properly :frown:

I had a lot of trouble with manouvers before my test - i just couldn't get them right! But they work out in the end. See if your instructor can get a tiny mirror which is clipped onto the top of the left wing mirror.. and you can see the wheel in relation to the curb! I was so thankful to have it there for my test :smile:

And it might seem that the instuctor is doing a lot of the work, but everyone starts like that. How many lessons have you had now?
Reply 4393
becky.fm
I had a lot of trouble with manouvers before my test - i just couldn't get them right! But they work out in the end. See if your instructor can get a tiny mirror which is clipped onto the top of the left wing mirror.. and you can see the wheel in relation to the curb! I was so thankful to have it there for my test :smile:

And it might seem that the instuctor is doing a lot of the work, but everyone starts like that. How many lessons have you had now?

Yea I was wondering afterwards if I should have used my mirrors or something, but I don't think I can see the kerb with them anyway so it's just a guessing game!? I could ask him about a mirror, next time I get the feeling I’ll be doing it myself so I’ll see how badly it goes first!

It was my 9th actual lesson, but the first 8 were getting my driving near test standard (plus driving to some housing estate 20mins away today), I hadn't ever reversed until he told me to earlier.

He said I had the option of trying myself then he'll correct me later, or watching him first, but as I said I never reversed we thought he might as well show me (I had a rough idea but nowhere near good enough). It's strange my mates learnt all this going along with the driving, so by their 9th lesson they were doing things like this pretty well, but my first 8 have been just driving so it's like I'm above their standard for driving, but way below for them for reversing! When I said I’m starting that today, they looked at me like I was crazy, but then I said about how the instructor likes to do all driving first and they were like oh ok lol!

It's supposed to help me doing it this way, but it seems really strange. I was getting on so well, it was good and I was looking forward to lessons, but now I know I'm going to hate Friday's lesson!! The instructor has already said that lots of people use “a lot” of lessons getting all this done ok, but won’t give me a number! I have my last on Friday so that’s 10th which is £180 paid. It’ll take another £360 just to get this I think! :p:.
Zack: If i'm honest, by what you've said in your above post it looks like your instructor is taking the piss.

Nine lessons just driving around, and not even reversed? No instructor does that. Normally you do the manouvers and combine that with driving. For example, I had done all the manouvers by my seventh lesson and after that it was driving around and throwing in manouvers whilst doing so. It was more realistic, and this is what will happen in the test too.

Then your instructor says ''people use alot of lessons'' - If he's a good instructor it shouldn't take ''lots'' of his pupils ''lots'' of lessons to perfect arguably the simplest manouver.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what he said, and his method may be very good - but this is just my opinion.
The Stig
Zack: If i'm honest, by what you've said in your above post it looks like your instructor is taking the piss.

Nine lessons just driving around, and not even reversed? No instructor does that. Normally you do the manouvers and combine that with driving. For example, I had done all the manouvers by my seventh lesson and after that it was driving around and throwing in manouvers whilst doing so. It was more realistic, and this is what will happen in the test too.

Then your instructor says ''people use alot of lessons'' - If he's a good instructor it shouldn't take ''lots'' of his pupils ''lots'' of lessons to perfect arguably the simplest manouver.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what he said, and his method may be very good - but this is just my opinion.

I totally agree with you. While doing manouvers you're practising your general driving, and therefore improving as you go. Trying to get your general driving perfect before starting manouvers would take an extremely long time.
Hi everyone! I just had my birthday a few days ago and have been out in the car a few times with parents. Not started actual lessons yet. But today I went out on actual roads as opposed to just learning the basics on a deserted track of a road. It was so scary seeing cars come towards me for the first time! But also really exciting, if that makes any sense...
Reply 4397
AwesomelyPsycho
I totally agree with you. While doing manouvers you're practising your general driving, and therefore improving as you go. Trying to get your general driving perfect before starting manouvers would take an extremely long time.

Not true. My instructor spent a few lessons getting me confident on the main roads before start maneuvers. Getting the general driving right helps with clutch control (otherwise you'll constantly stall and lose confidence when doing the moves) and maneuvers don't help with things like roundabouts, dual carriageways, one way systems, etc, which are arguably far more important to be confident with. There's no point knowing how to park if you can't approach a roundabout without tearing your hair out.
Hmm i think its all about the individual... he shouldn't generalise people and say they take a certain time, as everyone is different.

Just went out for an hour with my dad... suprising how time goes! just went through a route.. making sure i went over a couple of roundabouts.. was pretty quiet though so was easy! Hmm wanted it to be a bit more busy really.

Did reverse round corner (OK..not 100% though), Parallel Parking (quite good! i like this one!) Bay Park (Quite good at now, had a lot of practise so would be annoyed if i failed on this) Turn in the road (Pretty simple)

Anyone got any last minute tips?! would be helpful!
FXX
Not true. My instructor spent a few lessons getting me confident on the main roads before start maneuvers. Getting the general driving right helps with clutch control (otherwise you'll constantly stall and lose confidence when doing the moves) and maneuvers don't help with things like roundabouts, dual carriageways, one way systems, etc, which are arguably far more important to be confident with. There's no point knowing how to park if you can't approach a roundabout without tearing your hair out.

:smile: I didn't mean starting with the manouvers on the first lessons, hehe.

Of course you have to start with normal driving. But after a few lessons, when you start your manouvers, it helps you with your driving, and clutch control :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending